Slim Phatty OS v3.03

Everything Phatty.
moogmusic
Site Admin

Slim Phatty OS v3.03

Post by moogmusic » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:13 pm

Slim Phatty OS v.03 is now available as a free download. Go to the Software tab on the Slim Phatty page to download...

http://www.moogmusic.com/littlephatty/? ... t_id=21398

OS 3.03 adds enhancements to the arpeggiator, including sending MIDI Clock and the ability to switch on or off the sending of MIDI note data. It also includes 14 bit MIDI implementation and improved MIDI volume CC handling.

Enjoy!

EMwhite

Re: Slim Phatty OS v3.03

Post by EMwhite » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:42 pm

Any info on whether or not this applies to LP's, or in my case, a Tribute with the 2.1T upgrade? I checked the release notes and there is no mention of anything but the Slim?

Thanks.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:57 am

As far as I know, do not load an SP OS onto an LP!!!

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:48 am

This update is definitely for Slim only.

OS 3 for the Little Phatty series (Tribute, Stage, Stage II) is on the way; I've already built and tested a version on my Stage II.
The main obstacle to releasing an OS3 field update for the Little Phatty is that the new code uses a permanent boot-loader (to prevent problems when doing firmware updates), and we need to craft a way for a regular SysEx firmware update to load this new bootloader into a Little Phatty. A "boot loader loader" if you will. We're working on that now and hope to have some good results to share in the near future.

All the best,

Amos

jaahans

Post by jaahans » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:11 pm

Hopefully Moog can sort the issues with Little phatty firmware updates soon, as the issues have been around since May 2009 when 2.2 was first released if I´m not mistaken.. Sure seems like Moog could use more firmware programmers to overcome these challenges quicker.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:15 pm

jaahans wrote:Hopefully Moog can sort the issues with Little phatty firmware updates soon, as the issues have been around since May 2009 when 2.2 was first released if I´m not mistaken.. Sure seems like Moog could use more firmware programmers to overcome these challenges quicker.
I'd offer my services but Donkey Kong is all I am capable of programming and that 2x16 LCD doesn't make for a very good environment though the sound would be awesome!
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:56 am

I started the Slim at version 3.0 because it's the same code base as the Little Phatty, just developed a bit further.
The same code base can now be built for any target -- Tribute, Stage/StageII, or Slim. So any OS updates can be made across the whole range at one go.
As I said, I have this tested and working here at the shop, but in order to do a field update for a Little Phatty running OS 2.2 or older, there's some fancy coding that still needs to be done. Basically we need a sysEx firmware update that "looks" to the old OS like a normal firmware update, but which actually loads the new OS3 bootloader code. Then from the new bootloader, you can update to the new firmware. There are some more technical details to take care of as well but that will be the basic process.

As for what Little Phatty users can expect, off the top of my head:

- full 14-bit MIDI support for all continuous parameters (params with CC numbers in the range 1-31)
- can also turn off all 14-bit output and only send 7-bit data, if you need to
- much faster/smoother handling of incoming Pitch Bend and Filter Cutoff MIDI messages
- option to disable sending CC7 from the volume knob
- knob LEDs now track incoming MIDI even when Local Control is off
- lots of improvements to the arpeggiator:
...scroll through presets while arp is on
...globally change clock source internal/MIDI
...send MIDI Clock at the internal arp rate
...choose how to send MIDI notes while the arp is running: send normal MIDI from the keyboard, send arpeggiated MIDI notes, don't send MIDI notes
...a number of subtle tweaks to arp sync and timing to make it more intuitive and playable.

That's what comes to mind... I don't want to oversell it but it seems like a good update.

David Bulog

Post by David Bulog » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:43 am

Hi Amos
What about the ARP being able to be triggered by the Gate In
as I mentioned many users prefer gate in or trigger in over midi clock?

Thanks David

jgirv

Post by jgirv » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:29 pm

...thanks, Amos. I think I didn't yet upgrade my SE II to the latest OS, because of the fear of lock-ups during the update. I wonder if we'll need to do each update in sequence, or if we can update to 3.x directly from earlier OS versions. In any case, it's wonderful to see the ongoing fleshing-out of the LP, even in the midst of new product roll-outs. best, jgirv

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:59 pm

The SP update and the next OS update for the LP and all future Phatty updates are to use a more robust procedure that is supposed to be near crash proof. That is the main reason the LP update did not come out with the SP.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:11 pm

Amos wrote:{stuff deleted}

That's what comes to mind... I don't want to oversell it but it seems like a good update.
You had me at Tribute...

Thanks brutha.