New Moog Voyager in the house!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
TheRocco

New Moog Voyager in the house!

Post by TheRocco » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:26 pm

After many months of planning and drooling, my new Moog Voyager is finally home! I joined this Moog Music Forum way back in March (I believe) and decided then on the Voyager but it took many more months to get all my ducks in a row (i. e. the money).

I got a brand new Select Series with Electric Blue backlight and Mahogany cabinet. It's got the 3.5 updates already installed (thanks, Sweetwater), updated Manual, and bonus CD.

Here are some of the required pictures:

I'm not sure how the Voyager will inspire my music but I'm looking forward to the experimentation and surprise! Lately I've been playing a lot of blues guitar, but a few years back devoted most of my time to composing, using MIDI keyboards and software synths. The music was my own version of the 20th Century Avant-Garde that I like (Stockhausen, Ligeti, Boulez, Morton Feldman etc.). After several years of doing that I was ready for the Blues!

I'm looking forward to getting inspired again to compose more of that, but this time I have "real" knobs to twist, thanks to the Voyager! If anyone here is interested in hearing some of my older music prior to the Voyager, here's a link:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6427460
"Game Theory--The New Syntax"

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6427425
"Fuzzy Dice"

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6427504
"Concerto for Piano, Electronic Tape, and Orchestra"

Anyway, I'll try to post of new clips soon using the Voyager. Thanks to all here who helped me make the Voyager decision!

Fordy

Re: New Moog Voyager in the house!

Post by Fordy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:14 pm

Congratulations! I have literally just taken delivery of one myself a few hours again and can't wait to get home and give it a run through but tell me, whats with the sine wave on the touch pad? Is that something you have overlaid on the touch pad? Looks cool whatever it is.
Kind Regards

-Fordy

Gear: Nord Wave, Access Virus TI 2 Keyboard, Moog Voyager Select, Korg Radias, Novation Supernova II, Quasimidi Polymorph, Korg Electribe SX, Eminent 310U,

FX: EH Stereo Small Stone Phaser, EH Stereo Electric Mistress, Lex MX400.

tHEbUZZ

Post by tHEbUZZ » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:48 am

How did you get that waveform in the touch pad? is this a new feature? If so any upgrades possible for existing owners?

Cheers
Everybody knows that's what aliens sound like - Dr. Bob Moog

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:32 am

Wow, what an idea !! How about Moog making an optional oscilloscope available in place of the touchpad ? Talk about entertainment value (for the player, not the audience); replace the panel with a 6" diaganal flatscreen. (factory upgrade only, of course).

Make it happen and the next person that wants to trade me for my VOS gets it. Embedded o-scope, now that's Old School!
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

ARP

Post by ARP » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:38 am

That would be a cool option for voyager owners !
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

tHEbUZZ

Post by tHEbUZZ » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:04 pm

So it a photoshop after all?

@EMwhite (factory upgrade only, of course) would prefer doing it myself though, no way I'm shipping my voyager back to the US...

Cheers
Everybody knows that's what aliens sound like - Dr. Bob Moog

TheRocco

Post by TheRocco » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:16 pm

Yes, I just "personalized" the touch pad a bit with an overlay. A piece of paper that lays inside the panel by itself that I can remove to use. I also put a little picture of an old logo on the left side of the menu screen--Mr. Tubey. He's inside a vacuum tube with the atomic graphic symbol in orbit around him. My new Moog Voyager is right at home in my "mad scientist" home studio.

I was inspired by this picture:

I must admit, I don't know what I am doing regarding programing this instrument! I am at the beginning of a very interesting journey!