racking the fooger collection

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
seank

racking the fooger collection

Post by seank » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:31 am

i'm looking for some tips on rackmounting my moogerfoogers and expanders. i have all 6 foogers, a cp-251, and a vx-351. i've read a bunch of threads and seen some really cool setups (https://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtop ... 156#p74156), but i still have a lot of questions. so here goes:

i would like to incorporate a patchbay. this is the most confusing part for me. which brand/type should i be using? i would like to be able to plug in expression pedals to the patchbay. i would also like to connect my input and output from the setup to the patchbay. i've read that there's a bit of soldering needed to set this up correctly (jumpers and all that). i'm cool with that, but is there a better way to do it?

what size rack will i need for the whole shebang including the patchbay? i've read that an 18-space would do the trick (if i use a patchbay, i will not need access to the rear panels of each pedal). any suggestions for a kick ass rack? it would be amazing if i could bring this setup to shows without having to use a forklift. something like a slim profile rack setup?

i've seen the thread from David Bulog (http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=10750) about the multiple moogerfooger power supply he had produced and i plan on using two of these to power the whole deal.

ok. i think that's all. cable suggestions and anything else you can think of are welcomed!

-sean

David Bulog

Re: racking the fooger collection

Post by David Bulog » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:07 am

first off you will need to get a powersupply made for 6 froggers
have a solution here --suggest you contact HFA
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10750

seank

Post by seank » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:03 pm

here's the custom case i'm having fabricated right now. contacted hfa about a custom power supply to power everything from one plug.

still need some input on patchbays. let a dude know.

seank

Post by seank » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:13 am

anyone make their own trs cables? i've been scouring redco.com all day and it seems to be the way to go especially since i need straight connectors on one side and 90 degree connectors on the other. also, instead of a custom power supply, i'm going with a rackmount power strip. 8 outlets in the back with a switch and surge protection.

as far as patchbays go, i think i've narrowed it down to two: the hosa PHB-350 and the neutrik NYS-SPP-L. anyone have experience with either of these or have a suggestion for a better one?

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:12 pm

That looks very cool !! Let us know how it all works out for you. And photos please.

seank

Post by seank » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:16 pm

another change - going with a voodoo pedal power 2 plus. should save a ton of space and weight. the word on these boards is that they're dead silent with foogers.

still need patchbay info from well informed dudes...

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:52 pm

seank wrote:still need patchbay info from well informed dudes...
Please try a search first, myself (and others) have answered this many times. If you still have specific questions, please sing :) .

seank

Post by seank » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:10 pm

i've been digging through the forums for weeks and there's a lot scattered around, but i just wanted to make sure about a few things. ok, so here goes:

i want to run every single input/output from all 6 foogers into the patchbay (minus the mono audio in/out that chains each pedal together). i would like to be able to plug my input cord into the patchbay, then run the output from the patchbay to my amp. i also need to use two expression pedals with the setup, eventually an mp-201.

do i need to use trs cables for everything including my guitar/synth input/output cables or can i use ts for those?

do i need trs cables for all of the input/output jacks that are chained together?

which inputs/outputs need to be normalled on the patchbay?

which inputs/outputs need a dummy plug?

does the 104z need resistors soldered in between tip and sleeve on certain connections?

i know some of those cv's work a little differently on the midi murf, so is there a different way to get those working with the patchbay?

thank you in advance for any help you can give. the moogertron is insane!

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:10 am

seank wrote:i want to run every single input/output from all 6 foogers into the patchbay (minus the mono audio in/out that chains each pedal together). i would like to be able to plug my input cord into the patchbay, then run the output from the patchbay to my amp. i also need to use two expression pedals with the setup, eventually an mp-201.
That sounds fine, although changing the order of 'foogers is also a very cool thing :)
seank wrote:do i need to use trs cables for everything including my guitar/synth input/output cables or can i use ts for those?
No, TRS cables are only needed for sockets which will accept expression pedals. They are represented by a white block with "black" text. TRS on the rest won't hurt, but it's overkill.
seank wrote:do i need trs cables for all of the input/output jacks that are chained together?
As above, audio in/out are fine on TS cables.
seank wrote:which inputs/outputs need to be normalled on the patchbay?
Quite a few:
latigid on wrote:Here's a list of things you need to normal:

MF102: Carrier Out to Carrier In
MF103: LFO Out to Sweep In (not sweep). So in 12-stage mode, the LFO will still modulate the second six stages by default.
MF105M: Right Out to Left Out, so when bypassed the dry signal is fed to both outputs. However, apparently you can switch a jumper inside on the board to do this as the default. By going the "hack" way, your signal will be louder when bypassed...

You'll also want to split the Tap/Step input with a Y-cable.

MF104Z: This is a tricky one. Without a path to ground, the expression inputs on the 104 go a bit wild, meaning the rate and feedback and mix pots don't work properly. The best way around this is to normal from the tip to ground through a 100k resistor.

I think the MuRFs are the only MFs which use a centred expression pedal sweep. From memory I tried to maintain consistency with the other 'foogers by re-wiring some of the sockets, but it didn't work too well.
seank wrote:which inputs/outputs need a dummy plug?

does the 104z need resistors soldered in between tip and sleeve on certain connections?
You shouldn't need a dummy plug, although you could use one to keep the 104's expression inputs happy. Solder a 100k resistor from tip to sleeve, no cable needs to be attached. Or else, use the normalling contact on the socket to add your pull down resistor.
seank wrote:i know some of those cv's work a little differently on the midi murf, so is there a different way to get those working with the patchbay?
They should work as-is i.e. straight-through TRS cables. The difference will be in the operation of expression pedals relative to the rest of your MFs.
seank wrote:thank you in advance for any help you can give.
You're welcome, hth.
seank wrote:the moogertron is insane!
Thanks, wait for the next one ;)

seank

Post by seank » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:14 am

holy mother of god, that's gonna be amazing!

again, thank you for your help. i really appreciate it.

i'll post pictures when i'm all done.

seank

Post by seank » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:49 am

one question about the resistor: does it need to be on a specific side? like on the patchbay side, or the cv input side?

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:17 am

My delay is a 104 SD, perhaps check out yours to see if you have a problem. Just plug in a TRS cable to, say, "rate" and leave the other end disconnected. See if there's a difference when you unplug it.

If it behaves like mine, the simplest fix would be to make a dummy plug (I guess it's a "dummy load" actually) and insert it into the front panel when no Exp. Pedal (or CV) was being used. I'm not sure on the patch bay you are using, but there may be a "normalled" or "half normalled" configuration that you can use. I believe this will force you to give up one socket on the front though.

seank

Post by seank » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:50 pm

tested my 104z and it reacts the same way as yours. i want to avoid using a dummy plug, so do you recommend a 100k resistor from tip to sleeve on the patchbay side?

also, i couldn't find info on the 105m hack, do you know how this is done?

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:25 pm

Hey, what sort of patch bay do you own?

Do you want to solder directly to the socket? This way you'll save one patch point. Do you know how normally closed switching contacts work?

Not to sure about the 105M audio jumper, I'll have a look at mine tonight.

seank

Post by seank » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:37 pm

it's a neutrik nys-spp-l1. i'd rather mod the cable than the patchbay. i don't really mind losing one patchpoint if it has to be normalled, i should have a few extra, right?