LP OS3?

Everything Phatty.
Briman

Re: LP OS3?

Post by Briman » Thu May 05, 2011 2:25 am

Amos wrote:I think the stuck notes on Stage / Stage II bug is now fixed. I'm having no problems on my unit.
Also I fixed the volume velocity to headphone output... it was a simple oversight.
Volume velocity sensitivity will never be perfect; it's a bit of a "hack" ... that's why there's a little click when you play a soft note right after a very loud note.
Also, the envelope times can seem different on headphone output vs. the main output.
I recommend to use the main output with volume knob at maximum and adjust your system level accordingly. I don't use the headphone ouput (that's why I hadn't noticed the volume velocity issue) :-)

Cheers,

Amos

(oops) almost forgot to post new links! This is beta 2:

Slim Phatty -
Windows: http://seamslikereality.com/moog/Slim_P ... A2_WIN.zip
Mac: http://seamslikereality.com/moog/Slim_P ... A2_MAC.zip

Little Phatty Stage / Stage II -
Again, this is a beta, update at your own risk, read the instructions carefully, etc...
Windows: http://seamslikereality.com/moog/LP_Sta ... A2_WIN.zip
Mac: http://seamslikereality.com/moog/LP_Sta ... A2_MAC.zip

(if you've already updated, just need to run PhattyLoader from these new files)
**********************************************************************************************************************************

Hey Amos...

When I download your file... "Slim_Phatty_v3_1_BETA2_MAC" from above...
it's "Read Me" text says it's a... "Moog Little Phatty Stage / Stage II synthesizer firmware update v3.1"...
with no mention or confirmation that's it's actually for the Slim Phatty... other than in the file's title?

I obviously don't want to mess up my brand new SP by installing the wrong software!
Please advise. Many thanks!

Cheers,
Brian :)

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu May 05, 2011 7:07 am

I was very careful to make sure the firmware files were correct; it's just the readme that was switched. I'll fix it. Meanwhile you should be able to do the firmware update, no problems.

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Thu May 05, 2011 8:03 am

So, regarding volume sensitivity...

what is the curve/math behind the values 0-8? I'm liking 3 and 4 mostly but it depends on the patch.

are the positive vol sens values essentially performing the same math as the positive filt sens values? i'm just curious so i can wrap my head around it.

this is going to make a great difference once some patches are tweaked to include this setting - just that little bit of control really helps to make the LP more expressive, IMO.

thanks Amos!
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Thu May 05, 2011 8:08 am

one more thing - seems like when vol sens is enabled the overall volume is reduced slightly. it's more apparent on some sounds over others. if you set vol sens to 0 and then hit a key at maximum velocity and then (while continuing to hit the key with maximum velocity) increase the value of the vol sens you'll hear the overall vol itself dip. i'm using the normal (not headphone) audio output in my experiments.
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu May 05, 2011 9:32 am

the volume sensitivity math is what I would call "crude but effective."
I have no floating-point math ability and wanted to keep the whole calculation process under 100 microseconds if possible.

What happens is that the maximum output should be 100% (of whatever the Master Volume setting is).

Then you have a volume sensitivity of 0 to 8. This is "how many eighths" of the total output are scaled by velocity.

So you end up with:
((Master Volume setting) * (sensitivity) * (actual velocity)) / (maximum velocity)
PLUS
((Master Volume setting) * (8 - sensitivity))

(all divided by 8 )

... equals the total output level. If sensitivity is zero, the output is fixed at the full master volume setting.
If the sensitivity is 8, the output is completely determined by velocity, with no fixed component.
In-between settings have a fixed minimum value (that is higher at lower sensitivity settings) with the remainder of the total determined by velocity.

nikola

Post by nikola » Thu May 05, 2011 10:12 am

Amos wrote:the volume sensitivity math is what I would call "crude but effective."
I have no floating-point math ability and wanted to keep the whole calculation process under 100 microseconds if possible.

What happens is that the maximum output should be 100% (of whatever the Master Volume setting is).

Then you have a volume sensitivity of 0 to 8. This is "how many eighths" of the total output are scaled by velocity.

So you end up with:
((Master Volume setting) * (sensitivity) * (actual velocity)) / (maximum velocity)
PLUS
((Master Volume setting) * (8 - sensitivity))

(all divided by 8 )

... equals the total output level. If sensitivity is zero, the output is fixed at the full master volume setting.
If the sensitivity is 8, the output is completely determined by velocity, with no fixed component.
In-between settings have a fixed minimum value (that is higher at lower sensitivity settings) with the remainder of the total determined by velocity.

way 8? is it hardware limitation ? could it be 80 (or any other bigger number than 8 )

I was always wondering about that issue ..
was i pushed or did i fall ?

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu May 05, 2011 10:16 am

nikola

Post by nikola » Thu May 05, 2011 10:21 am

:lol:

ok. no more questions.

but I do wish there was more people on this picture :)

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu May 05, 2011 10:30 am

I am only kidding you!

Really, the maximum number of increments we could have would be 16, because there are four bits of data defined within a Phatty preset to represent volume velocity.
So, I am trying this now, to see if it's better... Volume sensitivity will now be 0 to 15. I can let you try it for yourself in a few minutes, if you like...

(a few minutes later) OK! All done. Also, I fixed the little "click" at the beginning of notes when volume sensitivity is high... it's much better now.
And the 15 levels of sensitivity (0 is off, 1-15 is increasing levels of sensitivity) is much better than 8. Thanks for asking about it!

Hex File for Little Phatty:
http://seamslikereality.com/moog/StageS ... _1_649.zip

Hex File for Slim Phatty:
http://seamslikereality.com/moog/SlimSy ... _1_649.zip

You don't need to keep downloading copies of PhattyLoader; just download the hex file above, then in PhattyLoader, go to File...Open, and select the new file, before clicking the Update Firmware button.
Of course, the Phatty must be prepared to receive firmware by turning it on with the MASTER button held in.

Cheers,

Amos

nikola

Post by nikola » Thu May 05, 2011 11:31 am

Amos wrote:I am only kidding you!
good! I tough I offended coders holy Number or something !
Amos wrote: Thanks for asking about it!
No, No, Thank You :)

OK, Ive tested new update, here what is :

1. set vol. sens. to 8 (or 15 :) )
2. press key max., hold the key
3. and at the same time turn the master vol. knob, but just a "byte" - Vol jumps hi every time.

(i think someone already posted about it)

EDIT

Hey, Arpegg. and Vol Sens. are great combination !!

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Thu May 05, 2011 12:05 pm

Amos - great work - will try this latest hex file.

Since you're "in the code" - this might be crazy - but what are the possibilities of getting a "latch" function? I would love to be able to toggle the functionality of the Output ON/OFF or the Glide ON/OFF buttons to instead function as LATCH either globally or on a per-patch basis. Output would probably make more sense for global usage (since I never use it anyway) but Glide might work better if it were saved on a per-patch basis.

That's the last thing I'll ask for.

For what it's worth - now I use a battery-powered Roland latch pedal in the CV in when I need to latch a note - such overkill :)

Thanks again!

nikola

Post by nikola » Thu May 05, 2011 12:14 pm

earsmack wrote:Amos - great work - will try this latest hex file.

Since you're "in the code" - this might be crazy - but what are the possibilities of getting a "latch" function? I would love to be able to toggle the functionality of the Output ON/OFF or the Glide ON/OFF buttons to instead function as LATCH either globally or on a per-patch basis. Output would probably make more sense for global usage (since I never use it anyway) but Glide might work better if it were saved on a per-patch basis.

That's the last thing I'll ask for.

For what it's worth - now I use a battery-powered Roland latch pedal in the CV in when I need to latch a note - such overkill :)

Thanks again!
just stick the 1/4 inch adapter into CV gate. If I understood you correctly..I dont see the benefit of this latch function :( Spare bytes !!! :)

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Thu May 05, 2011 12:18 pm

During performance I prefer pressing a button (or footswitch as I currently do it) instead of trying to push a jack into a hole on the side of my synth ;-) This is not an "always on or off" thing - it's a "I'm playing, I want to sustain a note for awhile while I remove my hands or tweak knobs or whatever." Basically to be used like a sustain pedal more or less.

Now, having said that - a jack with an integrated passive push-button would be great for this situation :) but - an unused Output ON/OFF button would be better :-)

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu May 05, 2011 1:18 pm

nikola wrote: 1. set vol. sens. to 8 (or 15 :) )
2. press key max., hold the key
3. and at the same time turn the master vol. knob, but just a "byte" - Vol jumps hi every time.
Yes, don't do this. Volume Velocity works by controlling the Master Volume voltage via velocity.
Adjusting the Master Volume knob will override this - just as sending a MIDI CC to control Filter Cutoff will be overridden if you then turn the Filter knob.

So, only adjust the master volume "between" notes, rather than "during" a note, if using volume velocity sensitivity.

Cheers,

Amos

PS) earsmack, thanks for the suggestion but I think I won't do this. You are already doing what I would recommend - using a foot switch for sustain. That's one of the reasons the Gate jack is there, and you're using it correctly. :)

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Thu May 05, 2011 7:18 pm

hi,
i tried the update and works fine by me.i just notice some bugs with arp sending midiclock.

I worked on ableton live8, and i just can't stop or play my playback with LP.
I have to disable the slave mode in Live, then push play, then enable slave mode and it works... :(
and when I desable the ARP mode on LP, Live says "the sync signal is losing" and reads the track with its internal tempo.

is it normal ?

(on LP stage I)
windows 7 (64 bits) / Ableton Live 9 / Moog Sub 37 & Slim Phatty / soundcard Presonus Audiobox 1818 VSL