new oberheim 4 voice

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
David Bulog

Re: new oberheim 4 voice

Post by David Bulog » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:12 am

ETA is may/june 2011 and I believe pre-order only--its a heavy beast at around 45 pounds ballpark
I would like to make a prediction --used 4 voice SEMs are very very expensive and
I think this will be come a collectors item and investors will buy these for resale because they know with such a small company only xyz will ever be made so its better than money in the bank

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:33 am

probably you're right,
however i 've already preordered one of these:
http://www.dutchsynth.nl/FenixXL.html
( will be delivered in two seperate cases , also "collectors item", i guess )
production has started, mine will be about autum 2011 ready

timmy

Post by timmy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:52 am

David Bulog wrote:I think the $3495 is fair (possibly underpriced because vintage 4 voices are priced around $50000 on Ebay--four slim phattys would cost the same so there is a choice now
Anyone here have a SEM ?
Thanks in advance
David
i have the Midi and Patch versions of the new SEMs. i purchased them before the "combo" PRO version was released otherwise i would have grabbed 2 of those. to say they were PHAT is an understatement.

[Analogue Solutions makes a version, too, though I have not heard one in person. there are youtubes posted. http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concu ... or/sem.htm]
Go analog: Moog Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Tom Oberheim
Go plastic: Roland, Yamaha, Korg

ARP

Post by ARP » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:48 pm

Kevin Lightner wrote: Moog definitely needs to widen their modular offerings.
Moogerfoogers are cool and very useful, but they're a far cry from anything one can build-up a true modular from.
The XL is so far the closest Moog has come to providing a real-time modular environment that works as a self-contained package.
It makes the Korg MS-20 seem like a joke. (Patching an MS-20 is quite unlike patching a 'real' modular, in my opinion.)
I couldn't agree more, they've come so close, but just won't take the leap :? BTW, that Oberheim is gonna be a monster, I'm definately
close to placing my order.
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:39 pm

I picked up a used SEM (midi version) from one of the members here and have to say, there is nothing like it. I've been lusting after an OB-8 or X or XA for the fact that they offer a good crossover point between trying to buy an original 4 or 8-voice and my current Matrix 6/1000. Am really looking fwd to some demos.

My opinion on the price is that it's just right. Too much for me at moment (kid #1 entering college) but I think it's priced fairly.

And the 'limitations' of the programmer module are not a detriment; it's what we've (collectors) signed up for. This is not a CPU driven collection of curtis chips with software but it does have some rudamentary modern conveniences (like global midi synced LFO), most importantly without losing sight of initial design.

But I also agree that it's a bit of a cult synth (despite the obvious greatness), and will be gobbled up by collectors and likely will have a waiting list that makes the Taurus 3's wait seem like a walk in the park.

I just hope to be able to scoop one up before good ole' Tom closes up shop.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:27 am

This youtube is incredible. the sounds.. are amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeF0i2saxjc

I can definitely get what Kevin is saying, though. Competition for Moog, and although I think usually competition is healthy, most corporate-sponsored forums would probably remove this type stuff (btw Kevin Lightner is credited for restoring that 4 voice in the video).
Minimoog Model D, Roland SH-1, Simmons SDS-8, Rhodes 73 suitcase, Ludwig/Gretsch Drums, Zildjian/Paiste/UFIP cymbals, Various acoustic percussive effects

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:51 pm

apparently in some cases , Moog doesn't
that's Moog.