vangelis brass on the LP?

Everything Phatty.
warby

vangelis brass on the LP?

Post by warby » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:40 am

Hey folks

I’m going to be buying a little phatty in May, this will be my first foray into analog synthesisers. I’ve heard a lot of samples and watched a lot of videos and I think I’ve got a good idea of the sounds that the LP is capable of, but one sound that I haven’t heard coming from it is my all time favourite sound in the known universe... the swelling brass sound a la Vangelis..a la Bladerunner, from the Yamaha CS80.

Has anyone tried to program something like this on the LP?

Cheers
My tunes - soundcloud.com/warbatron

JWaltman

Re: vangelis brass on the LP?

Post by JWaltman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:47 am

it's a pretty simple kind of sound, it's not hard to get an approximate. But you will never get the typical CS80 sound.

?? no mp3 attachment allowed on a music forum?

well, here's a link which will stay up for a while.. A quick demo I made, with the for Vangelis typical "touch of reverb".

;)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/595534/brassdemo.mp3

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Wed May 05, 2010 5:19 pm

Nah you'll have way more luck using the Arturia plugin and a controller with aftertouch, the LP can't make that sound very convincingly. Like JWaltman just illustrated, you can make some brass sounds, but they don't sound like a CS80. Damn I'd love a CS80

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Thu May 06, 2010 4:28 pm

JWaltman wrote:it's a pretty simple kind of sound, it's not hard to get an approximate. But you will never get the typical CS80 sound.

well, here's a link which will stay up for a while.. A quick demo I made, with the for Vangelis typical "touch of reverb".

;)

I was rather thrilled by that sample! Would you mind posting the patch?

Thanks and congratulations on the good work!

JWaltman

Post by JWaltman » Fri May 07, 2010 8:02 am

thanks!

And no problem at all:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/595534/vangelish.mid

midi file with the sysex info for this preset..

turn the modwheel a bit up for a bit of vibrato, I liked it best using 2 poles for the filter, but you might prefer 4, and I accidentally saved it an octave too high.

have fun!

warby

Post by warby » Fri May 07, 2010 8:29 am

Thanks alot for posting the sample and patch JW.

It is a pretty simple sound on reflection, but i guess there is just something about the CS80 that gave it a certain character. I do like your sample, but as you say...it's not a CS80.

I sure will get on that patch you posted when i get the LP though! :D

Cheers, Dan
My tunes - soundcloud.com/warbatron

nikola

Post by nikola » Fri May 07, 2010 1:12 pm

warby wrote: but i guess there is just something about the CS80 that gave it a certain character.
aftertouch :?:
was i pushed or did i fall ?

JWaltman

Post by JWaltman » Fri May 07, 2010 9:46 pm

only polyphonic aftertouch doesn't do much ;)

but I guess it was sarcastic ;)

Anyway, the CS80 was a titan back then, and it still is, no way to compare this to the little phatty, or any moog for that matter. the CS80 just sounds different. Just like my (late) MKS-80, no way you can emulate this on a moog, but vice versa is the same thing.. Different beasts all together.

nikola

Post by nikola » Sat May 08, 2010 9:39 am

JWaltman wrote:
but I guess it was sarcastic ;)
no, really, i thought aftertouch is what makes brassy sounds convincing ( i'm not saying equal in color or quality )..

JWaltman

Post by JWaltman » Sat May 08, 2010 4:39 pm

aftertouch itself is nothing special, just another modulation source. Most synths have aftertouch these days, but don't sound anything like the CS80.

Especially in this case, a monophonic melody with barely any movement in the sound. Modulation wheel is enough for this (with LFO to pitch).. or even a delayed envelope to modulate the depth of the LFO depth.

PHC

Post by PHC » Mon May 02, 2011 3:23 pm

I'm also attempting to synthesize this - I'm watching Blade Runner tonight again :-)

I've found that CS-80 had a limit of 1 second on the attack portion of the envelope, so remember that while synthesizing this brass. Also remember 2-pole filter on cs-80.

nikola

Post by nikola » Mon May 02, 2011 4:27 pm

JWaltman wrote:it's a pretty simple kind of sound, it's not hard to get an approximate. But you will never get the typical CS80 sound.

;)

nice sound! 8)

nikola

Post by nikola » Mon May 02, 2011 4:31 pm

PHC wrote:I'm also attempting to synthesize this - I'm watching Blade Runner tonight again :-)

I've found that CS-80 had a limit of 1 second on the attack portion of the envelope, so remember that while synthesizing this brass. Also remember 2-pole filter on cs-80.
one of my favorite moves, fantastic atmosphere (picture + sounds/music)!