Moog to Debut new instrument NAMM 2012

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
LivePsy

Re: Moog to Debut new instrument NAMM 2012

Post by LivePsy » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:11 pm

Yes, and make sure we concentrate on how much better transistors were because they were wildly unreliable in the 70s, how the lead solder connections gave a purer bass and that only batches of incorrectly marked resistors from a bargain grab bag give an authentic analog sound...

I am excited that Moog have a new instrument rather than a guitar stomp box, but we'll see it is repackaging or something actually new.
I've stopped talking now.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:42 pm

Just found a blast from the past, a flyer from Summer NAMM 1981 where Moog introduced the Rogue. Another great Moog debut!
On the back, where even in 1981 they claimed Moog has a FAT tone:
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:08 pm

That big title could almost apply to this year also ... :roll:

I had a Realistic MG-1 for many years (the Rogue's half brother) and enjoyed it thoroughly, extracting every once of new sounds out of it ! I had bought it used at the time for $120 (at a flea market), it was the only Moog I could afford (I was 21 and a still a student then, working and going to school. This was around 1986)... How time files...

One strange thing about the Rogue that I've never understood though: why engineers decided to put only one waveform selector switch, and one range selector switch for both OSC 1 and 2 ? My MG-1 had independent selectors for each OSC, which was much more interesting.
But the rogue did have those mod wheels which I wish my MG-1 could have had also...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

MC

Post by MC » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:45 pm

thealien666 wrote:One strange thing about the Rogue that I've never understood though: why engineers decided to put only one waveform selector switch, and one range selector switch for both OSC 1 and 2 ? My MG-1 had independent selectors for each OSC, which was much more interesting.
But the rogue did have those mod wheels which I wish my MG-1 could have had also...
The Rogue was designed to retail for $500, they omitted two switches to keep within this goal.

As for the MG-1, Radio Shack didn't want the wheels so the switches could go back in without raising the cost.

I remember when Radio Shack was selling those MG-1s in stores. The salespeople had no clue how to tweak them. I would play around with it and they'd ask me to leave it set to something saleable when I was done.

And even worse, they got Elton John to pose with one in their catalog...?!?
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:07 am

MC wrote:...I remember when Radio Shack was selling those MG-1s in stores. The salespeople had no clue how to tweak them. I would play around with it and they'd ask me to leave it set to something saleable when I was done.

And even worse, they got Elton John to pose with one in their catalog...?!?
Yeah, I remember doing the same thing back in the days. I knew a guy at my local RS store and he would let me play on their demo unit for hours, provided I did not leave the unit with an "ugly sound" after I left... funny stuff...... I even remember one time when I was using osc sync and changing OSC 2 tuning and came running beside me and asked: "wow, how did you do that sound again ?"
At that original price tag though, I could not believe I would ever be able to afford one. According to 1982 RS catalog on page 23, in the USA it was "only" $499.95... (but here in Canada I remember it was more like $899)
http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalogs/1982/
Click the link above and go to page 23 to see the original advert.

Yeah, and that Elton John marketing crap...
Last edited by thealien666 on Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

monokit

Post by monokit » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:18 am

The request for a poly-moog is totally bullshit. The same ppl. who scream for one, will be the first ones who will not buy one, since "it doesn´t fart as good as the oid xyz Moog, so it isn´t a real Moog". That´s what those ppl. will say for sure. Mark my words. So shut the bleep up about a poly-moog and do your music with what you have. If you really want a real analog poly synth...go buy a Vermona Perfourmer. Or buy an Omega 8. Or Prophet 08.

My 2 cents.

ARP

Post by ARP » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:48 am

:lol: please tell how you really feel about people who'd like to see a polyphonic moog :roll:
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

moogslob

Post by moogslob » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:50 pm

The same ppl. who scream for one, will be the first ones who will not buy one, since "it doesn´t fart as good as the oid xyz Moog, so it isn´t a real Moog"
:lol: :lol:
Voyager Old School, Etherwave Theremin, Wurlitzer 200A, MS2000, Gretsch Anni, dinged up surfboard x 2

http://www.moped10.com

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:02 pm

well sounds like a lot of populistic screaming to my ears...

whatever the guys bring, will be welcomed, no doubt.
( oh please let it be a polymoogII... )

moogslob

Post by moogslob » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:03 pm

two bucks it's a bass-
but a drum machine would be my dream release-
Voyager Old School, Etherwave Theremin, Wurlitzer 200A, MS2000, Gretsch Anni, dinged up surfboard x 2

http://www.moped10.com

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:48 pm

I think it's going to be something on the moderate cost side, I heard a rumor that it would have something ribbon controller based and be Phatty-ish. The name certainly speaks modular (as in, rack mount or desktop MODULE) but with a Taurus innards; but somebody here raised the "what is the market for that, really..." so I don't know.

Korg is making a bundle selling *tron/tribe units; Moog has done very very well with their iPad/iPhone apps; there is limited demand for a blockbluster Poly so think of something that is in between an app and the $3-4000 product that people here seem be clamoring for. Yes that's a big gap between.

Personally, I want one of those Schmidt Poly's but it cost more than my car. I also want an Alesis A6 but missed the boat and now they are $4k.

Practically speaking, you're not going to get the wedding band guy to give up his Stage Piano or Nord. You're not going to get the touring musician to give up his Motif; the new Jupiter sure looks fancy and nice but is also big bucks.

So do as Dave Smith has done and put something together that is going to fly off the shelves; he's got a handful of products that he released since the first Evolver that are sub $1,000.

Unfortunately, these are all manufactured overseas and while another Fooger would be nice or a module for this or that would be handy, that's not exactly an instrument.

I was holding out for the rumored Tom Oberheim 2-Voice but maybe Moog will have something just different enough to be interesting........

Otherwise, the comment above about NOT making the local crowd [here] happy is spot on and very very funny.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:21 pm

I don't understand why smaller companies like Analogue Solutions or Cwejman can make a range of different personality synths but Moog has really only one in a few packages. You know, the brand Moog is such an icon its like even a filter which isn't Bob's ladder filter is unmentionable. The Foogers are all based on existing effects. This company is too stuck in the past. Create something weird, risky and imaginative. Because right now it neither emulates the past, nor innovates.

Said with the deepest love for synths, irrespective of who makes them.
B
I've stopped talking now.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:42 pm

monokit wrote:The request for a poly-moog is totally bullshit. The same ppl. who scream for one, will be the first ones who will not buy one, since "it doesn´t fart as good as the oid xyz Moog, so it isn´t a real Moog". That´s what those ppl. will say for sure. Mark my words. So shut the bleep up about a poly-moog and do your music with what you have. If you really want a real analog poly synth...go buy a Vermona Perfourmer. Or buy an Omega 8. Or Prophet 08.

My 2 cents.
No it's not, it's a legitimate request. Also, we want one, but we also want one to work well upon release, with little to no bugs.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:13 pm

Fun to speculate but only time will tell :) . My guess is it will be something to work with or similar to the Animoog since the “announcement” was tied to the Animoog Holiday Song contest. Could be another App to work with the Animoog, could be something to control the Animoog or something with the Animoog built in. Or, it could be the combination PolyMemory everyone wants… :) .

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:53 pm

Is this it ? I've quickly read 24 bit AD resolution, and analog inputs, and stuff like that !

http://www.rmc.com.tr/en/dewe-minitaur/

OH shoot. I though it was an 8 voices Moog-in-a-box... But upon reading further, it's just a vehicle data acquisition system. :cry:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion