VX-351 Output Adapter

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
artpunk

VX-351 Output Adapter

Post by artpunk » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:16 am

I recently had a conversation with the authorised Moog dealer I purchased my Moog Select Voyager from (just last week, I love it!) ...anyway, I was asking about getting a VX-351 and what he knew about the Output Adapter mentioned in the manual. He had no idea about it. I'm presuming you still need to install this adapter, I was just surprised the dealer was oblivious.
I must admit, I am surprised/confused that an owner of Voyager would have to unscrew the back of their machine to do this if they want to use the VX-351. Why is it not installed when the Voyager is made? From what I can gather it is a simple plug-in doohicky (dont laugh, thats a technical term!) that goes inbetween the output ribbon connector and its socket. Does anyone know why this wasn't included in the original construction of the Voyager?
(and what happens with your warranty if you have to pry into the inner workings of your synth?)

A different question about my Voyager is the backlighting does not fully turn off when I turn the panpot fully anticlockwise. It dims but is still quite well lit. I'm presuming this is a problem with the panpot? Would it be hard to address? I just don't want my pretty Jade backlighting burning out before its time...

:?
Thanks in advance for any advice/answers to my above questions!
Cheers,
Cameron

"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST."
— Frank Zappa

EMwhite

Re: VX-351 Output Adapter

Post by EMwhite » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:34 pm

Can't answer your pot/lighting issue question but if suspect that if you want it to dim entirely, putting a proper value resistor inline would do the trick. Give Rosser a call at Moog support a call and he can likely discuss with you.

As for the output adapter, my understanding is that it was an after-the-fact development, meaning that upon creating the VX-351 (after Voyagers were shipping), Moog found the need to redesign the interface. Why it was not done at the VX-351 side of the wire is anybodies guess. But I can tell you that I have an Old School Voyager and the instructions dictate that you should NOT use the adapter, or at least it's not necessary.

But yes, it's a bit confusing.

With regard to voiding warranty, I can simply surmise that Moog trusts it's users with screwdrivers and the ability to follow simple instructions. I think the sticking point is finding a registered dealer within close proximity to your home. The two times I've had full synths serviced by Moog, I've dropped off personally in Asheville, NC (once at the old location and most recently at their new building) then paid for return shipping (which in the case of my Old School was only $35) but I've read plenty of cases with folks living in Europe or Moosejaw SASk and have not had that option.

Not sure I've helped you at all but do call Rosser at Tech support and he can likely provide guidance to the dimming issue and maybe some official statement on the output adapter.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:04 am

Hi,

I have the same backlight behaviour with my newly acquired Electric Blue. I just thought that it was normal.
If you do obtain any further info, please post the details... I was thinking of getting the vx-351 too!

Thanks
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

CountingToes

Post by CountingToes » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:39 am

I just received my 351 today an noticed this adaptor business. I've got the RME, and cant find anything about whether I should still open it up an install it? Anyone know? cheers
CT

Jamil

Post by Jamil » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:44 pm

The RME does not need to be disassembled to attach either expander. The DB25 cable simply connects to either expander and the appropriate connector in the back of the unit.

Jamil

Post by Jamil » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:15 pm

Okay -- it looks like I was mistaken and posted incorrectly.

For the VX-351, you do need to take the RME apart and install the buffering adapter that is supplied with this expander. It turns out that I never installed mine, which was a mistake on my part. I actually shipped my RME back to Moog for service for an unrelated issue with my VX-352, and the techs noticed I never installed this missing buffering adapter. They kindly installed it for me.

I got an email from Perry earlier on this, and he told me that the buffering adapter is included with the VX-351. I checked my boxes, and it was supplied with the VX-351. I mistakingly missed the part of me having to dissaemble my RME to install it. The adapter buffers output and protects it, according to the email I received from Perry.

Don't make the same mistake I did...

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:15 pm

this is SO not a big deal! i just got a VX-351 today and installed the Output Adapter in less than 10 minutes ... i didn't even have to take my Electric Blue off it's (2nd tier on) keyboard stand -[ note: an extra midiman 2x2 I had kicking around was the perfect size to use as a 'prop block'!]
I would say I have ZERO experience with this kind of thing but that's not strictly true anymore. I have swapped out the Hard Drives on my Mac, and put in extra ram - and although all of those simple tasks were a bit frightening at first they were all about the same difficulty level and well worth doing. I have to admit opening the back of the Voyager was not only a little scary but pretty far-out, too- like watching Bob Moog in one of those documentary clips. I didn't linger though not only did I want to make sure no dust got inside I was just too eager to start plugging things into the VX-351 --closed it up right away - works like a charm and no this doesn't interfere with your warranty.

now that it's installed I am eager to start experimenting with it (soon as I get dinner out of the way!)... what i want to know is I have a few MoogerFoogers to plug into it... will they suffice or do we need a CP-251 to really take advantage of the VX-351? ... and how well can it work all by itself with just the Voyager?
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

PortableFishy

Post by PortableFishy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:43 am

Jamil wrote:Okay -- it looks like I was mistaken and posted incorrectly.

For the VX-351, you do need to take the RME apart and install the buffering adapter that is supplied with this expander. It turns out that I never installed mine, which was a mistake on my part. I actually shipped my RME back to Moog for service for an unrelated issue with my VX-352, and the techs noticed I never installed this missing buffering adapter. They kindly installed it for me.

I got an email from Perry earlier on this, and he told me that the buffering adapter is included with the VX-351. I checked my boxes, and it was supplied with the VX-351. I mistakingly missed the part of me having to dissaemble my RME to install it. The adapter buffers output and protects it, according to the email I received from Perry.

Don't make the same mistake I did...
Just to double check, is the output adapter really required to use the VX-351 with the Voyager RME version? I'm a little confused since the manual says "The RME does not require the VX-351 output adapter to be installed". I just got my VX-351 & DB-25 cable but haven't connected them together yet just to be on the safe side.

PortableFishy

Post by PortableFishy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:27 am

Just a quick update regarding this, I just double checked with Rosser @ Moog and confirmed that the Voyager RME does not require the output adapter. It can be connected as–is to the VX–351 using the DB-25 cable.