2 MF-101 Low Pass Filters for MF "modular" = illogical or?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
winchavez

2 MF-101 Low Pass Filters for MF "modular" = illogical or?

Post by winchavez » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:09 am

Hi. I'm thinking of building up a Moogerfooger "modular", consisting of the following modules:

1 x MF-101 LPF
1 x MF-102 RM
1 x MF-104Z AD
2 x MF-107 Freqbox
1 x CP-251 CP

and I wanted to add one more MF to make it 7 "modules" total, and I was wondering if a 2nd MF-101 Low Pass Filter would be considered or thought of as "illogical" or "unnecessary"? the reason why I ask is because I have heard in the past that some people would refer to having 2 Low Pass Filters as "redundant" or something of that nature. But I was thinking by having two MF-101 LPF's in a MF "modular" one MF-101 could be used in a 4-Pole setting, and the other MF-101 could be used in 2-Pole setting. Would this idea be a "valuable" idea/concept? Or instead of adding a second MF-101 Low Pass Filter would you recommend adding a second MF-102 Ring Modulator or perhaps an MF-108M Cluster Flux instead?

All of your ideas/opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

gear owned: moog lp stage II cv in/out, moog moogerfooger cp-251 control processor, dsi mono evolver pe, dsi prophet 08 pe, tom oberheim sem patch panel
Last edited by winchavez on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhuxtable

Re: 2 MF-101 Low Pass Filters for MF "modular" = unvaluable

Post by mhuxtable » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:43 am

With all the MoogerFoogers available, why not get something else? The Phaser or Cluster Flux would be a better choice I think than another LPF

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:10 am

You will see that the more complicated your desires, the more modules you will need. This means that having two or more of a single module is not illogical.

This has come up many times on the forum about the redundancy of having more than one LPF and the answer is that it is not.

If you want to know why, then you can run them in stereo similar to the Voyager's filters. You can use an LPF as an osc, you can do a slow sweep on a faster modulated filter. You can have a filter for your 107's and a second filter for your white noise.

It is not redundant to have more than one filter...it all comes down to what OTHER instruments you might be using your system for.

My system is for synthesis AND as the main audio processing system for other instruments in my studio.

I would ask though why you wouldn't consider a phaser in there or the Murf or the CF?

Look at novamusik. For Moog stuff they are hands down the best prices in the world.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

winchavez

Post by winchavez » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:09 pm

@erick, thank you.

by the way, the reason I am not very interested in the 12-stage phaser is because although of course it is a cool moogerfooger, I personally am not a huge fan of that effect, it is a very "dramatic" effect that effects the sound very drastically to where most of the time it is very "obvious" what effect is being used!, if you know what I mean. But of course it is still a very cool moogerfooger!

and I definitely would be interested in a cluster flux but the reason why i was considering a second MF-101 for my initial first 7 "modules" is because I've used a modular system (eurorack) before with 3 different types of filters, so I know how valuable it is having more than just 1 filter in your modular setup.

thanks for your replies!

noSpoonMusic

Re: 2 MF-101 Low Pass Filters for MF "modular" = illogical o

Post by noSpoonMusic » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:00 pm

Frostwave's resonator pedal is a filter pedal that has cv controls for HP & LP freq and resonance. Having a few different kind of filters can help add a more complex texture to your sound. Some of my patches come out of the voyager post filter, through a fuzz or freqbox, then through a 101, then through something like a bit crusher (anything to bring the highs back) then through the resonator. 3 filters in total. Overkill or awesome? a little of both!

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:55 pm

Not that having a 2nd LPF would be a bad idea. But the Murf is quite a wonderful fooger. Check it out.

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:15 pm

I don't understand why people make modulars out of Foogers. Yes, you can do it to a very limitied extent (stable oscs, flexible lfos and vcas are all missing). But there's casing, PSU and side panels which are unneccessarily duplicated. The jacks are in the most unfriendly position and the stomp buttons have very little purpose. There's extra cirtuitry in and out which only makes sense as a guitar pedal. Weird. Start a rack of real modules in the format you prefer :D
I've stopped talking now.

winchavez

Post by winchavez » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:29 am

@sirnose, thanks. but the murf is another one of "those" moogerfoogers that have too much of a "signature" sound in my opinion, in the way that using it you can always tell what it is when it is on, just like the phaser. for example i have a friend that has recorded a lot of ambient recordings using the murf and u can always "hear" it when its on! hope that makes sense. to each his/her own though!

@livepsy, well, unfortunately moogerfoogers are the closest thing that Moog allows us Moog-lovers to a Moog modular, possible. i would rather do that then buy that ridiculously large voyager xl with the "patch panel"! that's just my opinion though. AND I would rather buy a buchla system than spend 25 GRAND+ ($25,000+) on a vintage Moog modular. So... those are some reasons. But, those are some good points you brought up though. I agree that trying to make a modular set up out of the moogerfoogers is a pain in the ass cause of how the modules are built and where the input and output jacks are located, and, those custom cases that some people build for them usually look kind of awkward. But again, if you really want it you will make it work, and also, what I mentioned in the beginning!

thanks for everyone's replies! keep them coming!

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:06 am

winchavez, perhaps I can be a bit more on topic this time: Yes 2 low pass filters is illogical in my view, two filters is great if one of them is multimode. I would think a MF-101 is a no brainer for any non-Moog analog setup. In the same way a multi-mode filter is very desirable for a Voyager. I use a Sherman filter bank but honestly really only for a touch of tube distortion and high pass filtering to lighten and tighen.

Nope, I still couldn't be on topic :D
I've stopped talking now.

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:52 pm

Live Psy,
Try this:

Take a fast S&H to a pitch/filter with little resonance and run that into a second lfp audio. Do a slower, high resonance cutoff sweep of that.

Not worth it for JUST that effect but we can agree to disagree about the redundancy of two filters if you like. It's all subjective in the end.

tubeampguy

Post by tubeampguy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:57 pm

winchavez wrote:Hi. I'm thinking of building up a Moogerfooger "modular", consisting of the following modules:

1 x MF-101 LPF
1 x MF-102 RM
1 x MF-104Z AD
2 x MF-107 Freqbox
1 x CP-251 CP

and I wanted to add one more MF to make it 7 "modules" total, and I was wondering if a 2nd MF-101 Low Pass Filter would be considered or thought of as "illogical" or "unnecessary"? the reason why I ask is because I have heard in the past that some people would refer to having 2 Low Pass Filters as "redundant" or something of that nature. But I was thinking by having two MF-101 LPF's in a MF "modular" one MF-101 could be used in a 4-Pole setting, and the other MF-101 could be used in 2-Pole setting. Would this idea be a "valuable" idea/concept? Or instead of adding a second MF-101 Low Pass Filter would you recommend adding a second MF-102 Ring Modulator or perhaps an MF-108M Cluster Flux instead?

All of your ideas/opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

gear owned: moog lp stage II cv in/out, moog moogerfooger cp-251 control processor, dsi mono evolver pe, dsi prophet 08 pe, tom oberheim sem patch panel
Any MF you add to your set up offers patching options. I use 2 MF-101's one I use for a LPF the other I use to approximate a VCA/gate. I also have 3 CP-251's Adding one of those adds a lot of patching options.

winchavez

Post by winchavez » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:07 pm

@erick, thanks again. I agree with you. everything you have mentioned since the first reply you posted all makes sense and you broke down some really specific and interesting ways of how one would be able to use 2 MF-101's in their setup, those ideas sound great, and you're right, its all subjective in the end!

@tubeampguy, thanks a lot for that insight! sounds good!

MBlom

Post by MBlom » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:16 pm

@LivePsy To me, as I´m aiming for a Moogertron as well, a Moog modular is justified since I play bass and guitar and I love the ease of just plugging any one of ´em into a fooger, not to mention how good it sounds :shock: . A Moogertron will simultaneously be a modular synth AND a bitchin´ bass/guitar-pimping machine. Can´t wait to bring my 101 and 107 another friend to play with. A kidney anyone?
Latest gigs
https://youtu.be/Fpvi7Jrq8DQ
http://youtu.be/owdKlBrUUKY

Minimoog Voyager EB & Minitaur + MF-101 + MF-103 + MF-104M + MF-107 + CP-251 + Minifooger Drive. MachineDrum UW + MonoMachine + Rickenbackerbass (-75) + Hagströmguitar (-75).

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:20 pm

THAT's the mf106m:
Bitchin Pimpin Machine

How else did they manage to get to a Cluster Flux?