Everything Phatty.
tagirov

Audio output as CV

Post by tagirov » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi friends!
You should check this tutorial video.
'Using Ableton to provide control voltage for a Moog Slim Phatty'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ4wyz7a27g

That guy uses his audio card's output as CV and it works.

All you need is to route some audio signal to your moog's cv input, no need only Ableton, every other DAW software should work.
The computer audio output's voltage seems to be almost the same. (But try it at your own risk!).

I did some check today with my audio interface and Little Phatty and it works too, even with unbalanced cable.
Even though this type of CV is not 'clean', but there are many interesting possibilites, for example to use drumloop or noize loop as source for filter cv.

The idea is the same as MOTU Volta plugin uses.
Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.

dlearyus

Re: Audio output as CV

Post by dlearyus » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:19 pm

check out Expert Sleepers Silent Way VST CV processors

cheers ;)

DL

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:08 pm

tagirov wrote:
I did some check today with my audio interface and Little Phatty and it works too, even with unbalanced cable.
Even though this type of CV is not 'clean', but there are many interesting possibilites, for example to use drumloop or noize loop as source for filter cv.
I recommend using only unbalanced cables for this patch to avoid anything that may happen from connecting the 5V supply from the LP's jack to the balanced audio out.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

tagirov

Post by tagirov » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:54 am

Useful note about cables from here: http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/siwacompatibility.html

Code: Select all

A Note On Cables
In general special cables are recommended when using a DC-coupled audio interface as a source of CVs. Most audio interfaces have balanced outputs (on TRS ('stereo') jacks or XLRs), while synth CV inputs are unbalanced (usually on TS ('mono') jacks or minijacks). If you use a regular stereo or mono jack lead, you'll be shorting out one of the balanced output signals (usually the R (ring) to the S (shield)). While this probably wouldn't be a problem for normal audio use, when outputting the sustained voltages that are useful as CVs you risk damaging the interface hardware.

The usual recommendation is to make up special cables with a TRS jack at one end and a TS at the other, connecting T->T (tip to tip) and S->S (shield to shield) while leaving the R (ring) floating i.e. unconnected.

An alternative is to wire a TRS jack to two TS jacks, connecting one T->T/S->S and the other R->T/S->S. This then gives you two copies of the output CV, one of them inverted, which is particularly useful from LFOs. Note that this cable configuration is identical to that of a regular "Y" audio insert lead.
I'm gonna try it this weekend, since I have Y-insert cables

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:08 pm

Thanks for the info on the balanced cables for cv, the insert cables sound like they could be a lot of fun.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

tagirov

Post by tagirov » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:40 pm

I've checked the Y-cable, it works great :)

so, simple sine wave soft synth with volume automation or separate notes with differenet volume (=velocity) can act as cv source.
also i've tried drumloops

the first bar was recorded without any cv applied and then you may hear different variations of cv, applied as described above

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12118770/cv_test.mp3

tagirov

Post by tagirov » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:45 pm

Oh yeah, of course this all stuff are for experimenting or getting unusual things from phatty.
I prefer using midi controlled filter (thanx god phatty has midi) or velocity-to-filter feature.
but...