PayPal...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
moogslob

PayPal...

Post by moogslob » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:00 am

sucks!
Please allow a mini-rant- I've been a member on PayPal since 2002(!)- No problems, no auctions gone awry, no selling debt unpaid- I've recently sold off some of my gear to get an old school- 2100$ + worth of gear, all sold on Ebay- All has been shipped and tracked delivered to their destinations as of almost 2 weeks ago now- Here's the rub: I have a 2100$ positive balance in my PayPal account, but can't access ANY of it!! They have arbitrarily put a 21 + day hold on releasing MY money to ME, simply because I sold 5 items on Ebay within a 2 week span! My Ebay account is from 1999(!) and is 100% positive!! No issues have been reported with ANY sale I've EVER negotiated, including these recent transactions- So the shipping fees, in excess of 200$, have come out of my pocket, with no firm date on when PayPal will let me claim MY MONEY! I'm a Moog-playing musician, and can't wait this indefinite period playing my MS2000 as a substitute, so am having to put the old school across two credit cards, maxing them out!
SO, sellers out there beware the new PayPal!! Next Ebay auction I sell on, it's Amazon Payments, and no PayPal accepted!! :evil:
Voyager Old School, Etherwave Theremin, Wurlitzer 200A, MS2000, Gretsch Anni, dinged up surfboard x 2

http://www.moped10.com

unfiltered37

Re: PayPal...

Post by unfiltered37 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:34 am

This sounds like a bank issue to me. I had the same thing happen to me, but it turned out the bank had a hold on the funds. If you transferred the money from your bank account, you might contact them.

moogslob

Post by moogslob » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:39 am

no bank issue- this money is solely from auctioned items, paid to me by the auction winners, who are all now playing their new instruments...
Voyager Old School, Etherwave Theremin, Wurlitzer 200A, MS2000, Gretsch Anni, dinged up surfboard x 2

dougt

Post by dougt » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:52 am

What's your ebay feedback score? I think if it's below 100 they sometimes do this.

acatcalledanarchy

Post by acatcalledanarchy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:20 am

Don't ever trust PayPal with anything:

http://www.paypalsucks.com/
A Cat Called Anarchy

Voyager Select Series Whitewash Electric Blue, Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur

moogslob

Post by moogslob » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:43 am

I love the link anarchy cat! haha!
and my Ebay feedback score is 100% on over 200 transactions... as of today, I still can't touch my money, and I just got a notice saying they're about to draft money out of my checking account to cover Ebay's seller fees... Needless to say, when this is all done with, I'm pulling out of my account and shutting it down!!

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:40 pm

I closed my account upon reviewing that link.
Thanks,
Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

acatcalledanarchy

Post by acatcalledanarchy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:45 pm

I had my account hacked and money taken out of my account (only £60 but it's the principle that counts). It took my 7 months to get my money back, after repeated phone calls to somewhere in southern USA speaking to people that sound like answering machines... Nightmare!
A Cat Called Anarchy

john011

Post by john011 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:46 am

Don't keep money to Paypal. I think is not safe. All time I use 2 credit cards. one for shopping connect with paypal and other for my money and I transfer only when I need . It is more safe
go go dodo

acatcalledanarchy

Post by acatcalledanarchy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:30 pm

Check this out:

http://www.screw-paypal.com/pdf/toolkit_pro.pdf

Maybe of use...

Peace, love and flowers...
A Cat Called Anarchy

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:52 pm

acatcalledanarchy wrote:Check this out:

http://www.screw-paypal.com/pdf/toolkit_pro.pdf

Maybe of use...

Peace, love and flowers...
Please note that the following may be seen by others as my being a complete, and utter dick. That is not my intention. I am also not associated with PayPal in any way other than using them to purchase things. However, I really feel that another side needs to be presented here. If what I say is demonstrably incorrect, then thanks to all for any, and all corrections.

I took a look at that e-book, especially the reasons why your account could be restricted. I also browsed through the user agreement and associated comments, at the URL listed in the book. It seems to me that PayPal is guilty of nothing more than enforcing a zero-tolerance, scorched earth policy towards any possibility of fraudulent, or criminal behavior it encounters.

Yes, it is draconian, yes it is restricting, and yes, it is a major PIA for those using PayPal to sell merchandise. However, it is these types of practices that I think the people at PayPal believe are necessary in order to prevent buyers from being defrauded by unscrupulous sellers! It is by no means perfect, as was shown by people who sell good items, and receive broken and abused items in return. However, for buyers who send their money off into the void that is the internet, practices like these provide a measure of comfort that even the law doesn't provide! Because PayPal is used world wide, it can be nearly impossible for a buyer to be made whole if defrauded by someone outside of their own country!

As a buyer, I have used PayPal for years without any issues. They have saved me more than once from losing hundreds of dollars due to shady sellers over the years! I once bought an MF-104z that was sold as being in excellent condition. It turned out to be worthless junk! I filed a claim with PayPal, and they not only got all of my money back, but they found that the seller was actively attempting to defraud me, and were able to boot that seller as well!

Yup! PayPal does suck for sellers! However, (and I hate to put it this way, but...) the agreement spells it all out before the seller signs on the dotted line! If a seller cannot, or will not, accept the terms of the agreement, they can decide to use another service. PayPal is in no way obligated to make it easy and convenient for the seller. In fact, PayPal seems to be more about protecting the buyer, even if doing so is at the expense of an otherwise scrupulous seller! While buyers can, and do, find ways to defraud some sellers, there are many more sellers who have, and will, defraud buyers if they know they can get away with it! Especially if it involves transactions that cross borders. Even if a seller believes themselves to be the exception, PayPal doesn't know that seller from Adam. They have to treat them the same as any other seller. PayPal's policies, regardless of whether or not a seller thinks they're fair, are the price a seller pays for doing business with them. It is very unfortunate, but until laws can be passed (and enforced!) that can protect all parties, across all borders, it is what it is.

moogslob

Post by moogslob » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:44 pm

However, (and I hate to put it this way, but...) the agreement spells it all out before the seller signs on the dotted line!
When I created my account, the policy of holding funds from sellers selling multiple items didn't exist- When they adopted this policy, all members should have automatically received a notice spelling this out- Had I been made aware of this, I would not have used Paypal to sell these 5 items- Someone made the decision to keep this quiet to insure they wouldn't miss out on any possible seller's fees- That's sneaky bad business, plain and simple

moogslob

Post by moogslob » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:32 pm

JonieFound

Post by JonieFound » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:55 am

hi to all...

I have been receiving payment through paypal after Feb 10th. There was no reversal…

I think paypal is the only method to accept payment for me.. I have small size clients and I do very small works… some times my works are few hours and my charge may be low as $40 ,$50 etc…

did anyone know whether paypal stopped reversal of personal payment ? I think only withdraw to Indian bank is blocked in paypal.

Paypal is a heaven for small freelancers like me. in Xoom for accepting $25 my client need to pay $9, which is not acceptable. in paypal its nearly $2.

Let me know if there is an alternative for small freelancers like me

Thanks & regards
Jonie Found