How often does a Voyager need to be tuned?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
10 ton splash

How often does a Voyager need to be tuned?

Post by 10 ton splash » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:14 pm

Greetings to the board! Question, how long does it usually take before a tuning is needed?

psicolor

Re: How often does a Voyager need to be tuned?

Post by psicolor » Sun May 01, 2011 6:01 pm

If you really need perfect calibration, do it every 6 months.
A lot of people do not need perfect calibration and will notice a detuning soonest after years.
http://www.psicolor.de

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Sun May 01, 2011 8:43 pm

Is a 6 month calibration because of the temperature change in the seasons? I wouldn't think it worthwhile if you know you have to change it back in another few months. I am amazed how in tune mine is and unless I can hear it obviously out of tune, really don't care.
I've stopped talking now.

MC

Post by MC » Mon May 02, 2011 6:14 am

I got one of the first signature voyagers back in 2003

It has been calibrated only once
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Thu May 05, 2011 4:29 am

MC wrote:I got one of the first signature voyagers back in 2003

It has been calibrated only once

same here.

is the tuning callibration procedure available somewhere in text/ jpg ?
and more on my wish list: is there a way to callibrate keyboardtracking for the vcf ??

bhrama

Post by bhrama » Sun May 08, 2011 10:00 am

Once since 2003, same as others here. I gig regularly, so It can be said these babies are ultra stable.
P6, Tempest, Sub37

10 ton splash

Post by 10 ton splash » Sun May 08, 2011 9:15 pm

Reads good, thanks for the info.

Niko

Post by Niko » Thu May 12, 2011 2:35 am

I use mine over a year and no re-tuning was necessary. Compare to my old Mini Moog D the Voyager behaves like a digital device - but it isn't!
On the other hand I really love the certain unpredictable behaviour and anarchistic mood of the D. Compensating an out-of-tune during a performance by using the pitch wheel creates some special sympathy to me - like a human and it's out-of-norm character - if he is open minded and not wearing blinders.
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered" - No. 6

Where is the tutti button on this instrument? ...

voyager0500

Post by voyager0500 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:50 am

With my EL Blue i find that its not the pitch that goes off that often but its the keyboard tracking for the oscillators. Actually i tuned my voyager yesterday as some of the patches were slightly off pitch.

The patches that use a single osc are fine but its when i start combining the oscillators (and put them on zero) i can hear this detuned (very slight) beating between oscillators.

Another way of checking is if you go into the panel menu and select init. parameters and turn on two oscillators at the time.

Since the patches are saved as values, the sound will change if/when the oscillators go out of tune, which is what prompts me to check the tuning.

I still havent figured out what causes it to do that. First i thought it was because i did a few gigs with it thinking it caused some of the tuning pots to be moved but now it happens while safely at home so the fact that i took it out has nothing to do with it.

Before yesterday last time i tuned it was 3-4 months ago i think..cant say for sure. But i can say it is definitely more often than twice a year..at least for my el blue.

Hope this helps!
Nik
'i used to be a plastic cup..'
-remarkable-