Midi MuRF sync. with Eventide Space, Time Factor problem

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
HaloHalo0407

Midi MuRF sync. with Eventide Space, Time Factor problem

Post by HaloHalo0407 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:32 am

Hi,

I'm a beginner to MIDI control, recently set my pedal board done and try to sync them with Midi signal. The signal chain is:

Eventide SPACE ---midi---> TIME FACTOR ---midi---> Midi MuRF

I use one expression pedal to control Eventide SPACE & TF, set the SPACE as master and TF as slave.
(learned the tip from here: http://forum.eventide.com/cs/forums/p/6044/26092.aspx)
With an aux switch (like this one: http://this1smyne.com/shop/e4-eventide-aux-switcher/) , I can simultaneously tap tempo the SPACE & TF.

Now I encountered the problem that I don't know how to sync the TF's tempo toward the MOOG MuRF (connected from TimeFactor's Midi OUT to MuRF). The TF's midi output set on [XMT], midi clock set [ON], but the MuRF didin't follow the TF's tempo. I don't know where the trouble is, the midi channel setting or anything else.

I'm totally ain't good at Midi issues, need some help from someone who know Eventide midi control well, please.

Thanks!!

Sir Nose

Re: Midi MuRF sync. with Eventide Space, Time Factor problem

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:40 am

The first thing to check is that the time factor is capable of echoing the incoming midi clock. Some devices will receive an external clock and send its internal clock, but not send an external clock it received through its out. If that is the case you need a midi splitter. That way you could set the space as master split the midi out to both the timefactor and murf.

If the time factor will echo the incoming clock, I am not sure. Clock is independent of channel. Will the Murf receive the clock directly from the spacefactor without the timefactor in the midi chain?

You shouldn't have to simultaneously tap tempo both the space and TF, if the TF is receiving midi clock from the space. Tap tempoing the space should give the TF the same clock through midi.

HaloHalo0407

Post by HaloHalo0407 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:21 pm

Sir Nose wrote:The first thing to check is that the time factor is capable of echoing the incoming midi clock. Some devices will receive an external clock and send its internal clock, but not send an external clock it received through its out. If that is the case you need a midi splitter. That way you could set the space as master split the midi out to both the timefactor and murf.

If the time factor will echo the incoming clock, I am not sure. Clock is independent of channel. Will the Murf receive the clock directly from the spacefactor without the timefactor in the midi chain?

You shouldn't have to simultaneously tap tempo both the space and TF, if the TF is receiving midi clock from the space. Tap tempoing the space should give the TF the same clock through midi.

Thanks for your reply! I'll try to settle the midi clock output issue of TF, also posted this situation on Eventide's forum and will let you know. BTW, I only send the expression pedal status MIDI signal from SPACE to TF, not including the tempo value. (it's really great letting two eventide factors to share one exp. pedal.) The tempo is simultaneously tapped by the AUX switch using TRS signal. So, just like most pedal with tap tempo function do, that's tap tempo only,the TF didn't receive the external midi clock from SPACE. Or, will it interfere with the Midi clock n' messing up the sync. of TF & MuRF?

And,... Happy new year!!

puzzlegob

Post by puzzlegob » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:46 pm

Changing the MIDI OUT value from XMT to THRU should work., (and you should only need to set tempo on the Space to sync all 3 pedals)

I don't have my gear in front of me at the moment, but I've had the MIDI MuRF Synced through the same Eventide boxes.

HaloHalo0407

Post by HaloHalo0407 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:57 am

puzzlegob wrote:Changing the MIDI OUT value from XMT to THRU should work., (and you should only need to set tempo on the Space to sync all 3 pedals)

I don't have my gear in front of me at the moment, but I've had the MIDI MuRF Synced through the same Eventide boxes.

THX! I tried to re-setup my pedal as TF----SPACE----MuRF , exp. control into TF as master & SPACE as slave, with other setting unchanged, then set the SPACE's midi clock output "on", Midi out "XMT". Thus, the Rate on MuRF turned to orange!! I don't know why it worked fine with SPACE but ain't with TF. Hope my experience would help someone like me.

But more situation comes. I noticed two things, first, SPACE and MuRF doesn't completely synchronized. Does it need SPACE send a "midi start signal" or something to let them flash on the same start point when I tap the SPACE?Second, that the tempo isn't exactly the same, ex: when I tap 70/bpm on SPACE, the MuRF rate would flash, the "Rate" knob on control panel was set at 12 'clock, value "5". But it get better when I set the "Rate" to value "5.5".

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:04 am

Depending on the version of Firmware in your MurF, you WILL need a clock start command. I believer there are now various modes for this and a Midi CC to toggle (check the manual). But IF your light is flashing yellow, then you are 'running' according to Midi.

What you are likely see is the clock divider which is, as you know, controlled by RATE. On my MurF, the knob at around 4 equals 4/4 time (quarter notes). Moving it anti clockwise will change to triplets, towards whole notes, etc. and moving it clockwise will go in the other direction through 1/8 notes, 1/16ths and other variations.

Because the Pedal uses analog components (potentiometers), there are not detents and therefore the smooth scale must be interpreted by the microcontroller within the MuRF so it's rather tricky. You just need to get yourself familiar with where particular values lay.

And yes, it certainly helps to start to reset the clock while doing this.

If you search here, there are many other threads covering the same topic. It's a source of some frustration among new users but sounds like you are 95% there!
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

HaloHalo0407

Post by HaloHalo0407 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:09 am

EMwhite wrote:Depending on the version of Firmware in your MurF, you WILL need a clock start command. I believer there are now various modes for this and a Midi CC to toggle (check the manual). But IF your light is flashing yellow, then you are 'running' according to Midi.

What you are likely see is the clock divider which is, as you know, controlled by RATE. On my MurF, the knob at around 4 equals 4/4 time (quarter notes). Moving it anti clockwise will change to triplets, towards whole notes, etc. and moving it clockwise will go in the other direction through 1/8 notes, 1/16ths and other variations.

Because the Pedal uses analog components (potentiometers), there are not detents and therefore the smooth scale must be interpreted by the microcontroller within the MuRF so it's rather tricky. You just need to get yourself familiar with where particular values lay.

And yes, it certainly helps to start to reset the clock while doing this.

If you search here, there are many other threads covering the same topic. It's a source of some frustration among new users but sounds like you are 95% there!

Huge THX! It's really frustration to me, but it's getting better to me and understand more about MIDI, though still can find out any system command to let SPACE sending the "MIDI start" signal.

If anyone know how to make SPACE, or any eventide stompbox, to send out MIDI start signal or any other method to reset the MuRF's patter to beginning, please let me know or just a hint will be fine. I'll really really appreciate.

Thanks for reading. :DD

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:26 pm

I am not sure about the Eventide pedals, but most pedals do not send start/stop/restart commands.
I have not used this with a murf just a sequencer, but something like http://www.midisolutions.com/prodfsw.htm
would be the easiest solution. There are other devices but most are not that small if space is an issue.