MP-201 Discontinued

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
nrvana8775

MP-201 Discontinued

Post by nrvana8775 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:57 am

So.....what do I do with this thing now?

I know v3 is coming eventually, but what kind of product support will there be in the future? Is there a new controller coming out to replace this?

calaverasgrande

Re: MP-201 Discontinued

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:11 am

wow this is a huge bummer. I can only hope this means there is a more robust product in the pipeline?
I would love to see a device that has a greater volts range (like 7.5 volts for roland trigger). As well as something with more ins and outs, dare I ask for a midi or din sync option?
I also wonder if Moog might replace this with a product that has no footpedal at all and is much cheaper.
Easily 90% of folks I see using these have them up off the floor and use their hands to move the footpedal!
May as well be a cheaper big plastic knob.
Again hopeful thinking, but it is sad to see this product go as I am not aware of ANYTHING that has similar functionality.
Taurus III, Digitone, Dark Energy, OB6, MG1, Grandmother, Blofeld

nrvana8775

Post by nrvana8775 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:26 am

I hope there is something to replace this.

It really bothers me though. I bought it, and support for it has been minimal at best. Now, they are straight up discontinuing it.

What the hell? I can buy a cheap interface and run expert sleeper's silent way, which provides a decent gui, and A TON of outputs. I'm already starting to go that route, and might as well sell my mp-201.

This really sucks.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:08 pm

That's too bad. I really liked the one that I had. It allowed levels of control that were amazing. It never appeared to be a big seller.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:51 pm

I really hope this is to make way for a desktop version.

mico

Post by mico » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:01 pm

Can't say I saw this coming...I am actually surprised considering the MF-108m boasts silent MIDI commands (like 'Smooth Random').

This leads me to think an alternative is around the corner. Which, is concerning; considering that support is more likely to be dropped sooner in this case.

I wonder if we will ever the finished firmware update for the MP-201 and most importantly (especially for the MP-201), the editor/librarian.

The editor/librarian was really supposed to be the "opener" for this unit. Now though, an editor/librarian being released for a product with impending discontinuation haloing over it is a grim and unlikely prospect.

A pity, really.

Hopefully more I/Os will be available on whatever is released to replace the MP-201.
Moog Sub 37 (#0133), Ibanez M80M, & Doomy Bow
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:30 pm

I think its diffiult to program and personally think it could go in the direction of more controls a la Phatty and less like a stomp box. One knob for each channel could do amazing things which the single foot pedal can't do.

I bought the MP-201 for some LFO's with more shapes - the Voyager's square and triangle are too limiting. And perhaps should have started a modular rack of LFOs but you know where than leads... :D
I've stopped talking now.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:08 pm

I'm surprised and not surprised at the same time. MP-201 is not for the faint of heart and I'm not sure it caught on as well as originally intended.

Having said that, I wouldn't part with mine because I'm a gear head and have been working with Midi since the 80's (Dr. T on a CBM64 with a CZ-101 and Siel DK70 prototype that locked up every 15 minutes!! don't laugh!).

The oddest part of the announcement is that they have not yet announced a replacement; it isn't as if they have any competition in expression pedals and yet they continue to produce new CV gear that needs more and more controls.

Something more hands on like a midi equipped CP-251 but with more controls perhaps in double wide format. Then again, maybe the thinking is that DAW is the answer, have every pedal from here on out (their synths are already there) talk Midi CC and automation can be recorded in realtime thanks to the USB control surfaces and looping DAW software.

I might have better luck playing scratch-offs then guessing what is coming next.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:04 am

EMwhite wrote:... maybe the thinking is that DAW is the answer...
Hopefully not.
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

Vallenrat

Post by Vallenrat » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:02 am

In the MF-108M's manual there's a reference to an "MP-102". Might be a typo, might not be.

They might indeed come out with a desktop version in which one could still plug a regular or even a dedicated expression pedal.

CanadaWithLove

Post by CanadaWithLove » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:15 pm

Vallenrat wrote:In the MF-108M's manual there's a reference to an "MP-102". Might be a typo, might not be.

They might indeed come out with a desktop version in which one could still plug a regular or even a dedicated expression pedal.
That would be awesome if they did! Keep me posted!!! :P

Forgot to ask...is there's a newsletter that I can sign up for?
Last edited by CanadaWithLove on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

n factorial times k

Post by n factorial times k » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Count me as another MP201 user who really hopes that Moog fulfills its support obligations and releases a firmware update. I really have no major performance critiques, I just want an editor I can run on my computer!

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:03 pm

i am also disappointed that this particular controller had been discontinued. I may not be using it to the fullest, as some people here, but it is an essential. I am satisfied with it since the addition of Midi-to-CV. My main item on the wish list, regarding firmware, is that the voltage range setting could become per patch instead of global, it would free some CP-251 resources to be allocated elsewhere.

As for it's possible successor, nothing has been announced, so it's not a good sign. I can understand (or maybe not) a company discontinuing a product that does not meet sales expectations, but seeing my favorite piece of equipment (Voyager OS), the MF-104Z and now the MP-201 being replaced by VST's , Animoogs and such animals is not exactly what I am expecting from M.

CanadaWithLove

Post by CanadaWithLove » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:29 pm

Portamental wrote:i am also disappointed that this particular controller had been discontinued. I may not be using it to the fullest, as some people here, but it is an essential. I am satisfied with it since the addition of Midi-to-CV. My main item on the wish list, regarding firmware, is that the voltage range setting could become per patch instead of global, it would free some CP-251 resources to be allocated elsewhere.

As for it's possible successor, nothing has been announced, so it's not a good sign. I can understand (or maybe not) a company discontinuing a product that does not meet sales expectations, but seeing my favorite piece of equipment (Voyager OS), the MF-104Z and now the MP-201 being replaced by VST's , Animoogs and such animals is not exactly what I am expecting from M.
I wholeheartedly agree with you, Portamental. I would, more than anything, for the MP-201 to come back into production. Seriously, this controller is definitely an underrated piece of equipment. Is there perhaps a way to find this on eBay or Amazon for a used but new price? I realize I'd probably be paying out the tukus, but I think it's worth it. :)

O.K. I'm done with this topic for a while. Ha ha! :mrgreen:
From Canada with Love...
Has anyone ever purchased flat speakers before?

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:02 am

Used they are still cheaper than they were new. ~$400 sometimes cheaper since the reduced price blow out.

I would still like a desktop modulation hub. In addition to LFOs and Envelopes, I would like clock control where different outs could have different clock rates that are multiples of a master clock.

For now the machinedrum has become my modulation source for my LP. Extensive LFO shaping and triggering as well as parameter locks on CC values with slew on makes for some intense modulation.