Moog to Debut new instrument NAMM 2012

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Rabalder

Re: Moog to Debut new instrument NAMM 2012

Post by Rabalder » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:34 am

Maybe the word "instrument" isnt to be taken literally. It just sounds better than "product"...?

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:16 am

To be honest, I feel like another Taurus would be pretty redundant. Do we need a rack mount edition? No, go buy a Slim! Despite what the name "Minitaur" implies, I think a Taurus RME is both unlikely, and unnecessary.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:36 am

Is it any more redundant than:

Voyager Performer, Voyager RME, Voyager Select, Voyager Old School, Voyager XL
Little Phatty Stage One, Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty
Etherwave, Etherwave Pro, Etherwave Plus
MF104, MF 104SD MF 104z
MF105 MF105B MF105M
MF101 (filter) MF103 (filter) Mf105 (Filter) Ladder 500 (Filter)?

I agree that the Taurus has very limited appeal, but more appeal in RME format than in Bass pedal format. If you are considering buying an analog synth, you'd definately consider it with some Slims if the price is right.

And the Voyager and Phatty.....They don't approximate the Taurus.

I'd be dissapointed if it was software.

:D
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:47 am

The reason a rackmount/tabletop taurus makes sense is that most of the R&D is already done. It will not cost Moog much compared to a new synth from scratch. More users will spur on OS developments. Win-Win!

I did not have much interest in the taurus pedals (size and I can not play with my feet too well). But, I do love the taurus sound. I would seriously consider a tabletop taurus 3. The tough part is Moog coming in under the price a used set of taurus 3 pedals are selling for.

johnll

Post by johnll » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:03 am

I'm going to go out on a limb and here's my guess.
Remember the contest says that the instrument is "awesome." I'm not sure an RME Taurus qualifies completely for the "awesome" tag.
With the apps, Moog has shown a capacity to do nice digital modeling of the analog sounds.
So I'm going back to the poly idea. But it's not going to be pure analog poly. It's going to be a hybrid where some part of the signal path involves DCOs or other things in software, and some other part of the signal path is analog.
But that's just a total guess in the dark. :D

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:07 am

Question for taurus 3 users:
Wasn't the arp on the taurus 3 more powerful than the phatties? If I remember correctly, it was most of the way to a pattern sequencer, just missing the interface?

A pattern sequencer interface on a taurus engine would meet the "awesome" moniker.

timmy

Post by timmy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:23 pm

i'm aware that it is the holiday season, however, there has been a massive spike in cheap T3 eBay auctions by the big warehouse music retailers. Musicians Friend has an auction for $1699 x 10 units, etc. I would lean towards this being a rack mount T3 of some sort. Bummer for me as I have 2 sets of T3s already.

I really want a POLY MOOG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go analog: Moog Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Tom Oberheim
Go plastic: Roland, Yamaha, Korg

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:53 pm

timmy wrote:i'm aware that it is the holiday season, however, there has been a massive spike in cheap T3 eBay auctions by the big warehouse music retailers. Musicians Friend has an auction for $1699 x 10 units, etc. I would lean towards this being a rack mount T3 of some sort. Bummer for me as I have 2 sets of T3s already.

I really want a POLY MOOG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, if you can afford 2 sets of T3s, you probably can afford 1 Little Phatty and 7 Slim Phatties connected as an 8 voices polyphonic Moog !?

Don't wait on Moog Music to create the ultimate polyphonic Moog instrument that everyone is asking for since 10 years now... It won't happen.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:05 pm

Hmm...polyphonic Taurus rig...something to consider... :twisted:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

timmy

Post by timmy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:40 pm

thealien666 wrote: Well, if you can afford 2 sets of T3s, you probably can afford 1 Little Phatty and 7 Slim Phatties connected as an 8 voices polyphonic Moog !?

Don't wait on Moog Music to create the ultimate polyphonic Moog instrument that everyone is asking for since 10 years now... It won't happen.
I have a phatty already, not interested in some massive wall of phattys. I want something more compact. I guess i will wait and see if Tom Oberheim follows through with his work on his new OBX and buy that. I really want to avoid the (30+ year) old gear if at all possible.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:10 pm

timmy wrote:... I really want to avoid the (30+ year) old gear if at all possible.
And why ? Some are still going strong (Prophet 5, OBx, Jupiter 8 ). Oh, you meant Moog's 30+ years old gear, like the flaky Memorymoog or lack luster Polymoog. I agree with you there. Truth is, besides the MM, Moog Music has never quite been successful at producing a reliable poly synth before going bankrupt, and even since. And that MM only had the ladder filters being actually from Moog in there. Everything else was Curtis Electromusic Specialties (CEM) chips (as in the P5 and OBx).

Alesis had something going with the Andromeda, but the R&D costs outweighed profits from sales, even at $4k. And then they were bought by a non-synth minded company just before bankruptcy.

Dave Smith Instrument did produce the Prophet 08. But for many reasons, which I won't go into here, it isn't as successful as it could have been.

It's about time Moog Music finally tried to produce a real 8 voices polyphonic Voyager (or better yet original Minimoog) equivalent with 100% genuine Moog electronics inside. But that will always be the dream....... :(
Last edited by thealien666 on Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:38 pm

That would be really far out but it would cost as much as a Kia.
Voyager EB #165, T3 #292, MF-101, 102, 103, 104SD, 2x104MSD, 105M, 107, 108M, MP-201, VX-351, CP-251, Frostwave Fat Controller.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:57 pm

c7sus wrote:That would be really far out but it would cost as much as a Kia.
Maybe they could have different payment plans (like: nothing to pay until...our bankruptcy) ? Just kidding.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

timmy

Post by timmy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:32 am

i've got a Prophet 08 and i really like it. It's a great synth.

I'm not ruling out purchasing 30+ year gear, I do own some. I'm just finding that if you do find a "good" or better condition unit you still have to have a tech go over it thoroughly - you don't know the instrument's history and you can't take anyone's word these days. These units can change hands so often. Plus, many of the components such as capacitors, CD4xxx IC chips, opamps, etc, are far far beyond their life span and need to be replaced because of failure. You could wind up spending as much or more on refurb than the purchase price. I'd rather just buy something brand new, a unit that i intimately know the history of, utilizing new tech, new parts, with warranty.

joe_moog

Post by joe_moog » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:42 pm

timmy wrote:
thealien666 wrote: Well, if you can afford 2 sets of T3s, you probably can afford 1 Little Phatty and 7 Slim Phatties connected as an 8 voices polyphonic Moog !?

I have a phatty already, not interested in some massive wall of phattys. I want something more compact. I guess i will wait and see if Tom Oberheim follows through with his work on his new OBX and buy that. I really want to avoid the (30+ year) old gear if at all possible.
I agree...I have an LP + 3 SPs, and while it's definitely cool, it's not what I would consider "portable". Plus there are ever-present glitches like notes being dropped occasionally, and LFO synching is something I haven't been able to tackle, either. I'm still hoping for a poly.
Sub 37 • Voyager Select Whitewash/Lunar White • VX-351 • Little Phatty Stage II w/CV out • Slim Phatty (x3)
MF-101 • MF-102 • MF-104SD • MF-103 • CP-251 • MF-108M • MF-105M
Moog Pocket Protector