Doepfer Maq 16/3 Sequencer... can I get a show of hands...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EMwhite

Doepfer Maq 16/3 Sequencer... can I get a show of hands...

Post by EMwhite » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:54 pm

Lots of threads on sequencers, DarkTime, MFB, Synth.com, original Mood modular, and the Maq 16/3 but not wanting to take this next step, I wanted to ask 16/3 owners (there are at least 2 or 3 of you out there) if they a) still use it, b) intend on keeping it, meaning... it's a keeper not that I want to buy it from you! c) if given the options out there today if they would choose Maq 16/3 all over again.

For reference, I have a mix of CV and Midi gear, like the fact that there are some memories/presets, would rather have SOME more trigger/CV options and very much want to be able to tweak live and ultimately would like to be able to shift a few steps or a fifth via footswitch if possible.

Any other suggestions on a combination of synth.com modules or something else (I've seen no end of products from Moon and others).

(feel free to copy/paste links to other threads if you know of any that this has been discussed in)

Thank you all!
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Just Me

Re: Doepfer Maq 16/3 Sequencer... can I get a show of hands.

Post by Just Me » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:09 pm

Although I still use my MAQ, the best sequencer I've had/have is my STG time suite of modules. They are the ones that are cold dead hands items. My soundcloud and youtube pages have examples of both and also my q119.
Search for medusal obligation on either.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:02 am

a/ Yes
b/ Yes
c/ no

Suggestion: It may not have the "look & feel" of the MAQ or Moon, etc. but if you are using a mix of CV and Midi, I would think the Cirklon is unbeatable.

I've had mine since last August and it's a real joy to work (play) with !! Not sure about the footswitch option though.
http://www.cirklon.com
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:21 pm

fyvewytches wrote:a/ Yes
b/ Yes
c/ no

Suggestion: It may not have the "look & feel" of the MAQ or Moon, etc. but if you are using a mix of CV and Midi, I would think the Cirklon is unbeatable.

I've had mine since last August and it's a real joy to work (play) with !! Not sure about the footswitch option though.
http://www.cirklon.com
Ok. (thanks for the tip) I watched 2 of the 3 videos (the 3rd doesn't seem to be online). The guy is a mad genius. There's no other explanation for a product so well designed and full featured.

Now the only question is: how to buy one in the U.S. with the CV kit and how much of my gear do I have to sell in order to fund!
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:04 am

yes yes yes
try the dutch synthforum ( synthforum.nl ) , they are selling them there regulary, prices something like 350-450 euro's
try to get one with the latest rom

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:05 pm

EMwhite wrote:Now the only question is: how to buy one in the U.S. with the CV kit and how much of my gear do I have to sell in order to fund!
I don't know if they have a dealer in the US but I know that several units from the first production run are with users there. So they may ship directly. Send them an email (tell 'em #081 sent you) and I would recommend not waiting too long, I understand the second production run is currently under way.

You can build the CV break out box yourself, there seem to be a few users who are doing so, I recently saw the required part lists.
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:59 pm

No luck with the cirklon. I've committed to getting one (scraped the $ together but after a few attempts at contacting Sequentix and getting zero response, I can only guess that they do not distribute to the U.S.

And since I cannot read/write Dutch, I have no chance at tracking one down.

So I'm looking at the MAQ 16/3 again but somewhat concerned about lack of switches/skip per step and what looks to be more of a digital interface with cryptic menus.

I seem to be attached to the MFB Urzwerg Pro. If I cannot have a full blown 960 setup with all of the bells and whistles, I think that at least something that looks / feels more Analog will be a good choice. Any feedback on that?

Thank you.

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:15 am

EMwhite wrote:No luck with the cirklon. I've committed to getting one (scraped the $ together but after a few attempts at contacting Sequentix and getting zero response, I can only guess that they do not distribute to the U.S.

And since I cannot read/write Dutch, I have no chance at tracking one down.
Hi,

What has not speaking Dutch got to do with Cirklon. They are designed and hand-built in Scotland. Also I know they are extremely busy, they are in the middle of production of the second run. Each unit is assembled and tested by Colin.

Anyway if you like you can send me a pm with your details and I can contact them on your behalf.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:57 pm

There seems to be an abundance of those things, yet when you consider what you want or don't want, what's available and what's not, etc.. etc... it's not hard to find many, but hard to find THE one.

My dream sequencer would be full analog, modular sized, 2x16, lots of switches, a cross between the Moon and Doepfer's DarkTime.

That's why I am glad I got the MFB Step 64. It does not look like much but highly tweakable in real time, choice between 4 cv's or 4 channel polyphony (other modes too), 118 storage locations, very affordable. It serves me well until THE one shows up.

The DarkTime looks real nice in between CP-251's and foogers, I am so tempted.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:32 pm

Zero response on my attempts to contact Sequentix; based on what I've read about customer support, that may be off the table now.

Moon looks really nice (569) and they have modules for 'pattern presets' but it gets really expensive really fast.

I'm currently trying to see about picking up the MFB Urzwerg Pro. As you said, no perfect one out there but it does offer quite a bit. The few things missing from Urzwerg (from the looks of it) are:

1x32
Ability to tweak any CC (seems only mod, velocity or aftertouch; I forget)
I wish it were just a bit larger and had conventional pots

Otherwise, like the Step64, it offers quite a bit for the money.

But suddenly, I'm attracted to DarkTime again. I really like the layout and the way that the skip feature works. The downside is that it's not much when it comes to the # of steps/tracks.

If I could ask (Portamental), where did you get your Step64 from? Are you in EU or UK? If I go the MFB route, I'll need to buy from a place in UK that ships to US (Juno Records) then roll the dice with regard to import tariff. It seems that not to many of the U.S. outfits want to do business directly with Germany unless they are selling for list price. Volatile exchange rate and other hassles likely the cause and I cannot say I blame them.

Thanks for the feedback.

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:13 pm

EMwhite wrote:Zero response on my attempts to contact Sequentix; based on what I've read about customer support, that may be off the table now.
Not sure what or were you read about customer support but I can tell you that customer support Is second to none. There is a (private) mailing list on which Colin - the designer, engineer, coder, manual author, etc. - is, between soldering and implementing new features, very active.

I think I mentioned they are a small family business, basically two people, and they seem to be completely snowed under right now. They are in the middle of the second production run, each unit is assembled by hand and tested. And they have just sent out all the user manual (fantastic looking binders) to all the first run customers.

Give them time and stick with it.... It's well worth the wait :)

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:20 pm

Well I got good news and bad news, but not too bad.

You may not have to order across the pond.

I buy most of my synth related stuff at this fine store , a name that inspires good things for the most part.

The bad news is, while they stock pretty much the whole MFB line, the Urzwerg is b/o atm, 6 units on order, due in about three weeks.

Just because of the name, you find interesting stuff there, like nice drumsticks for my 1130 ;)

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:47 pm

Have you considered the Klee?
It is DIY but they are available assembled sometimes.
http://m.matrixsynth.com/2011/10/electr ... encer.html

The one in the matrixsynth post was made here: http://freestatefx.com/about/

The Archangel looks cool too
http://www.det3.net/index.html

narapo

Post by narapo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:43 pm

EMwhite wrote:Zero response on my attempts to contact Sequentix
But suddenly, I'm attracted to DarkTime again. I really like the layout and the way that the skip feature works. The downside is that it's not much when it comes to the # of steps/tracks.
I'm with you on this ; also tried to contact Colin & Barbara to pre order a Cirklon from the next available batch ; still got no answer to my email(s) but I will be patient ; from reading the manual and the videos, it seems to fill all my needs.

I've already got a DarkTime ; it is a fun box, but the limitations are too many ; compared to the Cirklon, it seems to me just a toy with a good "Moog-alike" look.

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:38 am

narapo wrote:I'm with you on this ; also tried to contact Colin & Barbara to pre order a Cirklon from the next available batch ; still got no answer to my email(s) but I will be patient ; from reading the manual and the videos, it seems to fill all my needs.
Hi,

I was in contact with Barbara yesterday. They really are extremely busy at the moment and indeed, do not have the time to answer new requests. The second run is sold out, I understand units from the 3 production run should be available in May.

She did say that she would be replying in a day or two to the person for whom I was writing, I don't know if that applies to all new requests.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated to Sequentix in any way... just a happy user of an incredible device :D