Mp-201 envelopes

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
unfiltered37

Mp-201 envelopes

Post by unfiltered37 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:33 pm

WIll the mp-201 send midi envelopes, or just cv envelopes? I have a setup where I need send a midi envelope to a midi-to-vca module. Can I connect a midi keyboard to the mp-201 and have the mp send an envelope to the module when I hit a key? If so, is it possible to multi-trigger, or is it just single trigger? Sorry, I am kind of MIDIlliterate.

edit: I forgot to mention there is no CV input on the VCA module, only Midi, and there are 8 VCA's all connected to one midi port.

Also, is there a way to assign each key on a keyboard to a specific midi channel? I know how to do this in Logic, but I want to do it without a computer. Perhaps a certain keyboard or module will do this?

yfalmagne

Re: Mp-201 envelopes

Post by yfalmagne » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:20 am

After owning my mp-201 for a week, I can tell you its my understanding that channels configured for envelopes will output midi as a standard gate (on=127, off=0). You CAN trigger envelopes via incoming midi notes in firmware v2, with options for legato or or retrigger modes.

I think you could get little box that would convert the CV envelope from mp-201 into CC data on a midi out.....isn't this essentially what the EXP jack on a digital keyboard does? Maybe Kenton, or MidiSolutions makes it?

I agree that this would be a useful feature, and I am still clinging to hope that they will be a v3 firmware release despite its being discontinued.

Keyboards with "master controller" type features allow for splitting into different zones, with freely assignable midi channels. Like the old Roland "A" series, or Nord Stage, or Kurzweil has boards that will do this. These are high-price point pieces and may be overkill for your application. Pretty my silly little Akai MPD18 will do it for under $100, but its pads, not keys.

Hope that helped...

Vitja

Re: Mp-201 envelopes

Post by Vitja » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:46 am

I discovered that if I use linear envelopes to modulate MF-104z, I can get pitchifted loop pedal if I turn mix all way up and feedback to zero. It is fun! Try it your self.
Gear:Slim Phatty, Arturia Minibrute, Casio MT-600, MF-101,MF-102,MF104Z,MP-201,CP-251,Ibanez John Scofield, PRS custom 24, circuit bent Kawai R-100,Circuit Bent Roland TR-505, Boss Dr55, Akai MPK 25, Ensoniq DP/4, RME Fireface 800, tons of guitar effects.