Newbie stumbling in....

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
weemac

Newbie stumbling in....

Post by weemac » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:33 am

Hi All!
My name is Eden ("Like that other disaster" my Dad says)
I've grown up in the Prog era and one of the first albums I was exposed to was The six Wives of you know who, by you know who... :mrgreen:
I'm mainly a string instrument player (the usual suspects) but have always had a fasination with Synthesizers (it also helped when your Mother worked in a music shop)
I can remember mum bringing home a Yamaha CS-01 to tinker with and me trying to get those Oxygene sounds out of it. In hindsight the CS-01s speciality is those ammusing fart noises... :lol:
As I said I'm not really a board player but have collected a few decent and oddball keys over the years from the Stylophone through to a Roland A70..
My favorite by far is my Korg ES-50 which is one of those synths that you won't really understand until you have had your hands on.. The ES-50 is like a sonic orgasm and the backbone of my music...
Whilst I can get my head around programing a digital synth I find it time consuming and hard on the eyes trying to do everything through a tiny screen. Hands on knobs (keep it clean now..) will always get the job done alot faster and to much greater satisfaction. I have had virtual synths and amps etc but it is always easier with some real boards and a handfull of old boss pedals...
I have never had a Moog even though that is usually the sound I have in my head when turning knobs on my other synths. It's time to start saving.
The rebirth of Moog and synths like the LP have made that sound available to the likes of me. I'm in Australia so If I can gather the pennies for the Redback LP or even the SP it should get me started. A theremin will follow too...
So I will be hanging around a bit learning the culture of this forum (all forums have it) and asking some slightly stupid questions to determine which Moog is going to do the job for me.
This looks to be a great forum...

emac.

LivePsy

Re: Newbie stumbling in....

Post by LivePsy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:31 pm

Well, I'm going to say hi!

Having any quirky old keyboard is a plus in my book. Join the fun and you might win lotto one day and actually own a Moog. They sound great and for some reason I end up making sounds which other synths can do but I accidentally stumble across on the Moog. Something inspring about them.

Welcome!
I've stopped talking now.

moogyman

Post by moogyman » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:41 am

weemac wrote:Hi All!
My name is Eden ("Like that other disaster" my Dad says)
I've grown up in the Prog era and one of the first albums I was exposed to was The six Wives of you know who, by you know who... :mrgreen:
I'm mainly a string instrument player (the usual suspects) but have always had a fasination with Synthesizers (it also helped when your Mother worked in a music shop)
I can remember mum bringing home a Yamaha CS-01 to tinker with and me trying to get those Oxygene sounds out of it. In hindsight the CS-01s speciality is those ammusing fart noises... :lol:
As I said I'm not really a board player but have collected a few decent and oddball keys over the years from the Stylophone through to a Roland A70..
My favorite by far is my Korg ES-50 which is one of those synths that you won't really understand until you have had your hands on.. The ES-50 is like a sonic orgasm and the backbone of my music...
Whilst I can get my head around programing a digital synth I find it time consuming and hard on the eyes trying to do everything through a tiny screen. Hands on knobs (keep it clean now..) will always get the job done alot faster and to much greater satisfaction. I have had virtual synths and amps etc but it is always easier with some real boards and a handfull of old boss pedals...
I have never had a Moog even though that is usually the sound I have in my head when turning knobs on my other synths. It's time to start saving.
The rebirth of Moog and synths like the LP have made that sound available to the likes of me. I'm in Australia so If I can gather the pennies for the Redback LP or even the SP it should get me started. A theremin will follow too...
So I will be hanging around a bit learning the culture of this forum (all forums have it) and asking some slightly stupid questions to determine which Moog is going to do the job for me.
This looks to be a great forum...

emac.
I started with a theremin. Then the LP Stage One. Then the Minimoog Voyager. A fun progression mate!
Moogyman :lol:

Mandatory Cape Law: All keyboardists playing more than 4 keyboards at a gig must wear a cape. Unless one keyboard is a mellotron, then the keyboardist must wear a cape regardless of number.

jamezdd73

Post by jamezdd73 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:28 am

Greetings from one Australian to another!
I own a Moog Stage II which I purchased new from Awave, who are Australia's primary Moog distributors.
Can't recommend it enough, I've pulled many a mean solo on it. Add a bit of delay to the mix and we'll be going back to "hands on knobs" references.
Little Phatty Stage II #3602, MoogerFooger CP-251 #1785
MF-103 12 Stage Phaser #6093, MF-104m Analog Delay #0301
--
My band: www.facebook.com/InstantMorning

cageswood

Post by cageswood » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:48 am

I'm in Ballarat,and have a glorious Select Mahogany with the CP bundle which i bought from Awave as well :)

weemac

Post by weemac » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:20 am

I think a Stage II or a Redback might be the way to go.
The layout on the LP makes a lot of sense to me so I'm going to start saving and sell some stuff.

Eden.

moogyman

Post by moogyman » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:29 am

weemac wrote:I think a Stage II or a Redback might be the way to go.
The layout on the LP makes a lot of sense to me so I'm going to start saving and sell some stuff.

Eden.
I'd get the redback, it has expanded patching capacity. In time you'll be glad you got one........
Moogyman :lol:

Mandatory Cape Law: All keyboardists playing more than 4 keyboards at a gig must wear a cape. Unless one keyboard is a mellotron, then the keyboardist must wear a cape regardless of number.

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:34 pm

Hmmm.. All 4 knobs to tweak? Think big, think Voyager.
I've stopped talking now.

weemac

Post by weemac » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:32 pm

LivePsy wrote:Hmmm.. All 4 knobs to tweak? Think big, think Voyager.
It must be said that I don't believe that there has ever been a nicer looking synth than a Voyager and they do have a better set of keys and all, but is there that much difference in the tone and ultimate functionality between the Voyager and the LP?

The voyager is the Holy Grail (unless you include the model D of course) but for one who is actually not a great board player (I usually play things with strings) The LP will have to suffice.

emac.