Thread for MF-108 pics/recordings

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
EMwhite

Thread for MF-108 pics/recordings

Post by EMwhite » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:27 pm

DSC_0338.jpeg
New packaging (I like it) and the book, aside from being a bit light as compared to other MF docs is very well laid out and on fancy paper, etc. Feels like it's made of woven hemp or something : )

DSC_0340.jpeg
Busy busy innards. The board is about as complicated as it could be. A daughter card up towards the jacks and another very very small add-on that looked to be microsurgery; last minute mod. You can see the dip switches on the upper left quadrant of the board, and a mysterious 6 or 7x2 header pin that may one day allow for mods of one type or another. A few solder points here and there also.

The sound !!! absolutely incredible. I had a Effectrode VibraChorus that was incredibly warm and musical but didn't have 1/10th of the dynamics of the Chorus half of this beast. I sold it and bought an Effectrode Phase-o-matic Deluxe primarily because it has a V.C.O (CV in for external waveform) but it again didn't do it for me. To be fair, I'm a bass player and the dynamics of my style of bass range from dry, muted half-rounds (fender) to bright MusicMan preamp and only the latter did the trick.

In the absence of recording and posting, all I can say is that it is well beyond anything that I've ever heard from a single pedal. It's actually a bit difficult to control !! If I could have a single pedal on my board, this would be it; the rhythmic flexibility afforded by the LFO and the extremes through which the + or - infinity can reach actually take the place of a delay pedal as far as generating sonically derived rhythm is concerned.

Impossible for me to express without a few examples.

So far, I spent about 2 hrs with my MusicMan mono into a Mesa amp and about 1/2 hr. with the String section of my Opus 3 (mono output into the MF-108 into my board).

Looking fwd to sharing some soon.
Last edited by EMwhite on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

latigid on

Re: Thread for MF-108 pics/recordings

Post by latigid on » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:43 pm

I think I see the footprint for the Rate LED immediately to the left of the DIP switch. With a bit of circuit tracing (or help from Moog :)) you might be able to pinpoint a site for an LFO out mod. It has three legs, and I am guessing it's red-green with the tertiary colour orange used for MIDI sync'd. Perhaps green represents tap-tempo?

Or from what you are saying, this provision may already be there, but not brought out onto the panel.

joe_moog

Post by joe_moog » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:21 pm

EMwhite wrote:#20 has landed; a few initial impressions and I hope to do some recording shortly
I have #21, next off the line, I guess...

Did you happen to notice on that 7x2 pin, was one of the pins absent/broken off? Mine's that way, but I couldn't tell from your pic whether it's the same on yours.
Sub 37 • Voyager Select Whitewash/Lunar White • VX-351 • Little Phatty Stage II w/CV out • Slim Phatty (x3)
MF-101 • MF-102 • MF-104SD • MF-103 • CP-251 • MF-108M • MF-105M
Moog Pocket Protector

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:43 pm

Threads like this make me want mine even more!!

C'mon Nova¤musik!!

Glad to hear that a bassist with similar tastes is finding this to be a good fit, I was reluctant about pulling the trigger! But it's MOOG, they just don't let you down!
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:13 pm

Pin broken off... yes, that is by design. The plug that attached here is 'keyed' (likely) so it will only go on one way. Likely used for diags or to upload base code, possibly for expansion.

And msg to Alien8 and anybody else that is hesitant... DO IT! Pull the trigger because as Moog said, this may be a limited release engagement. Whether that means a few (low) hundred or several years is unknown but I've attached two more pics that might be of interest. I can tell you that these guys have genuine Panasonic MN3007 BBD chips (a pair of them) which are hand soldered to the front of the board. Each does 51.2ms of 1024 stages. And btw: there's room for a third chip but I think Moog did the right thing by only putting two on there (thus making them go farther for more of us : ).
IMG_2206.jpeg
And for those curious, there are a number of test points clearly labeled on the board such as:

FEEDBACK CV
LEVEL CV (upper left)
MIX CV
and... something that simply says CLK (Clock?) (lower right)
IMG_2209.jpeg
And for all of those that don't care about this mumbo jumbo and just want to hear it... I'm one step closer and expect to put something up tomorrow (again, it's going to be bass so don't get your hopes up too much). Am sure some other folks having just received theirs will post shortly as well.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Vitja

Post by Vitja » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:52 pm

@ EMwhite

Wtf! I just discovered that MF-106 will be actually MF-106M !!!!!!!!! Take a look at the BOX! There is no more Delay, but there is 106!!!!! Hahahahahahahaha! :twisted:
Gear:Slim Phatty, Arturia Minibrute, Casio MT-600, MF-101,MF-102,MF104Z,MP-201,CP-251,Ibanez John Scofield, PRS custom 24, circuit bent Kawai R-100,Circuit Bent Roland TR-505, Boss Dr55, Akai MPK 25, Ensoniq DP/4, RME Fireface 800, tons of guitar effects.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:28 pm

Maybe everything now will be midified.

Hopefully it will be an Envgen/VCA with midi triggering....interesting stuff that could be done with that.

Where are those recordings?!?

EricK
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

joe_moog

Post by joe_moog » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:36 am

Vitja wrote:Wtf! I just discovered that MF-106 will be actually MF-106M !!!!!!!!! Take a look at the BOX! There is no more Delay, but there is 106!!!!! Hahahahahahahaha! :twisted:
Oh wow - good catch! I wonder whether that's a portent or a red herring...
Sub 37 • Voyager Select Whitewash/Lunar White • VX-351 • Little Phatty Stage II w/CV out • Slim Phatty (x3)
MF-101 • MF-102 • MF-104SD • MF-103 • CP-251 • MF-108M • MF-105M
Moog Pocket Protector

Vitja

Post by Vitja » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:56 am

At this point, what we need most is a VCA and ADSR. Is there need for them to go MIDI? Or is there something that we need more than that?
Maybe a MIDI/Tap tempo analog delay!!!!??? I still use moogers mostly on floor, but I would prefer CP based VCA/ADSR. I would prefer at least 3 VCAs. So I'm brainstorming on .com or Modcan... but this things just need too many modules, housings and power modules to work properly... This is the reason why I love moogers! CP is a really good example of flexible little gadget, that can do so many things.
I wish MF-106(M) would be 2xVCA/ADSR with some additional functions in a CP stile box.
Second choice for me is Multimode filter! I really miss HPF, and Notch!

Ok, I know that this subject is about Cluster Flux, so here is my question.
Can anyone tell me, how does classic chorus sound respond with guitar. The main reason I don't use chorus effects is the delay time...
so when you play a note, chorus produce a note a few milliseconds after the note you played. It feels like a latency.
Instead of using chorus I use MF-104z with a little modulation on a delay time.
But I'm just wondering how can you program the cluster flux to avoid this filling of "latency".
Any comments are very welcome!

Don't get me wrong, I'm buying it anyway! :wink:
Gear:Slim Phatty, Arturia Minibrute, Casio MT-600, MF-101,MF-102,MF104Z,MP-201,CP-251,Ibanez John Scofield, PRS custom 24, circuit bent Kawai R-100,Circuit Bent Roland TR-505, Boss Dr55, Akai MPK 25, Ensoniq DP/4, RME Fireface 800, tons of guitar effects.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:33 am

Not to mention ref in the manual to a midi clock source such as the MP-102

Last I knew there was no such multipedal "102" and with the 201 just discontinued...

Pg 4. Picture

Vitja

Post by Vitja » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:46 am

UOu!! :shock: But ti could be just a mistake... 201-102??? But Yeah! Mp-102. Great! Maybe an expender for 201!!! That would be great!

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:16 pm

Here's 'something'.

About ten minutes of my getting to know this thing. Took a while to get something that would record and sound even halfway decent. Not much musical here but I'll get there. For those into experimental, knob tweaking, etc. there's something here for you also. Unfortunately, the stereo levels were a good 45 degrees off center and there is some clipping. But it's something. I didn't mention it in the SoundCloud comments but the Mix knob was at 2 o'clock.

http://soundcloud.com/emwhite/emwhites-mf-108m-first

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:29 pm

Audio clip:

Wow! Very interesting.

I have a test scenario for you. See what happens to the LFO rate if you tweak any params…

On the murf I had, I wanted to take the beat pattern, and from a static white noise, I wanted to slowly turn the mix amount into the beat. When I turned the mix knob it slowed the rate.

So if you tweak the hell out of the mix, will that slow the rate? Will sending an lfo to any cv inputs slow the rate?

The difference between the flux and the murf is likely the LFO. SInce the murf probably had a digital one, thats probably why its processor was lagged with knob tweaking.

So Tweak all the params but the mix (even 3 knobs at once) send it cv’s also and see if that slows the rate down any.

This is what I would do to any Midi based fooger that I got.

I could slow the Midimurf's tempo in half by tweaking knobs. After an os update, it only slightly corrected the problem. Sending fast LFO's to the cv inputs from the ringmod or cp251 and turning the knobs cut the rate in half.

Eric

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:30 pm

As far as the manual goes....what I have seen of it doesn't look like Greg's work. I wonder if he authored it, or if he just changed formats. He was usually pretty damn meticulous about spelling errors and such.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:07 pm

EricK wrote:As far as the manual goes....what I have seen of it doesn't look like Greg's work. I wonder if he authored it, or if he just changed formats. He was usually pretty damn meticulous about spelling errors and such.
If it is Greg's work (it still may be), he's operating under constraints for a certain style of artwork, a sparse layout, etc. There is little if any theory but a manual like this will appeal more to a stompbox buyer... not a terrible idea.

As for your test case, I'll give it a shot tomorrow but I already know the answer, rate will change to compensate for the fact that the BBDs are only so deep.