Problem With LP Mod Wheel

Everything Phatty.
jeepster

Problem With LP Mod Wheel

Post by jeepster » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:59 am

Hi. I got my Little Phatty about 1 and a half months ago and it's great, a beautiful instrument. However, last week i noticed a little problem with my mod wheel. I'll put an example with the vibrato setting (source: triangle; destination: pitch) , since this is the setting that i use the most: When I'm playing and turn up the mod wheel I get the vibrato, but when i take it down sometimes the effect is still there, of course not as noticable as when the mod wheel is up (if you set the amount knob high it gets pretty noticable,though) but it's there, It's like it doesn't get to zero sometimes (notice that i use the word sometimes, this doesn't happen ALL the times that I turn down the mod wheel). I don' know If this is something normal with this kind of synth or if I'm having a real problem, so I came here looking for some advice.

thealien666

Re: Problem With LP Mod Wheel

Post by thealien666 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:29 am

If it's covered by warranty, bring it back to the store where you bought it, or contact Moog Music to have them take a look at it. It's definitely not a normal behavior of the mod wheel. Possibly a defective, or "scratchy" mod wheel potentiometer, or a problem with the ADC circuit.

Otherwise, get a qualified tech to check that mod wheel.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:14 pm

When it does "happen" try turning down the modulation amount with the knob in the modulation section. That way you can at least isolate if it is the mod wheel or something else. If the knob in the mod section doe not turn it down, it is internal. If the the mod amt knob does turn it down, it is just the wheel. The LHC (left hand controller) section of the phatties does need to be replaced from time to time depending on playing style and age of the instrument (every 5 to 10 years). The replacement price on the part is very reasonable.

jeepster

Post by jeepster » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:52 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I think i found out what the problem is with my wheel: It seems that It has a litle bit of "horizontal movement" so to speak. Yesterday while I was checking the synth again I gently moved both wheels to the sides to see how sturdy they were, the pitch bend wheel was like a rock, didn't move an inch. But the mod wheel did move a little bit. I tried this with the synth on and found out that when the mod wheel is tilted to the left I get my problem (the effect doesnt go away completly) but if I stop that tilting by turning up and down the mod wheel with my finger on the left side of the wheel (pressing slightly so that the wheel doesnt go to the left) the problem dissapears! So at least I'm happy that I know the root of the problem and how to temporarily solve it. I'm guessing that It's a small thing, like a nut or a screw in the mod wheel that needs tightening or something like that. I could send it to moog music for them to check it out, I do have a small limitation tough, since live in the other side of the continent (Uruguay). So you can see that I'm a little hesitant about sending my synth thousands of miles to the USA and back just to check out this little problem, especially when I take the economic factor into account. So I think that for now I'll use the mod wheel like I said before since it has solve my little difficulty. I have been thinking in opening up the synth and try to fix it myself since It seems like such a simple problem, but the idea of losing my beautiful moog sound in the process is just too scary, guess I'll see how this thing develops in the future and then make my move. Anyway, thanks again for the replies!

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:22 pm

jeepster, contact Moog Tech support before you open up the LP. The Mod wheel on the LP is a bit finicky but I'd say based on the description of your problem it could be nothing more then a simple adjustment. But, I wouldn't approach this without contacting MOOG! They're very friendly helpful and will guide you through the problem.

Villa101

Post by Villa101 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:21 am

Hey,

I seem to be having the same problem with ny novation sl25MKII (I have a moog voyager rme). I turn my "modulationwheel" up, to hear the effects come to play. But when I turn it down, I would expect it to "be set to zero". But the modulation is still there. Is there a setting I am missing somewhere?