Can I turn off bank select when switching channels?

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
ark

Can I turn off bank select when switching channels?

Post by ark » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:52 pm

If I'm in Quad mode and I select a channel with one of the footswitches, it appears that the MP-201 always sends a Bank Select LSB message. So far I haven't been able to find out a way of turning this message off. Am I missing something?

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:22 pm

well if you actually want to be sending a program change message, then I think it will always send a bank change message as well. However, if you are only trying to change which channel is active and you don't intend to be sending program changes each time you do this, then yes there's a global option to set this.

Go to the Utilities Menu, Quad Options... look for QUAD PGM CHANGE.
You probably have it set to "Send Per Channel." Change this to "Send All At Once." In the latter mode, Program Change messages only get sent when you change presets on the MP-201, but not when you toggle individual channels on/off.

The "send per channel" function was added at the request of users who wanted to be able to send multiple program changes at will within the same MP-201 preset, but if you're not doing this it's probably best to keep it in the other mode.

Cheers,

Amos

ark

Post by ark » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:26 pm

Amos wrote:well if you actually want to be sending a program change message, then I think it will always send a bank change message as well. However, if you are only trying to change which channel is active and you don't intend to be sending program changes each time you do this, then yes there's a global option to set this.
I would like to suggest that it should really be a channel option.

In other words, just like I can set "Send program change" to "OFF," I should also be able to set "Bank Select" to MSB, LSB, or OFF (and, for that matter, MSB+LSB, so that if I wish I can select a specific patch on another device that requires both MSB and LSB).

My mental model here is that turning a channel off might mean "I want to turn this channel off" or it might mean "I want to stop controlling this channel from the MF-201 but not change anything," and the choice of which mode to use should be part of the individual patch, not a global parameter.

ark

Re: Re:

Post by ark » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:39 pm

Amos wrote:Go to the Utilities Menu, Quad Options... look for QUAD PGM CHANGE.
You probably have it set to "Send Per Channel." Change this to "Send All At Once." In the latter mode, Program Change messages only get sent when you change presets on the MP-201, but not when you toggle individual channels on/off.
I can't find this option. I go to the Utilities Menu, and find Quad Options, but then when I press Enter I get the following sub-options:

QUAD MONO/POLY
QUAD DISPLAY
DEFAULT MODE

Where is QUAD PGM CHANGE?

Amos

Re: Can I turn off bank select when switching channels?

Post by Amos » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:09 pm

sorry, it's on the MIDI SETUP page of UTILITIES; called MULTI PGM CHANGE.
I was writing from memory and forgot where I had put this option.

Try SEND ALL AT ONCE and see if it resolves the problem.
I agree about the bank change MSB/LSB, I will make a note to separate these options in a future firmware update.

Cheers,

Amos

ark

Post by ark » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:14 pm

Amos wrote:sorry, it's on the MIDI SETUP page of UTILITIES; called MULTI PGM CHANGE.
I was writing from memory and forgot where I had put this option.

Try SEND ALL AT ONCE and see if it resolves the problem.
I agree about the bank change MSB/LSB, I will make a note to separate these options in a future firmware update.
It does cause the MP-201 to stop sending the errant bank changes. However, now every time I switch to a different program, it sends bank changes for all four channels :-) That's probably less of a nuisance, but it really should be possible to turn those off entirely.

Any idea when the next firmware update is coming for the MP-201?

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:44 pm

"this year."

:)

sorry I can't be more specific; several projects on the go this year. Further work on the MP201 is definitely on the agenda, though.