Sonic tune up

Everything Phatty.
slabwax

Sonic tune up

Post by slabwax » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:55 pm

Has anyone sent in their LP for the sonic tune-up upgrade yet ? If so what can you tell me? I sent mine in last week for the tune up and new black end caps and a couple of other little things. My guess is I'll have it in two more weeks. Fortunately I'm out of town for the next two weeks so I won't miss in my space.

Slabwax

ZenHead

Re: Sonic tune up

Post by ZenHead » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:29 am

Yeah. I just got it back last night. I got the sonic upgrade as well as the vc outs. When I got it back I spent most of the night tweeking my freqbox as a third ocsilator. So I didn't get a chance to notice how the sonic up grade sounds.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:50 am

Please keep me posted

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:36 pm

ZenHead wrote: When I got it back I spent most of the night tweeking my freqbox as a third ocsilator.
Not intending to hijack the topic, but how is that doing? Do you feel the FreqBox is really like third oscillator? I tried this with a Dark Energy but I'm not sure about the "colour" compatibility between Moog's and Doepfer's oscillators...

Have you got a baby Voyager now?...

[EDIT] Ok, sorry but I've just realized I don't know what the "Sonic Tune Up" is. Is that the CV Out mod?

seank

Post by seank » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:41 am

also interested in the what a sonic tuneup entails...

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:35 pm

New caps in the d/a section and a few other things, but mostly the caps.

ZenHead

Post by ZenHead » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:53 am

Slabwax is right. Moog swapped out my caps and upgraded the internal software to,I think, 3.1.

For those who want to know... I sent my LP out about mid August. It took about four days to get there. When they are about to open the unit they call and I have a verbal conversation with the tech. Major hats off, the best customer suport I've ever had with a music company. They are just good in general. Anyway it was done the day they called. It took a little over a week to get to my house.

Now, how does it sound? As I mentioned above I also had the vc,s out done too. I've played my LP twice since getting back to you guys. Need to go to work to pay for this stuff. I think there is something as far as the sound from the sonic upgrade. I'm feeling a fuller sound than what it already had. It seems that the bass was better...more alive. I'm starting to think that Moog gave my LP bigger testicles. It,s subtle, but it's there.

As far as using my freqbox as a third ocs I'm not sure I'm feeling that. I'm going out from the Pitch cv out of the LP to the freq input on the freqbox. The the signal from the freqbox is comming from the osc out to the LP's pitch in. If anyone has sugestions, I would like to know. You do have to tune the freqbox whenever you change the waveform. I'm glad I got the cv's out but I'm not sure I like it with the single freqbox. A CP-251 is most likely the next addition. But I've got to say a thermion as a vc controler might take some wear off my filter knob.

I hope that helps. I'm typing on an I-touch sorry about the type-o's.

ZenHead

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:52 pm

ZenHead wrote: The the signal from the freqbox is comming from the osc out to the LP's pitch in. If anyone has sugestions, I would like to know.
You meant the audio in of the LP, didn't you?

Mr Shave

Post by Mr Shave » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:41 pm

I everyone, long time lurker, first time poster... :)

I recently got the sonic tune up also (along with new blue LEDs). At first I didnt really notice any difference. I think it is a situation where you really need to hear an unmodded and a modded unit side by side to really hear the difference, however, after reading the post about the bass sounds being fuller, I think i would have to agree. I feel it has a better low end!

As for the freqbox, because the Phatty doesnt have a mixing pot for the audio input, and the OSC out of the freqbox is so hot, it takes some sensitive tweaking with an attenuator BEFORE it goes into the phatty to get it to sound good. But I have gotten it to sound killer. Only issue is that if left on for a while, the freqbox gets out of tune with the phatty oscillators. Overall, i love the combo.

Its interesting to use the mod bus out of the phatty also to modulate the freqbox while doing this!