Looking to buy my first new moog

Everything Phatty.
Bert

Looking to buy my first new moog

Post by Bert » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:58 pm

Hey, I am new to the forum (go easy),

I am looking to buy my first moog, the only other synth i own and have ever owned is my access virus ti polar,

I have a choice between the moog little phatty stage 1 or 2, or the slim phatty, i will most probably be buying second hand.

My question is is there something that i would be missing out if say i didn't splash out for the LP stage 2? The reason why i want it is i have my virus mainly for my leads and i want a synth that can help me deliver very hard hitting dirty electro/ progressive style bass's.

Say if i was to buy the Slim phatty it wouldn't be a problem to use that through MIDI so i can use my virus at the keyboard but i don't want to spend say 5/600 when i could have spent an extra 2 and there be a big difference

Hope some1 can help :)

Thanks!

kamilof

Re: Looking to buy my first new moog

Post by kamilof » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:31 pm

Both the SLIM and the STAGE Phatty have the same electronics and sound alike :P . For increased polyphony I use together 3xSLIMs and 1xSTAGE, but if you just want the old school dirty monophonic sound, one SLIM would do (make sure you mess around with the analog overdrive).... have fun 8) !

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:29 pm

Id go for the Stage II phatty.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Barely

Post by Barely » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:56 am

It depends mostly on how good a keyboard player you are, if you play live and how important the on-hands feeling for you is.
If you are going to play simple bass lines or mostly program wobble basses, then the slim phatty is enough,
If you want to get the whole enchilada (playing live with glissandi, sweeping the filter with your left hand and controlling the modwheel with your elbow, then the Little phatty is best. Both phatties go together very well with the Virus TI ;).
If you are going to play live every now and then, go for the LP. If you are programming anyway, a slim phatty is enough. As Kamilof said, they sound exactly the same, and they sound GREAT :)

Bert

Post by Bert » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:52 am

Thanks a lot for your replies :) - I just went to buy a Slim Phatty & seen a Little Phatty stage 2 advertised for £600.00 - I couldn't resist :)

It comes on thursday.. Wish me luck :)

Barely

Post by Barely » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:47 am

Bert wrote:Thanks a lot for your replies :) - I just went to buy a Slim Phatty & seen a Little Phatty stage 2 advertised for £600.00 - I couldn't resist :)

It comes on thursday.. Wish me luck :)
That's three things in one: a very good price, very much luck and a wise decision :)

Bert

Post by Bert » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:56 am

Thanks Barely Im looking forward to becoming part of the Moog community :)