Moog Prodigy MK2 Osc in

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
sancho_mcgill

Moog Prodigy MK2 Osc in

Post by sancho_mcgill » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:25 pm

I have a Moog Prodigy and I recently started getting into remote controlling it via CV. I am very new to this and just yesterday I figured out how to control the VCF via a midi controller which has now sparked interest as to what the other inputs do, particularly the OSC in. I can't find any info about this input on the web. I have a Kenton pro2 and I am successfully controlling it using the following connections:

Prodigy S-Trig IN/OUT > Kenton Strig
Prodigy KYBD IN/OUT > Kenton CV
Prodigy VCF IN > Kenton Aux 1 - remote control the filter via a midi controller knob.

I'm very curious as to what the OSC IN does and what it's used for. Can someone explain what this does and how to connect it to other gear? Can I connect it to AUX2 port on my kenton pro 2 and expect to control the oscillator?

Thanks.

sedmo

Re: Moog Prodigy MK2 Osc in

Post by sedmo » Wed May 04, 2011 12:52 pm

I've just acquired a Prodigy on long term loan from a relative. :D
It's also a Mk2 with the same inputs as yours, I think.
I'm just about to buy (I think) the Kenton USB Solo - same as yours but Usb, I believe.

The rear of 'mine' (will have to work on removing these inverted commas) has the following:
S-Trig in/out (Cinch-Jones type), Keyb in/out, Osc in, VCF in, Sync in and obviously Audio out.

I was wondering whether I could control VCF via the Kenton Aux1. More good news - hopefully.
Aux 2 and 3 on Kenton are meant to control aspects of TB303 and MC202 and cannot be used for the Prodigy (email from Kenton).

Osc in, I presume is for an external osc off some other analogue gear. Not sure how it would work though.
I was wondering if Kenton Aux1 could be connected to Osc in and what might be achieved.

Sync in is for providing an external source for Osc Sync instead of using Prodigy's own.

I was curious how the LFO's on the Kenton are implemented. Does this feature essentially provide more LFO's to the Prodigy?
I'm still in the dark a bit as to what the Kenton can do for this setup. Perhaps you could help?
I use Ableton Live and plan to use some of the Max sequencer devices to drive the Prodigy.

Hope this helps a bit.