There Can Be Only One

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Hedorah

There Can Be Only One

Post by Hedorah » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:38 pm

Hey everybody, i'm new here, and am a proud new owner of the Little Phatty stage 1. I was wondering what people here think is the quintessential Moogerfooger? I would like to get one to complement my LP, but am unsure of which one to get. Any suggestions?

Thanks again

GregAE

Re: There Can Be Only One

Post by GregAE » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:17 am

Not sure if it qualifies as the 'quintessential' MF, but if you're looking to maximize the LP's sonic potential, I'd suggest going with the MF-102 Ring Modulator. It offers an incredibly wide range of sound shaping possibilities.

To better understand what it can do for you, take a look at the 'Lord of the Ring (Modulator)' article on KnobTweak:

Files > Moogerfoogers > MF-102 Ring Modulator > Lord of the Ring (Modulator)

Hope this helps -

Greg

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:33 pm

I vote for ring mod as well. But trust me, there can never be just one. Moogerfoogers are more addicting than nicotine lol
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:37 pm

104z is my desert island fooger.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Hedorah

Post by Hedorah » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:44 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. I think the ring mod will be my first Mooger, although if I could afford it, the delay would be my first option!

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:31 am

Hedorah wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. I think the ring mod will be my first Mooger, although if I could afford it, the delay would be my first option!
I don't have a Ring Mod but have heard great things about it. It might be next for me but I'm currently paying back the $$ I spent on my UAD II...

... but the point of this reply is to suggest that you can get your hands on good quality bucket brigade analog delay pedals for relatively little cash; two options which are around $170 are the Malekko 616 (regular http://proguitarshop.com/malekko-ekko-6 ... delay.html) or LoFi version of same (http://proguitarshop.com/malekko-ekko-6 ... delay.html ); or the EHX Deluxe Analog Boy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyMMQSju-CY

I went the other way (after 104z not available) and got a Diamond ML II primarily because I wanted tap tempo and modulation but it's big and pricy. To me, Delay is an end of the chain affair; may be best to put your hard earned $$ earlier however depending on what you are after, your situation may be different.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:24 pm

Man the simplest of programs just sound so much better through a delay.

And if you have a 103 or 105, if you put the delay before that, each delay will be panned (105) or the delays will phase in stereo.

EM, I emailed you with a reply about uprigth bass shopping.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:31 pm

Get a ring mod and save up to buy a space echo. A space echo in good shape with new tape is a magical box. I run the model D through it and the hair on the back of my neck stands up. The main appeal of tape is the subtle second and third harmonic distortions which seem to surround a track that has complex waveforms with a wonderful warmth. So you take the simple pure waves that come out of an analog synth and distort them not so subtly onto tape with added feedback and echoes and you a get a rich, surreal, beautiful sound. Beauty is subjective, but the sound of a space echo is not. Modern analog synths like the phatty have a modern sound to them, the space echo tends to unstick them in time to a more retro nowness.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:17 pm

I'll get beat up for saying this but the Universal Audio plug in which is a direct model of the RE-201 is amazing. Sure I'd like the real thing but ... must be an incredible piece of equipment to own.

One nice thing about the plug in is the ability to synch with your track.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:00 am

unfiltered37 wrote:the space echo tends to unstick them in time to a more retro nowness.
:lol:
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

muksys

Post by muksys » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:36 pm

If its some Tape Delay you seek, I have me a Strymon El Capistan http://www.strymon.net/products/elcapistan/ and it is one of the most amazing, unique delay pedals I have ever used. Sounds great on anything you throw at it. Ive used a Space Echo many times, and while the El Capistan doesnt capture every single nuance and unpredictable nature of an RE-201 (the wonderful dive bombs of tape sticking and unsticking), its pretty damned close, and it's much easier to transport. Save the RE-201 when you've accumulated all that you need and are now left with the bucket list of gear.

Indeed

Post by Indeed » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:49 pm

Ringmod was my first, & I spent 2 years with it until I picked up the phaser. Then a couple more years later I got the 105M, 104z, cp-251, and 101.

I'd have to agree with some of these other posters that the Ringmod is the one. If there must be only one.

After the Ringmod, I'd have to go with the MIDI Murf, its just retarded how genius it is....but its a complex pedal.

If ur looking for a ridiculous analog delay & space is not an issue, I would definitely recommend a tape delay like an Echoplex or Space Echo.

The 104z is awesome, but my Echoplex sh!ts all over it & every other delay I've used except for other tape delays.....
MPC3000, MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105M, 108m, 107, CP-251, MINI MODEL D, OB-8, ALESIS A6, ARP ODYSSEY MK1, RHODES MK1