Why do Moog make ring modulators?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Headphones

Re: Why do Moog make ring modulators?

Post by Headphones » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:40 pm

wetpenny wrote:MF102 shall be my next `fooger :mrgreen:
It's going to be next on my list as well. I have a Novation X-station VA synth that didn't even have a ring mod feature built in, and I'd love to get this connected to the MF-101 I pick up this tuesday. After that It could be the MF-103, MF-105M, or the MF-107. I figured once I own a majority of the Foogers, and a CP-251, then it's time to get a SP synth to REALLY get a moog modular sound.

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:28 pm

I have trouble justifying a fooger RM. The ring modulation function itself has no tweakable parameters, it just multiplies 2 signals. So what you are playing with is an LFO and audio osc. IMO it's a pretty basic LFO and oscillator - not tempco and few waveforms. I suspect that more sounds are at hand with more featured modules. I would like to see Moog release proper analog modules and let us patch them together. The 102 just seems a bit compromised by pretending to be a stomp box.

I like the 104 and 105 BTW, but the 102 design doesn't do it for me.
I've stopped talking now.

machetemirage

Post by machetemirage » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:59 pm

Has anyone tried outing the carrier osc to the audio input? I'll be sure to find out what happens myself on christmas, but if someone knows, please do tell!

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:30 pm

LivePsy wrote:I have trouble justifying a fooger RM. The ring modulation function itself has no tweakable parameters, it just multiplies 2 signals. So what you are playing with is an LFO and audio osc. IMO it's a pretty basic LFO and oscillator - not tempco and few waveforms. I suspect that more sounds are at hand with more featured modules. I would like to see Moog release proper analog modules and let us patch them together. The 102 just seems a bit compromised by pretending to be a stomp box.

I like the 104 and 105 BTW, but the 102 design doesn't do it for me.
A ring modulator produces sum & difference frequencies between the audio input and a carrier oscillator & its one of the more useful of the 'foogers

I wasn't sure I was making the right choice when I bought mine but was blown away.

& I don't even use it as an extra Osc!
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:43 pm

I don't use mine as an extra osc or a VCA either. I use mine as a stage booster for outer space travels.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Headphones

Post by Headphones » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:46 am

Can't argue with that.

Some Moogerfoogers aren't going to be everybody's cup of tea, but there are 6 to choose from (and some of those are variations of the same 104/105), but the only way to really know is to try the one you're talking about.

moremagic

Post by moremagic » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:00 pm

machetemirage wrote:Has anyone tried outing the carrier osc to the audio input? I'll be sure to find out what happens myself on christmas, but if someone knows, please do tell!
put a delay between them ;)
Electra EP-501, Korg MP-4, Korg PS-6, Moog CP-251, Moog MF-101, Moog MF-102, Moog MF-104Z, Moog MF-107, Yamaha DX7