MP-201 as USB MIDI device for I-Pad

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
makers

MP-201 as USB MIDI device for I-Pad

Post by makers » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:27 pm

Initial test of MP-201 hooked up to I-Pad with Apple USB "Camera Connection Kit" was a success.

I-Pad App "Midi Touch" seems to recognize the MP-201 and transmit MIDI CC well. More tests to come. I'm really excited about some of the possibilities but I will say Apple "Camera Connection Kit" seems much too loose of a connection for reliable gigging.

~makers

Novacz

Re: MP-201 as USB MIDI device for I-Pad

Post by Novacz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:07 am

Yes, it works!!!

I tried it with my Voyager and iMS-20! And it was so good! Everything.
But of course, the Voyager's and iMS-20's midi CC-s are different, but generally it is right!

I'm very happy with them! :)
Ha Moog, legyen kövér... :)

MINIMOOG Voyager Electric Blue, Moog MP-201, Nord Electro 3, Nord Modular, CRUMAR MULTIMAN S

http://www.mocun.hu

makers

Post by makers » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Version 1.3 of StepPolyArp for iPad now supports Core MIDI devices and external beat clock sync.
This appears to be the first MIDI app that I've found to support external sync.
Works great with MP-201 as clock source from a channel setup for tap tempo.
USB connection between iPad and MP-201 then MIDI in/out from the MP-201 DIN to/from synth seems like a good way to get a great arpegiator working for the Voyager.

http://laurentcolson.com/steppolyarp.html

~makers

lsd

Post by lsd » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:32 pm

Hey novakz,

when you say you got the voyager working with ims20, do you mean midi from voyager to ims20 or ims20 to voyager?

have been hoping to use ims20 as step sequencer for voyager but thought there was no midi out from ims20....

will give stereo polyarp a try, looks really good...

Does anyone know of an ipad step sequencer with a note tie function?

thanks,

Liam.
Minimoog Model D, Voyager, Arp Odessey, Arp Solina string ensemble, Roland V synth, Jomox X base09, Novation supernova.

lsd

Post by lsd » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:54 pm

Hi Makers,

I've been trying this today, ipad2 -> MP201 (usb), MP201 -> Voyager (midi din)...

Not working for me...I'm on an old beta version 2.0 (332?)...it appears from the manual that the MP201 wont send midi notes but in the addendum to V.2 it says you can send out midi notes in gate mode, though these are set in the MP201 rather than passed through from the usb input.....I'm gettind midi in to the MP201 from the ipad running Stereopolyarp but alas, no midi out...

Can anyone tell me if this is possible??? Stereopolyarp is an amazing app and would indeeed be great with the voyager....

Thanks,

Liam.
Minimoog Model D, Voyager, Arp Odessey, Arp Solina string ensemble, Roland V synth, Jomox X base09, Novation supernova.

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:30 pm

liam, turn on the MIDI merge functions in MIDI setup... you just need the MP201 to pass MIDI from in to out when using it as an interface like this.

You could do midi to CV sequencing using programs like genome or stepPolyArp sending MIDI to the MP201 directly... but for controlling another external piece of gear just merge USB IN to DIN OUT and you should be golden.

lsd

Post by lsd » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Hi Amos,

Thanks for replying. I tried the merge settings already and am not getting midi out.

Cheers, Liam.