Moog Little Phatty Stage 2 USB midi feedback

Everything Phatty.
plainlazy

Moog Little Phatty Stage 2 USB midi feedback

Post by plainlazy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:09 pm

Hi guys,

i have a friends LP stage 2 and there's an annoying issue with midi commends being sent/received via the USB port. When i arm an external midi track in Logic, the channel receives the midi data from the LP and sends it back to the LP again causing it to stick notes and freeze the filter cut-offs' movements. Also for some reason the LP controls the parameters of the channel in Logic; so for example, if i move the oscillator knob it mutes the channel in Logic, or if i move the volume knob of the LP it controls the volume slider of the channel. How i can stop the LP from doing this but still be able to record the midi CC data of the knobs on the LP?

When i try use the LP in Ableton the same issues occurs but with a weird midi lag that causes the LP to stutter like a computer running out of cpu. when this occurs the LED's of whatever knob i move ghost, as in for them move in a line?

could anyone help me out here?

Thanks,

Andrew :)

Rosser

Re: Moog Little Phatty Stage 2 USB midi feedback

Post by Rosser » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:37 pm

It sounds like a MIDI feedback loop to me. Try setting your in/out channels to different values.

Also, Logic does have some odd MIDI routing that causes the LP to behave very oddly when they are interacting. You can make MIDI filters in the environment that might aid in sorting some of that out. However, most of that was taken care of by adding a feature in LPOS3.1 where you can turn CC's off and just send notes. If you have not upgraded to 3.1 than I recommend that you try that.

plainlazy

Post by plainlazy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:48 pm

thanks Rosser,

Turns out that when it comes to midi, Logic has more bugs than a crack whore with the sniffles! the trick is NOT to arm the external midi track when recording. Logic will record the midi information even if the track isn't armed, but won't pump the midi information back out into the synth. proof that the midi in Logic is shocking, i was able to control the LP in Logic even when the midi port connected to the LP wasn't assigned to the external midi channel!

Ableton works fine if you set the monitor to 'off' when recording/playing midi to and from the moog.

Andrew :)

Kilo

Post by Kilo » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:47 am

Hi

Yes, it's a Midi feedback. I also had the issue.

Simply turn of Local Control insinde the Little Phattys Master Midi Settings. Remind: If local control is off you need to have the Midichannels monitor ON or the tracks record button active (ableton), to be able playing and tweaking it.