what should moog release next?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

what should moog release next

"more affordable synthesizer"
8%
vocoder
5%
drum machine
13%
modular
11%
new moogerfooger (mf style)
10%
new moogerfooger (cp 251 style)
14%
self contained poly synth
39%

Total votes: 202

EricK

Re: what should moog release next?

Post by EricK » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:20 pm

Hey! Glad to see you are back. I figured you were suckerfished to the glass of that museum's Modular display. I would have been. :lol:

I posted this before, but Moog doesn't have a good track record when it comes to polysynths. I think the company was probably going down for other reasons, but the Poly/Memory sealed the fate of the NY plant.

Now, I have posted before also about what kind of era are we in as far as analogue synths go. If the 70's was the golden age that led to the 80's dump, and the 90's rebirth, the 21st century is like the renaisance, where we are returning to those great monster synths. Oberheim is back making the SEM's again, Moog is going Back to the Future leaning more towards modular all the time, and there are more formats and companies in the modular department than ever before, and they are also more affordable than ever.

Is this the time where we can see a resurgance of the bus sized synths? THats why I was hoping for a huge polysynth.
If thats what it takes to get that sound, im thinking, Im hoping, that its going to come to that. I want a huge phantom of the opera synthesizer to sit at, If it takes 5 years for them to do one the right way, or longer, then I'll be in an even better position to get one. If cooling is an isue, they can always borrom from the computer industry those silent water or nitrogen cooling units....whatever they are.

Not alot of people here wanted to see a huge monster like that either. Im sure that, and even especially back in the day, noone wanted to pay for or haul around those huge modulars either.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:53 pm

this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XUiJi5153Y
saw one secondhand for a reasonable price, 4 people were faster within 1/2 hour ..

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:56 am

or otherwise a reissue of the moog parametric eq ( probably better in the bass, but not as "surgically-sharp" as the chap descibed above ).
that resonator from the polymoog surely has amazing possibilities

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:40 am

I wonder how popular a bare bones single-VCO monosynth from Moog would be these days... Something akin to the Micro but with a more modern approach...
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

Jaguarfooger

Post by Jaguarfooger » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:20 am

Kenneth wrote:I wonder how popular a bare bones single-VCO monosynth from Moog would be these days... Something akin to the Micro but with a more modern approach...
I'd be far more excited by a synth like the lil-phatty with a less-modern interface....more switches, more dials, more hands on control. Or new instruments that draw upon the patchability/connectivity of modular systems.

MC

Post by MC » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:32 am

sunny pedaal wrote:or otherwise a reissue of the moog parametric eq ( probably better in the bass, but not as "surgically-sharp" as the chap descibed above ).
That would be a challenge as the original used custom dual ganged pots each with different resistance and some weird taper (20% log taper).

It's a very good parametric EQ though, I have one.
that resonator from the polymoog surely has amazing possibilities
Afraid not. That resonator has a fatal flaw: 6dB/oct filters. They sound too buzzy. The YT demos are deceptive because they are using an external sound with minimal harmonics. If you tried to make a formant filter from just the Polymoog, the 6dB/oct lets too many harmonics through - even at moderate to high resonance - and it sounds too buzzy. I've had my PM since 1985 and tried desparately to make some use out of that resonator - not much.

The Murf is a much better timbre shaping device.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:20 am

MC,
So what do you make of PM Resonator modules that are clones? You don't think they are worth buying?

praxisaxis

Post by praxisaxis » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:19 pm

Personally I'd like them to do a new Liberation. With more new synth options, in the shape of a keytar!!

ZenHead

Post by ZenHead » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:58 am

Since one of the upgrades for the moog guitar is a 13 pin midi conector. I would like to see Moog produce a unit that a midi guitar can dirctley plug into and has a number of lfo outs

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:16 pm

praxisaxis wrote:Personally I'd like them to do a new Liberation. With more new synth options, in the shape of a keytar!!
Because that wouldn't weigh a ton, at all. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Augment

Post by Augment » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:27 am

I guess an analog drum machine would be pretty cool. I can't really think of anything off the top of my head that would make it unique, but I'd like to see what their take on it would be.

A small monosynth (one oscillator) that has an insane amount of modulation options would be nice. Multiple LFO's, maybe even extra envelopes to use for a source (rather than having to share with Filter and Volume), and more destinations than what is commonly available.

Overall, I'd like to see smaller, more unique, inspiring equipment rather than huge poly and modular systems. Like the stuff Korg is doing with the Monotron / Monotribe.

banyek

Post by banyek » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:20 am

Augment wrote:I guess an analog drum machine would be pretty cool. I can't really think of anything off the top of my head that would make it unique, but I'd like to see what their take on it would be.

A small monosynth (one oscillator) that has an insane amount of modulation options would be nice. Multiple LFO's, maybe even extra envelopes to use for a source (rather than having to share with Filter and Volume), and more destinations than what is commonly available.

Overall, I'd like to see smaller, more unique, inspiring equipment rather than huge poly and modular systems. Like the stuff Korg is doing with the Monotron / Monotribe.
i'd also love to see a drum machine, though i think moog does not have the experience of creating sequencers - a standalone drum synth without a sequencer would sound nice though!i really synthesise nice percussive sounds ot of my slim phatty, but a dedicated machine would be more lovely with some more filters, lfos, etc.

edit: i know moog has released sequencers in their modulars too, though i'd say they have endlessly more experience with oscillators, filters, etc.
moog slim phatty, carbon copy mxr, electribe es-1, vermona drm-1, Doepfer A-125, A-106-5, A-143-9, MFOS 16-step sequencer, zoom h2

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:19 am

just saw the animoog

sorry folks , but it really makes me wonder if moog shouldn't stick to what they are best in :
creating and developing/ making of analogue synth's and things there around ?
i could give some suggestions if necessary :

1 finishing the t3
2 further develop the voyager
3 getting the pedals work perfectly
4 making a polyphonic moog
5 making a true modular moog
6 recreating the parametric eq
7 make a small analogue gadget synth like the korg monotron

really moog , stick to your core business too please , ipads software synth's all nice, but is it moog ?

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:34 am

So Animoog has just been released and still no bug fixes for the T3 or an editor for it.

I'm sure Apps are where it's all at for the trendy folks, but for those of use that are happy to pay more than 99 cents for a product we'd like to see a bit more support happening.
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:13 am

I saw an article on CNN today that read "Can you make a million dollars with apple?"

Im hoping at least that these apps will generate them ridiculous revenue that they will hopefully pour into R&D.