Animoog for iPhone - a great little Christmas present

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
Omaroo

Animoog for iPhone - a great little Christmas present

Post by Omaroo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:38 pm

Thank you Moog :)

It works very nicely on the smaller iOS device too. Buttons are a little small for large fingers, but I understand the necessity for an adequate number of controls and the hard fact that there is limited real estate available. A good compromise I think. I like the separate keyboard surface page, it's very practical. MIDI works beautifully over an ad-hoc Mac WiFi network session for those with it - means that without the iRig MIDI system (that allows for the application of constant device power via USB) I can just plug the phone into its standard USB power wart and run forever. Playing on the external keyboard via Live8 to both Animoog and my Phatty, and still using the phone's on-board expression surface is fantastic.

MIDI out to capture its CC output and I'd be ecstatic! :)

One thing that is truly awesome is running both the iPad and Phone simultaneously on the same preset with one de-tuned a little. Wow... and with the Phatty set to low-note prio thrown into the mix it's a killer combo.

Merry Christmas all!
Sub 37 Tribute, Waldorf Blofeld, MF-104M SD, Axiom 25, UMX-610, Propellerhead Balance, Truth B1030A mons, MacBook Pro i7, Live 9, Logic 10, Animoog.

FRB1420

Re: Animoog for iPhone - a great little Christmas present

Post by FRB1420 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:43 pm

I wish it worked with the third generation iPod Touch! I'd love to get it, but I'm not willing to buy a new iPod.

Zoomer

Post by Zoomer » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:02 am

I have to second how great this app is. As an iPod Touch 4G user, I felt really left out in the cold by Animoog's absence on that platform. Now I know by how much!! Animoog is a great virtual synth. It could be a VSTi, but it's the playability of the interface that wouldn't port in that context and makes it so pleasant to play.

So inevitably, here's my list of nitpicks. Good news: it's all cosmetic! On the whole a lot of things are well done but since I can't compare to the iPad version, I can only tell you what I find awkward on the iPod.

1. While Preset and Timbre selection is pretty good, it's so small that's it's hard to pick the selection you want. Maybe bigger fonts might help, but I think forward/back arrows somewhere would be a good solution too, especially for the Presets.

2. I have a really hard time grabbing the keyboard enlarging or narrowing buttons; the range is fine. Also, maybe changing the max top and max bottom button color would indicate that max is reached. I personally wouldn't mind a narrower keyboard and more keys: for more experimental textures, wide range can be more important than pitch accuracy. One more thing: I wouldn't mind having a entire page dedicated to the keyboard, with additional functionality for key range switching, more notes per width, sustain and other performance switches.

3. When selecting in the Page list, the finger covers the selections. It might be better to allow pressing the page button and slide down under that heading to select the revealed pages.

4. OK, one non-cosmetic wish ;) : I would like to be able to specify the recording length and know when it's about to expire. A time specification entry and a progress bar would do the trick.

BTW, I've been able to play Animoog from the AKAI Synthstation 25, through MIDIBridge. Keys, pitch and mod work fine. Would be nice to have preset up/down.

Thanks to Moog for including us non-Pad uers in the Animoog Trip! I'm having a great time :)
Last edited by Zoomer on Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

bafonso

Post by bafonso » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:22 am

Omaroo wrote:Thank you Moog :)
[...]
MIDI works beautifully over an ad-hoc Mac WiFi network session for those with it - means that without the iRig MIDI system (that allows for the application of constant device power via USB) I can just plug the phone into its standard USB power wart and run forever. Playing on the external keyboard via Live8 to both Animoog and my Phatty, and still using the phone's on-board expression surface is fantastic.

MIDI out to capture its CC output and I'd be ecstatic! :)
[...]
Merry Christmas all!
I registered just to also let moog know that if they implement MIDI out and the ability to map MIDI/cc to the parameters this is going to be an insane little app. I just love the sounds I can get out of it but why oh why can't I record that into Logic as MIDI to tweak the performance? :-)

MIDI OUT for Christmas! v1.0.2 :)

si-rus

Post by si-rus » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:14 pm

Awesome app. I'd already bought the iPad version at the $0.99 release price even though I don't own an iPad.

Needless to say I didn't mind paying the same again for the iPhone version now that I can actually use it :D
FRB1420 wrote:I wish it worked with the third generation iPod Touch! I'd love to get it, but I'm not willing to buy a new iPod.
A user on idesignsound.com posted that it has been tested working on the 3rd gen iPod touch.

It does seem to have some glitches in the audio at times though which is possibly why Moog opted to set the min spec at 4th gen