Moog's Next Polysynth?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
MoogMusicFan81

Moog's Next Polysynth?

Post by MoogMusicFan81 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:39 pm

When will Moog ever come out with the successor to the Memorymoog? The Polymoog was especially the worst of the two polysynths Moog did make before it went under in 1983. Before its collapse, Moog had planned to release the SL8 as its foil to the Yamaha DX7.

~Ben

thealien666

Re: Moog's Next Polysynth?

Post by thealien666 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:44 am

Judging by the current tendencies at Moog Music (just look at the price tag on that Series 500 Ladder Filter), if there is ever such a modern successor to the Memorymoog with perhaps an improved decent 8 voice polyphony made of Voyager quality, the cost would be prohibitive.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

MoogMusicFan81

Post by MoogMusicFan81 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:00 am

thealien666 wrote:Judging by the current tendencies at Moog Music (just look at the price tag on that Series 500 Ladder Filter), if there is ever such a modern successor to the Memorymoog with perhaps an improved decent 8 voice polyphony made of Voyager quality, the cost would be prohibitive.
Maybe when market conditions are better, with an unemployment rate of 5% or lower. Just maybe...

~Ben

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:15 am

Great idea, not sure why it hasn't been discussed on this forum.

MC

Post by MC » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:45 am

unfiltered37 wrote:Great idea, not sure why it hasn't been discussed on this forum.
*spits morning coffee all over monitor*
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:57 am

unfiltered37 wrote:Great idea, not sure why it hasn't been discussed on this forum.
Try doing a search on "polysynth" to see why everyone just spit their coffee all over their monitors...

:shock:

LaxSlash1993

Post by LaxSlash1993 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:53 am

I lol'ed at this.

(Side note, never even heard of the S8 before this thread. I gotta do some research on that one.)

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:32 pm

Another idea no one's brought up: I think Moog should make a new modular system. And why hasn't anyone compared the Voyager to the Model D?

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:50 pm

polysynths are a huge pain in the ass,and i guarantee you that moog will never make that mistake again.if you want poly that much,you will have to buy a different brand.

MoogMusicFan81

Post by MoogMusicFan81 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:13 pm

dan thacker wrote:polysynths are a huge pain in the ass,and i guarantee you that moog will never make that mistake again.if you want poly that much,you will have to buy a different brand.
Or I could just buy their last one, the Memorymoog Plus with the LAMM upgrades.

~Ben

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:36 pm

dan thacker wrote:polysynths are a huge pain in the ass,and i guarantee you that moog will never make that mistake again.if you want poly that much,you will have to buy a different brand.
Utter nonsense. Moog didn't make a mistake by wanting to produce a polysynth back in the days. They were only too ambitious with the limited electronics technology of the day. Sequential Circuit had the same difficulties with their Prophet 5 (originally a 10 voices synth that they had to remove half the circuits because of overheating).

But with today's advanced circuitry, creating an 8 voice analog polysynth wouldn't be difficult at all. It's not here yet only because of economics, not because of limited technology this time IMHO.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:53 am

unfiltered37 wrote:And why hasn't anyone compared the Voyager to the Model D?
You're kidding, right? This topic has been bandied about for years on this very forum (and it continues to be a hot topic). A quick search on YouTube also reveals a numbers of example videos (try searching 'Voyager Model D").

And then there's 'Vintage, Voyager or Virtual', a shoot-out between a Model D, a Voyager and Creamware MiniMax that was done three years ago and posted on KnobTweak, along with MP3 audio examples:

KnobTweak > Files > Voyager > Vintage, Voyager or Virtual > Comparison Test.pdf

You were kidding, right?

- Greg

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:10 pm

I was just thinking about this yesterday. Rather than waiting for Moog to build a polysynth, you can just build one yourself with modules from other manufacturers.

Tallying it up in modules alone, the total was $6120 for 10 Oscs, 10 Filters, 20 EnvGens, and 10 VCA's, not counting cabinetry and power modules or shipping.

It would comprise about 70 spaces in two 44 space cabinets (synthesizers.com).

In our old polysynth thread I posted a poll about what kind of synth that we would want. Some people (in my opinion) had ridiculous expectations for an all analogue polysynth. They wanted it to sound fantastic, in a small package at an inexpensive price. I want the huge behemoth of a synth, which is a bit more realistic (in my opinion) for the nature of the technology we are talking about.

If I lost you at "$6120", well thats not an unreasonable price if you think that 10 Slim Phattys is roughly 8 grand or the 2 SO4V from Tom Oberheim is $6990. The dotcom route is extremely more flexible.

We all want a polysynth, but its going to cost us to get one.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

torinkrell

Post by torinkrell » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:25 pm

Referring back to the first post the SL8 was cancelled mainly because of the introduction of the comparatively inexpensive Yamaha DX-7.
Moog saw that their SL8 could never be manufactured inexpensively enough to compete with the DX-7 and its new sound palate so the project was cancelled
after only one kluged two box SL8 prototype was produced.
Akai AX-80
Korg Polysix
Roland Juno 60
Moog The Source
Yamaha e1010 BBD
Moog Parametric EQ
Sequential Prophet Pro~One
Altec AS-1600 audio oscillator (1947)
Moog Music Minimoog Model D (1973)

museslave

Post by museslave » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:16 pm

I do tire of the Polymoog bashing. It's not like the Memorymoog was problem free when it was released, either... it was a massively hurried job.

The SL-8 had DCOs. You want a DCO polysynth? Your problems are solved.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic