Animoog : WISHLIST

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
audiodacious

Animoog : WISHLIST

Post by audiodacious » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:46 am

Animoog is great soft synth no doubting that, and who can complain at the introductory price ? It's not as unique as Moog would have us believe in the blurb though, but the wavetables are generally great and the keyboard is probably the best and most playable and expressive touch keyboard I've used to date.

I'm a professional keyboard player and I've owned Moog gear for many years ( I still use a mini-moog live ) but generally my live gear nowadays consists of a MIDI controller keyboard and a laptop running MainStage. I mainly use the iPad as a MIDI controller but sometimes I run Sunrizer and now I can feel Animoog will likely join my live setup.

I think it's wrong to use the review section of the AppStore as a bug reporter and it would be nice to think Moog developers actually browse this forum to see what customers are thinking so here's a little wish list:-

- Please give us the ability to backup and upload patch files via iTunes/WIFI ( can't think why this is not built in already ).

- Patch Banks: I like to organise sounds per project,track and category, I often use patch banks in synths to implement this. Please give us Patch Banks instead of just one long list of patches

- Perhaps there are slightly too many glitchy/hard wavetables, some more smoother ambient tables would be really nice

- As of v.1.0 There seems to be a frequent crash bug when switching between X/Y PAD <-> KB Scale <-> ENV MOD <-> TIMBRES <-> SETUP : Please fix soon!

- How about a little sequencer on top of the audio recorder ?

audiodacious

Re: Animoog : WISHLIST

Post by audiodacious » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:06 am

scrap my first wish in that list! didn't realize you need to export/import them via the setup page, seems a tad awkward but at least it can be done.

Newstech

Post by Newstech » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:22 pm

I emailed several wishlist items.

1. In the display of the four Mod slots, could you indicate somehow which ones are active vs. unset? That would make it much easier to add a control.

2. It would be great if one could view a "settings summary" screen for the current instrument, showing current knob settings, envelope values, scale, etc. It would make it so much easier to get the "high-level" view, rather than clicking from screen to screen. Don't know if you could fit everything -- maybe would have to leave the timbres on their own screen. But maybe not.

3. I haven't yet figured out which settings get overridden when I change a preset and which remain unchanged. I've noticed, for example, that if I've set a strange scale it doesn't change when I change instruments.

4. Seems like you're missing the basic minor scales (natural, harmonic, melodic). Unless they have other names I'm not recognizing -- I'm not great with music theory.

5. It would be way cool if you supported DS Midi Wifi, though I'm sure that would not be trivial. See ThumbJam or S1MidiTrigger as example apps using Midi over Wifi.

6. It would be nice if there was an option, on app startup, to restore the previous settings rather than always going to Default.

ragno7

Post by ragno7 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:01 pm

Awesome synth... But I really think that it should have:

- background audio toggle
- background midi note and cc message reception
- record on first note received
- midi cc mapping capabilities

This are essential to be able to use the app with other apps on an idevice... If not, then one becomes very limited to integrate all within the ios environment.

Hope you guys take this ones into account for a future update.

Regards

cyclops

Post by cyclops » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:05 pm

In love but need a few things

Set the volume of the wavetables

Send midi out

Record audio with midi file for daw editing

Record and save more that one audio file

Hide filter and record section for more screen space for xy screen

Hide volume and glide knobs for more key space just like with mod section

cyclops

Post by cyclops » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:58 am

Midi out so i can record from this nice keyboad to my daw Or to one the midi seq apps like genome that way you don't need to built your own seqencer

Ability to record multiple audio takes and save with midi file , when I'm away from my Mac I can't sketch with this as I can only record once so by the time Im home I have forgotten the extra sequences I worked on so Please I want to record as many takes, seqences as I want and I really want the midi file with it

Mute switch for for the mod slots please, it's a pain to scroll all the way to silence then if you don't like it try remember what waveform you had before a bit of a vibe killer anyway so please mute as well as volume sometimes you just want a little bit of volume from a particular waveform.

Option to hide the volume/ cor/ glide buttons of the side of the keys just like the mod wheel section so we have more key space

A few graphic things that bug me and I realize I might be on my own here but anyway, the xy pad could be so much bigger if it did not have the over design screen edges of the tv like corners, and the preset menu moved to the top with the bpm screen and loose the moog logo and make a bigger xy pad ?

The section that says animoog as well could be used for something, when we have such limited screen space is a logo still necessary ? I mean we see moog when we start the app up so rather design for Bette use of the screen estate I like the idea of hiding modules that you don't need like the mod wheels so why not the volume /cor/glide butttons as Well ?

Newstech

Post by Newstech » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Newstech wrote:, though I'm sure that would not be trivial. See ThumbJam or S1MidiTrigger as example apps using Midi over Wifi.
Whoops, forget this. I finally learned about Core MIDI over the network and have used it with AM.

cyclops

Post by cyclops » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:25 am

One more thing I think would be cool is maybe a JUMP setting on the paths so the sound jumps from point to point so you can say sync the rate to 1/4 and hit a note set the path points from 1 to say 4 to 3 and then to 7

This way there is no morphing really happening but rather instant changes as it jumps to each new position

Anyway just a idea don't know if it would work well in practice :D

Post by moderator » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:14 pm

Great suggestions, everyone! Keep the good ideas coming.

First Animoog update (v1.0.1) is available now (as a free update)

New functionality:
• Background audio support
• Record module now has a 4 beat count-in with optional beep (configured on Setup page)
• Also on Setup page, a new Random Preset button (warning: dangerously addictive)
• Timbres page: 'Preview' button, select timbres silently or select & preview them audibly
• Multi-mode knobs are now easier to adjust
• Network MIDI session now enabled by default.

Bugs fixed:
• Memory leak on switching page views was causing crashes
• MIDI Clock Sync much smoother
• MIDI note to KB display mapping is now correct
• Handles MIDI NoteOn w/ velocity 0 as a NoteOff.
Moderator, Moog Music Forum

josquin

Post by josquin » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:56 am

Midi OUT!!!!

tbarbe

Post by tbarbe » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:32 pm

yes MIDI OUT!

Its an incredible controller... if we can get it to send all the midi data out to capture then it becomes an incredible controller surface and lets us capture edit great performances on the synth into a more pro recording environment!

:)

tbarbe

Post by tbarbe » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:53 am

Another wish:

Control KB Scale from another knob or control source?

Id like to send changes to Root Note or change Scale on the fly?

7of9

Post by 7of9 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:36 pm

just one wish.. midi out from animoog. thank you. love the animoog

si-rus

Post by si-rus » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:01 pm

SynthStation25 support for iPhone version please

...Unless of course Moog Music plans on releasing a sub-$150 audio/midi interface for iPhone & iPod Touch of course :P

si-rus

Post by si-rus » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:06 pm

If SS25 support is added can we have the app detect when SS25 is connected and adjust screen orientation accordingly

The SS25 is lightweight enough but it's still a minor annoyance to have to keep tipping it to flip the screen the right way up.