Favorite Pedals

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
noSpoonMusic

Favorite Pedals

Post by noSpoonMusic » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:54 pm

Im sure most have experimented with different guitar pedals/stompboxes through their moog gear. Synths react differently to most pedals than guitars. I was curious to see what other people have found to work nicely with their voyager/little phatty. Im especially interested in seeing what distortion/fuzz pedals people like. I've got a WMD Geiger Counter and its is AWESOME when run before the filter section of the voyager. . .super nasty. What about yall?

EMwhite

Re: Favorite Pedals

Post by EMwhite » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:21 pm

What the heck !!! *#()@$*# That Geiger Counter pedal is insane. But I have a question... what the heck is it? Read all that I could on their web site; is it like one of those Doepfer Bit Crusher devices (uses a primitive 8 bit computer for sampling then screws with the digital frequency before converting back to Analog?) I almost blew the speakers out of my fancy Mac laptop listening to those samples !!

Have you played it with a Bass guitar also or just kbd or maybe Guitar? I ask because some pedals are better suited for the frequency range of a guitar and I suppose a synth is actually a spread of both.

Thanks.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

noSpoonMusic

Post by noSpoonMusic » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:43 pm

yeah man, it really is insane. Its a bit crusher pedal that has knobs for both the bit depth and sample rate. The sample rate goes from faster than cd quality all the way down to 280Hz. The bit depth goes from 8 down to 1 bit. From there it sends the signal through a digital waveform. It has 200 something waveforms to choose from. It will destroy the sound, in a great way. You kind of need some kind of low pass filter to tame it down unless your going for more of a noise type patch. The coolest thing about it is that it has a cv input that can control the sample rate and bit depth. Great if youve got the moog CV expanders, or foogers. I've tried it with bass and guitar. Its definitely not something you would want to use by itself, but using it with some filters can really lead to some cool stuff.

What kind of distortion pedals do you run?

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:22 pm

Nothing but FreqBox -> MF-101 (am a Bass player so have limited use for distortion). With so many pedals out there, I wouldn't know where to start to tell you the truth. I was interested in the Malekko B*Ass master at one point but once I got the FreqBox I found some really good combinations of settings and patches.

Typically I prefer Bass straight into my Mesa Tube amp with a slight overdriven sound but lately have been playing through a Carl Martin compressor pedal into a MXR Filter envelope. For me it's either stutter finger funk (Jamerson/Rocco Prestia) or Flea but now that I've got a looper pedal setup I'm finding more use for layering and could use a dirty lead sound.

I love the foggers but they are a) big and not very portable (my pedal board which is big and heavy enough is full) and b) 'complicated' which is to say that the tweakers delight that is typically great for playing keys doesn't work for ME on Bass. I'm just not that strong of a player so tend to stay towards traditional sound and pedals.

I'm in the middle of mounting my 3 foggers into a 'box' that will have a simple power input (NEMA type) and a place for my Multipedal to stow away. From there I might consider dragging the MF's around. But for now, I usually just take my Bass and run.

To answer your question directly, the only pedal that I've played my Phatty through is the T-Rex Replica and a pair of Effectrode Tube based Pedals that I had. (have just recently sold both on eBay and am now in the market for a good rack mount multieffect module). I also have a Fender tank reverb but am getting ready to part with it; love the springy goodness but it's too one dimensional which is to say that when I reach for the overdrive knob, the tank goes into feedback hell that is impossible to break out of; (that fine line of runaway echo's on an analog delay which is reasonable to control and a screeching echo in a tank reverb).
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

spin

Post by spin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:41 am

For you guys is better a normal distortion, an heavy distortion like metal distortion, or a fuzz distortion, to use with phatty/voyager? Wich works better?

noSpoonMusic

Post by noSpoonMusic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:44 am

That completely depends on what sound your going for. Some fuzz pedals work better with the voyager than others. . . same for overdrive/distortion. Im going to start running everything through a bass/guitar amp and back into a ribbon or dynamic mic. Ill let you know how it sounds

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:15 am

Aside from MF-102, 103 + 104Z, I run the Voyager through Biscuit, Sherman Filterbank and Wow & Flutter.
zoozither.com

spin

Post by spin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:15 am

what do you think about a basic pedal distortion like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pYHTmlxlsQ
how it will sound with a moog gear?

@ polyslax: yo man you have a really cool stuff! pls post some of your music xD :mrgreen:

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:21 pm

spin wrote:@ polyslax: yo man you have a really cool stuff! pls post some of your music xD :mrgreen:
Hey thanks spin.

Trying to think of something that shows the Moog thru some fx... off the top of my head, here's some simple, mellow down tempo with a few twists. Virtually all the synth sounds in this track are made with a Voyager being processed by Biscuit.

Slow Lane

192k mp3 - 10.6 mb - 7:36 mins

If you find this interesting I've got lots of other tracks here:

http://www.zoozither.com/music.htm
zoozither.com

spin

Post by spin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:13 am

ye thanks man, very nice music! :D
How is the distortion on biscuit?

noSpoonMusic

Post by noSpoonMusic » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:42 am

Im looking for pedals that have CV inputs. modulation modulation modulation. I hear great things about the Frostwave stuff, but they are currently out of production. Has anyone heard or played with the Synthmonger Micro Fuzzmonger? Its a fuzz pedal with a CV in.

Hamnet Lenox

Post by Hamnet Lenox » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:33 am

My most important pedal is my distortion, especially when playing live to quickly switch between clean and distorted.

Another important one is a noise suppressor, which eliminates all the hum and fuzzy sounds that occur when you have distortion on, but aren't playing anything. This cleans up your sound and keeps it quiet when you are resting.

As for my favourite, I enjoy my talk box for some songs like Living on a Prayer, Rocky Mountain Way and It's My Life. It's not a really practical pedal because only a few songs use it and you can't sing while using, but it's a ton of fun :)

Hope I helped! :)

metron

Post by metron » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:34 pm

What about delay pedals? I have been looking into delays since the announcement that the 104z is done. Sadly i cant really afford one. What non moog delay pedals are you folks using?
MF102, MF104M, CP251, Minitaur

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:03 pm

I've got the MXR Carbon Copy analog delay. I really like it a lot and recommend it because it's relatively inexpensive and it's analog. The one thing I'm not too fond of is its lack of tap tempo, but I do alright without.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:48 am

metron wrote:What about delay pedals? I have been looking into delays since the announcement that the 104z is done. Sadly i cant really afford one. What non moog delay pedals are you folks using?
Haven't tried it myself, but the Strymon El Capistan gets a lot of raves. Their upcoming TimeLine looks pretty awesome as well.
zoozither.com