Little phatty bug

Everything Phatty.
Electrolight

Little phatty bug

Post by Electrolight » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:07 am

Hi, this is my first post in this forum, probably not the last ;)

I'm a very happy owner of the little phatty, I've heard a lot that you're paying for the name of the company and so on when buying a Moog, but I don't think so, I can't imagine a better instrument for me :)

I am having some issues however: sometimes when scrolling through presets on the LP, the LP gets blocked for a couple of seconds, it's just doing nothing at all, stops scrolling for a while too, and I don't get any sound when pressing keys, and if I was pressing a key while scrolling it keeps on going. It's like when a computer's about to crash, or is going really slow

one more thing: the presets where the little phatty tends to 'crash' are the ones I have modified or saved, and it only crashes when I go DOWN, not when I go up some presets, and also mostly when I'm turning the knob at an average speed, not like one at a time, and not like 10 presets at a time

anybody had this problem too? I think I run the newest OS, should I try to reboot the LP or what should I do?

Pieter

jeepo

Re: Little phatty bug

Post by jeepo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:45 pm

I know there was a version of os 2 where an arpeggiator bug was causing things to freeze. on the patches where the freezes occur try turning down the rate of the arpeggiator. I think that bug was fixed in a latter version of the firmware. I'd try updating the the latest os 3 beta. If that doesn't fix it contact moog tech support, they are very helpful and friendly.

Good luck and I wish you a speedy resolution,
jeepo
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:54 am

this is exactly the arpeggiator-clock-source = LFO bug from OS 2.20. OS 2.21 and above should not have this problem. OS 3+ definitely does not have this problem, as "LFO" was removed from the list of arpeggiator clock sources. Ultimately, I determined that the LP processor was not fast enough to support running the arpeggiator at maximum LFO rate (1 kHz ), and an audio-rate arpeggiator wasn't as cool in practice as I thought it would be in theory.

Short story is, a firmware update will fix this. I recommend skipping directly to the latest OS3 beta version (to be posted later today)... or the official OS3 release (to be posted this week)

Electrolight

Post by Electrolight » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:30 pm

oh ok thanks a lot! apparently I don't get emails when somebody replies, luckily I checked the forum ;)
will update immediately, is this possible without overwriting all the presets I've made?

Edit: sorry I've figured it out :) the update is great, and I'm loading and backing up lot's of patches on the moog with the sysex editor, very handy, it creates lot's of space for me to work and save new patches
the new features like lfo retrigger are astounding!