Modular synth compatable with Moog

Everything Phatty.
hughyg

Modular synth compatable with Moog

Post by hughyg » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:41 pm

Hi guys

I'm looking at starting a modular synth project.I want something that can integrate with my Moog Little Phatty which uses 5v CV. I'm going to start with something really basic like a LFO (or perhaps an oscillator), midito CV, filter and mixer.
Ideally I would like to have 10-20 modules.
I'm hoping I can get something that can act like the CP-251 then as I add modules can be a separate synth. From what I can work a Doepfer/euro rack stuff wouldn't work as it is 12v.
If you have any recommendations that would be much appreciated. Also, I'm in Australia so preferably something that I can buy no one as it is hard to find a modular synth retailer here!

audiostatic

Re: Modular synth compatable with Moog

Post by audiostatic » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:27 pm

Some good info here ––––>

muffwiggler.com
MF-101, MF-102, MF-104z, MF-105 MuRf, MF-107, CP-251, LPTE 0029 Cv Out Mod 3.1

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:49 pm

hughyg wrote: I'm hoping I can get something that can act like the CP-251 then as I add modules can be a separate synth. From what I can work a Doepfer/euro rack stuff wouldn't work as it is 12v.
The 12V is just the power supply the Doepfer/Eurorack gear is generally powered from. This is not going to matter when interconnecting anything in a modular system.

The only thing to consider are the control voltages each individual module produce. I currently use my Eurorack modular with my Voyager and MoogerFoogers and it only requires a few level tweaks between the two systems. As suggested you should check out Muffwiggler.com/forum and don't hesitate to ask questions. It's a very friendly site and there are many Moog/Eurorack users who can give you advice on your journey.

Just be carefull... It's very addictive! :wink:

Cheers!
BTW, PM me if you need some initial setup advice!!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:57 pm

I am actually working on building a modular system. I plan on making a few attenuators with analog voltmeters built into them so I can adjust the voltage going into my Moogs, and know exactly how much voltage is going into them. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

hughyg

Post by hughyg » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:34 am

Voltor07 wrote:I am actually working on building a modular system. I plan on making a few attenuators with analog voltmeters built into them so I can adjust the voltage going into my Moogs, and know exactly how much voltage is going into them. :mrgreen:
ha ha you dont want to build me one!! :wink:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:27 pm

hughyg wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:I am actually working on building a modular system. I plan on making a few attenuators with analog voltmeters built into them so I can adjust the voltage going into my Moogs, and know exactly how much voltage is going into them. :mrgreen:
Just giving you an idea of a workaround to that problem. I'm using cheap $10 meters. The whole thing will cost me a couple hundred bucks. I'm sure that if you can't build one yourself you could get someone else to. You will need both AC and DC meters, and remember that square waves are DC. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

hughyg

Post by hughyg » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:58 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
hughyg wrote:
Just giving you an idea of a workaround to that problem. I'm using cheap $10 meters. The whole thing will cost me a couple hundred bucks. I'm sure that if you can't build one yourself you could get someone else to. You will need both AC and DC meters, and remember that square waves are DC. :wink:
I can honestely say that the only thing I know about ACDC is that it is a bogan Aussie band that everyone seems to like in the US, but not in Australia!!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:13 am

AC is alternating current. Sawtooth, sine, ramp, and triangle type waveforms are expressions of alternating current, measured with an AC voltmeter. DC, or direct current, is expressed by a square or pulse wave, and is measured on a DC voltmeter. The voltmeters I have go from 0-15V.