Save Octave Down/Up with Preset?

Everything Phatty.
jessemiller

Save Octave Down/Up with Preset?

Post by jessemiller » Thu May 12, 2011 1:55 pm

Is it possible to save the Octave Down/UP postion with a preset? That would be quite handy.

tript

Re: Save Octave Down/Up with Preset?

Post by tript » Thu May 12, 2011 10:40 pm

I thought it did save?

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri May 13, 2011 8:07 am

It does save on the Little Phatty as it's a transpose function for the (built-in) keyboard.
It doesn't save on the Slim Phatty as you must send MIDI from elsewhere; it made more sense to me that you'd just play higher/lower MIDI notes or save the transposition on your controller rather than on the module.

i'm open to the idea of changing this (so that octave up/down on the Slim is saved per preset) but I think there's some argument to be made that it's better as a global control on the Slim... what do you think?

Tidda

Post by Tidda » Sat May 14, 2011 3:22 pm

What would be the implications for polyphonic chaining?

Tidda

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon May 16, 2011 11:50 am

for poly chaining I assume you would not be using a Slim Phatty as your master controller, since it has no keyboard.
In that case you would not want to use the transpose buttons on any of the Slims in your chain.
You'd want to transpose octaves on the keyboard you're playing, instead. That way you transpose only in one place and all the voices in your chain will get the same transposed MIDI notes. So, should be a non-issue for poly chaining (except to be sure not to fool with the octave buttons on the Slims).

Tidda

Post by Tidda » Mon May 16, 2011 7:22 pm

Indeed, in that case you would not want to use those buttons on the Slim Phatties. But wouldn't saving the setting of those buttons on the Slim(s) be sort of fooling with them?
The 'lined up' preset on the Slim now also has saved e.g. a 'one octave down' setting, doubling the effect?

Am I right to conclude the octave down/up setting on the Little Phatty does nothing when using it with an external controller (or sequencer) as it is a transpose button for the built-in keyboard? Checked the manual, but couldn't find the answer. The only clue was that the octave down/up buttons don't have a CC assigned to them.

Tidda

jessemiller

Post by jessemiller » Mon May 16, 2011 11:15 pm

Hey Amos - met you briefly when I stopped in at the factory.

I think it would be great to have the octave setting save with the preset. I'm sure other people might set up their midi keyboard differently, but I use mine to control multiple synths/samplers and have it set so I never have to change the presets on the midi controller.

Eliminating even one extra button press to recall a patch (or remember that I have to do it) really helps in a live setting.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Tue May 17, 2011 7:40 am

Tidda wrote: Am I right to conclude the octave down/up setting on the Little Phatty does nothing when using it with an external controller (or sequencer) as it is a transpose button for the built-in keyboard?
Yes!

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue May 17, 2011 12:08 pm

Tidda wrote:[...]wouldn't saving the setting of those buttons on the Slim(s) be sort of fooling with them?
The 'lined up' preset on the Slim now also has saved e.g. a 'one octave down' setting, doubling the effect?
Yes, that's why you cannot save the octave up/down setting on the Slim currently. It created exactly the "double transpose" problem you describe, when used with a Little Phatty as the controller keyboard.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue May 17, 2011 12:14 pm

For what it's worth, other modules adopt the same behavior.

I have a Korg Radias-R which has a feature for transpose up or down 2 octaves from center; if you plug in the external [hard wired] keyboard the function becomes active, if you us it as a midi module as I do, it's deactivated.

Other modules do have an additional transpose built in such as the Tom Oberheim SEM-Midi; so you have the +/- on the SEM plus of course you can always transpose your Midi kbd. But it hasn't got any stink'in presets [doesn't need them, haha] It's a mono instrument so no poly mode, etc. How does the old saying go? "Presets are for the Weak"?
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!