The Analogue Bandwagon

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
artpunk

The Analogue Bandwagon

Post by artpunk » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:44 pm

It seems everyone is jumping on the analogue bandwagon. Arturia, better known for it's virtual analogue emulations have just announced a hardware analogue synth, with a mini prefix and some interesting similarities to the other 'Mini' recently announced!
Arturia's Minibrute
:!:
Cheers,
Cameron

"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST."
— Frank Zappa

moogslob

Re: The Analogue Bandwagon

Post by moogslob » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:39 pm

I was JUST looking at this, and considering whether to post a link, considering this is the Moog forum and all- haha- 25 keys is a bit wee, but then again, the price is nice! It is a cute lil thang, eh?
Voyager Old School, Etherwave Theremin, Wurlitzer 200A, MS2000, Gretsch Anni, dinged up surfboard x 2

http://www.moped10.com

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:45 pm

Interesting. Polyphony on 25 keys? It's more a tone generator than a musical instrument. I am in the market for a good Midi controller though and i like their Laboratory 61 with two mod wheels. I wonder if there's some feel to it.

moogslob

Post by moogslob » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:49 pm

mono not poly...
Voyager Old School, Etherwave Theremin, Wurlitzer 200A, MS2000, Gretsch Anni, dinged up surfboard x 2

http://www.moped10.com

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:04 pm

moogslob wrote:mono not poly...
Mono. Yeah , right. I stuck on the Origin's page a little too long and had the number 32 on my mind writing about the mono mini thingy here.

muksys

Post by muksys » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:25 pm

I'm gonna wait for some reviews before I get this. Great price point, but only 1 oscillator. Not to mention a lot of kitchy named knobs. May be a great synth, but may also just be a one trick pony that is only good for a specific sound.

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:40 pm

moogslob wrote:I was JUST looking at this, and considering whether to post a link, considering this is the Moog forum and all- haha- 25 keys is a bit wee, but then again, the price is nice! It is a cute lil thang, eh?
Yeah, I was wondering if I should mention it being the Moog forum and all, but I don't think being aware of other new analogue products takes away from Moog's products or dilutes the forum too much but if enough people disagree I'd be happy to remove the post. I just thought it was interesting how Arturia have gone from VA software to software/hardware hybrids to analogue hardware...and the mini thing, minibrute, minitaur, mini me... I thought there were enough parrallels to warrant some form of considered discussion. I own way more Moog products than Arturia (of which I have the Analogue Experience Factory - the keyboard is really pretty good with velocity, aftertouch and mappable controllers, so as a controller keyboard it's a goodn, I was going to use it with the Minataur when I inevitably get one) :D
Cheers,
Cameron

"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST."
— Frank Zappa

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:54 pm

Yeah, watch out Moog, the rise of the one oscillator analog synth made by a software company will likely put you out of business.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:18 am

Things I like about it: all analog, versatile multi-mode filter, "Brute Factor" effect (feedback trick), 2 lfos, 2 true ADSR envelopes, small but usable keyboard with velocity/aftertouch, arpeggiator, reasonably priced.

Things I don't like: only one VCO, no Moog filter. :wink:

I just hope Arturia didn't use the FoD under that front panel for the sliders openings ! :mrgreen:

This should go well with the Minitaur.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:27 am

unfiltered37 wrote:Yeah, watch out Moog, the rise of the one oscillator analog synth made by a software company will likely put you out of business.

Well, maybe not that easily. But Moog will surely have to watch out for serious competitors in the "toy" analog synths market. They should concentrate on building serious professional quality instruments, not less-than-perfect Chinese made problems prone things like their LP/SP.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:23 am

thealien666 wrote: Things I don't like: only one VCO, no Moog filter. :wink:
Well the lack of Moog filter would be a plus point for me as it's always nice to mix things up a bit - unless you want that all-American sound. One VCO is not a problem if it's done well - my SH-09 can attest to that. Not only that but my SH-09 only allows one waveform at a time plus sub osc - the MiniBrute has all its waves mixable (SH-101/MC202-style) and thosw waves can be adjusted in interesting ways (the supersaw and the triangle wave's Metalizer).

As a T3 owner this would make more sense to me as a contrast, whereas the Minitaur might be too much of the same thing (although I'm still GASsing for one).
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:33 am

Indeed only one oscillator but many waveshapes: they chose to have the opportunity to get a personal raw material to sculpt with the filter. This is a Steiner-Parker filter, multimode and sounds good.
It results in a kind of modern Roland SH. interesting.

About the Arturia's products path, one of the guys there states that the vintage analogue culture has always been very present in the company, though it has only given birth to software or VA products so far.

I predict the french Mini will be a success :)

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:39 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:...I predict the french Mini will be a success :)
Yep, looks like a potential success for them.

It's funny how the "mini" prefix has evolved over the years, if you consider the size of the "Mini"moogs ?

Considering the very small size of both new products, maybe they should have been called; Microtaur and MicroBrute instead :?: :)
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

HB3

Post by HB3 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:02 pm

They make the cheesiest commercials ever. Man, it must be great to be running through the streets of Paris to a corny electronica soundtrack.

MC

Post by MC » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:52 pm

During the last half of the 80s, monophonic synths were out of fashion. One note at a time? Get that dinosaur out of here!

Now it has come full circle - monophonics are the rage.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi