SP Oscillator 2 taking forever to warm up...

Everything Phatty.
seank

SP Oscillator 2 taking forever to warm up...

Post by seank » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:24 pm

Adjusting the fine tune while the slim phatty warms up to compensate doesn't do the trick for me because oscillator 2 is way out of tune when I turn it on and takes a super long time (30 minutes or so) to sync up to oscillator 1. I've run all calibration routines and it's always the same deal. Anyone else have this problem or are both oscillators equally out of tune (in sync with each other but not tuned/warmed up)?

Briman

Re: SP Oscillator 2 taking forever to warm up...

Post by Briman » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:19 pm

Hey Seank...

I too am quite unhappy with the Slim Phatty's overall warm up time.
I thought it would be much better than it is... tuning wise!

- I did a warm up test... with a Boss TU-12H digital tuner plugged in to the main Audio Out.

- From Powerup... to the point where OSC 1 comes "UP" to pitch... and stays there... takes exactly 45 Minutes on my SP!?

- This result from using the Calibration preset (OSC 1 only) and the SP set to "AutoTune".
(I played a C Midi note to activate AutoTune)

- Using a Two OSC Bass Patch... with OSC 1's Level turned off... from Powerup... OSC 2 takes a full 2 HOURS to come "Down" to pitch!?

- AutoTune was still on... but it doesn't work on OSC 2 apparently???

I bought the SP to use both Live & Studio... but now... with a 2 hour warm up time before any saved detuned Bass patches
warm up to the small amount of detune they were saved at... is not what I want to deal with during Live use!

Meanwhile during the 2 hour warm up wait... it should be an Option to use a PWM type Bass sound using OSC 1 only (after a 45 minute warm up)...
BUT... it is not possible to save a PWM sound on the SP... with the Modulation Amount "saved" as well?
You have to rely on either turning up a Mod Wheel... or activating a Modulation Pedal!

My MIDI BASS Controller doesn't have a Mod Wheel... so I would need to stand on my Modulation ON... momentary pedal...
for the additional 75 minutes it takes OSC 2 to warm up... before I can use any of my slightly detuned, two OSC Bass Patches!
This isn't really a resolve. http://www.industrialradio.com.au/midi- ... luxe-4.php

So it seems that the SP really isn't meant for Live use... especially... living in a Rack... in a set & forget mode...
like most all other Synth Modules... unless you have 2 Hours to spare!?

So perhaps... just for your own Studio use it looks like... where you leave it on all day! Even if you bring it to another Studio...
you still have to wait at least 45 Minutes for OSC 1 to stop drifting!

I haven't tried running the SP's Calibrarion modes yet... as it is a brand new unit... so shouldn't have to.
Once it's all warmed up (after 2 hours)... it's totally fine.

Also... the VALUE Knob on my unit is very loose feeling... and doesn't always work properly when you turn it a bit!?
And it IS the Main Programmer Knob!

Hey Amos... any plans or ideas at Moog for a new, revised SP-2 unit... with much better warmup times...
and where OSC 2 is also controlled by AutoTune?! :)
Many thanks!

Cheers,
Brian :)

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:00 pm

We're definitely looking at ways to improve this. Couple of things in the meanwhile, related to the mod wheel issue:

1) press and hold the MOD AMNT button on the Slim Phatty; it will start to blink. The Modulation knob is now a "mod wheel" and will set the mod wheel amount. Press and hold MOD AMNT again and it will stop flashing and revert to its normal function.

2) I *might* be able to allow you to save this per preset, for ready-to-go PWM sounds. That would be totally handy; I'll look at it tomorrow.

seank

Post by seank » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:08 pm

thanks brian for the info and thanks amos for trying to fix this!

point.source

Post by point.source » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:45 am

hi there

my SP takes from 20 - 30 min to warm up

just to let u guys know, i don't have this long wait problem

spin

Post by spin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:03 pm

My SP is pretty fast to have osc2 tracking osc1, but it takes long time to stop tuning drift.
On other hand i have LP that takes a short time to stop tuning drift, but takes very long long time to get osc2 tracking close to osc1. I don't know the reason about this :\
Nothing to say about the ABSOLUTELY GREAT WORK OF AMOS ON 3.1 but i really hope for a significant improvement to warm up/tuning behavior on phatty's world because this is very important for a live use of phatty'sss :D

Cheers^.^

Gil

Post by Gil » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:55 am

Hi guys,

I have recently posted a thread about my Slim Phatty taking around 1.5 to 2 hours to warm up and stop drifting.
Moog support's answer was just that it's due to the SP's small size and there's nothing you can do about it.

What i WOULD like to know is, why certain Phatties take longer (even much longer) than others to warm up?
They all use the exact same hardware don't they?

I'm still waiting for an explanation for this... maybe it will help me accept the fact that I own a unit that takes 2 hours to warm up while others have it good and only need 20 minutes.
I own a bunch of vintage VCO synths and they're ALL ready to play after 15 minutes or less.

Amos, any chance for a proper, official explanation for this? I would really appreciate it...

Thanks

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:27 am

Let me know the serial number of your SP,
I'd like to see if there's any pattern to which units take longer to warm up vs. ones that seem to stabilize more quickly.

Gil

Post by Gil » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:07 am

Mine is 00817.

Thanks for checking into this!

Briman

Post by Briman » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:08 pm

Hey Amos...

My SP Serial is: 00966

As in my previous post... this SP has an overal warm up time of 2 hours!

It also has a very flakey VALUE encoder!

Thanks also...
Cheers,

seank

Post by seank » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:12 pm

Mine is 0033.

banyek

Post by banyek » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:37 pm

mine: 0567 - no issues so far
moog slim phatty, carbon copy mxr, electribe es-1, vermona drm-1, Doepfer A-125, A-106-5, A-143-9, MFOS 16-step sequencer, zoom h2

Sigue Sigue Huil

Post by Sigue Sigue Huil » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:12 am

I don't have a problem with the second oscillator, but my overall tuning doesn't stabilise until at least over an hour. I have to keep a tuner plugged into the headphone out on stage so I can adjust the fine tuning between songs.

SP 00314

Amos

Post by Amos » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:17 am

not intending this to turn into the "post the serial number of your SP" thread (don't we have one of those? :))
-- but if your SP is taking as long to warm up as the longer examples in this thread, please email me at amos at moogmusic dot com.
It will take a while to gather enough data.

Thanks!

Briman

Post by Briman » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:37 pm

[quote="Briman"]

- I did a warm up test... with a Boss TU-12H digital tuner plugged in to the main Audio Out.

- From Power up... to the point where OSC 1 comes "UP" to pitch... and stays there... takes exactly 45 Minutes on my SP!?

- This result from using the Calibration preset (OSC 1 only) and the SP set to "AutoTune".
(I played a C Midi note to activate AutoTune)

- Using a Two OSC Bass Patch... with OSC 1's Level turned off... from Powerup: OSC 2 takes a full 2 HOURS to come "DOWN" to pitch!?

- AutoTune was still on... but it doesn't work on OSC 2 apparently???

UPDATE:
So now with the New OS 3.1 installed... I just did the same "Warm Up" test with a Tuner... as above.

Here are my NEW Results:

- From Powerup... to the point where OSC 1 comes "UP" to pitch... and stays there... now takes 60 Minutes on my SP!? (45 minutes previously though!?)
(Auto Tune ON)

- Using a Two OSC Bass Patch... with OSC 1's Level turned off... from Power up: OSC 2 now only takes 30 minutes to come "UP" to pitch!?
It previously took 2 Hours to come "DOWN" to pitch!?

- So... my SP's "overall" Warm Up Time has greatly improved: from 2 Hours... down to 1 Hour... before being able using Detuned... or PWM Bass Patches!

Not sure why it now takes an extra 15 minutes for OSC 1 to warm up to pitch though?
But OSC 2's warm up time is now 90 minutes LESS than before... so this is a HUGE improvement!!! :)
Would be GREAT if OSC 1's warm up time could also be 30 Minutes!!! :)

Interesting to Note:

- Now with OS 3.1... all the "saved" Detune Amounts of all MY 2 Oscillator Patches... and ALL of the Factory Patches that I kept...
had to be Re-Tuned after the total warm up time... as OSC 2 in all the Patches... was WAY FLATTER than before... re: OSC 2's new warm up Specs!?

Many thanks again Amos for all your hard work! Good to "see" you in the new Moog YouTube video: "Phatty Firmware Update OS v3.1"! :)

All the Best...
Cheers,