3 way switch emulation

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
Moody33

3 way switch emulation

Post by Moody33 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:33 am

Hi !

I would like to emulate a 3 way switch selector. Is there a way to do this using 3 CV output from the Mp-201 ?
Here is the basic scheme of the switch I'd like to emulated. http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/5650/jamman3fs.jpg

Any ideas and advices are welcomed. Thanks you in advance.

Moody.

yesman

Re: 3 way switch emulation

Post by yesman » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:34 am

Well, the short answer would be no I don't think so - at least not without additional circuitry. In looking at the switch diagram, it appears that the (Down) selection happens by shorting the jack ring to the sleeve (I'm assuming there is a V supplied by the source on the tip & ring. It might be a digital signal or a DC V. It could also be that a signal is on the sleeve and driving an port high upon the switch depression). (Mode) is selected by shorting the tip to sleeve and (Up) is selected by shorting both the tip and ring to sleeve. Again the sleeve may not be ground. That said you will need to verify what signals the pedal (is it a Jamman?) is providing at the tip, ring and sleeve of the switch jack. The MP Gate signals are (0-5V) output sources, and so potentialy are the switch connections, this is a problem. You could make some electronic switch circuits that would make the switch connections and that the MP could turn on & off. But, unless you are versed in this kind of thing it will be better to use the intended switch box. Any additions and or corrections would be welcome.

Moody33

Post by Moody33 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:05 pm

Thnaks Yesman.

Yes, it's a jamman stereo. I tried to send a cv gate from the mp-201 to the jamman by connecting the tip and ring to themselves ( for the jamman input jack of course ). So I 've got the UP (tap tempo for the jamman stereo) switch and it works fine.

yesman

Post by yesman » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:30 pm

OK, I've looked up some info on the Jamman. The switches are normally open, momentary, close to ground. To preserve the independant switch functions you would need a pair of diodes - one from the tip to diode anode and the the second from the ring to diode anode and then the two diode cathodes tied together this is the connection for the (UP) function. Are you sending a reversed 5v to zero on the switch depression from the MP? The thing is the Jamman is looking for the tip,ring, or both to close to ground. So, I'm guessing that the Jamman has a +V on the tip & ring, to connect this to a MP channel which will output 0V or 5V seems a bit of a mismatch. I still think the Jamman FS is the way to go. It's certainly cheaper than tying up the MP and electrically correct. I would not be sure of reliable operation. Any other opinions would be welcome.

MaryG

Post by MaryG » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:29 pm

I was going to ask the same question and then noticed this topic) You all were very helpful for me, thanks a lot! It's exactly that what I was looking for.