Satin or Semi Gloss Finish for Minimoog????

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
dzlvs8

Satin or Semi Gloss Finish for Minimoog????

Post by dzlvs8 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:59 pm

I am refinishing my minimoog because i bought it when it was half sanded down already (or the finish was half worn off). I bought satin polyeurathane but I am doubting that that was the right choice. After looking at more pictures online, I am thinking that I may be better off with a semi-gloss if I am looking to match the original finish. W

Any opinions - Satin - Semi-Gloss?

Its hard for me to tell since I dont have anything to compare to but pictures of other minimoogs online. FYI - Here is what the color that it is stained. I also have a pic of it not stained after I striped it. It looked beautiful this way. I didn't realize how poor it would look stained. It took major work to get a semi even staining. There is an eye in the wood right in the center on the piece inbetween the keyboard and the control module. Anyway, satin, semi-gloss?

:(

acorkos

Re: Satin or Semi Gloss Finish for Minimoog????

Post by acorkos » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:40 pm

i have 2 model D's...1974 is light-stained, 1978 is dark-stained....neither has much of a shine. but i think i'd pick semi-gloss over satin...you can dull it down with extra fine steel wool or a scotch brite pad if you need to.

dzlvs8

Post by dzlvs8 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:17 pm

Woooooww, those are pretty. I think the satin will look more like an original 1974 finish. Idk. I tested the satin on the bottom of the wood case and it looks great but still, my goal is to make it look like it used to so I want the original finish style. Any more opinions?

MC

Post by MC » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:21 am

My RA Moog model D is satin finish
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

dzlvs8

Post by dzlvs8 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:50 am

Thanks. Im really impatient so I just went ahead and used the satin. Its what I had and I tested it out first and it looked like I would think it should.

It looks great.

Flash on

Flash off

ARP

Post by ARP » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:04 pm

Nice job ! :)
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

till

Post by till » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:38 pm

When I built my new cabinet for my Minimoog in late 1985, I carefully undid the Moog batch between the keys and the panel of the old cabinet. And later I glued it onto the new cabinet. No bends, no cracks. But it took some time to get a sharp knife between the batch and the cabinet.
The finish looks fine !

I used some satin finish based on clear polyurethane for the new beechwood cabinet. The wood got a nice beige with some little orange nuances.

keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

dzlvs8

Post by dzlvs8 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:24 am

That cabinet is nice. Its the same color as my Moog Prodigy.

Here are the before and after pics of the staining and satin finish. I kinda don't like that big eye of the wood right in the center of the mini, it looks nice, but doesn't look mini-ish to me. and I kinda miss the old rugged look.

Serial 5706

Here is what it looked like before

Here is what it looks like refinished and with new keys (note the bottom isn't on it yet). I also am still waiting on my new full set of knobs too.

Thanks for the suggestions and help. Now I just need to find a cover for the overload lamp.