Problems with homerecording...

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
beaglehq

Problems with homerecording...

Post by beaglehq » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:53 pm

I'm having trouble recording with my Etherwave Theremin. I'm recording onto my computer through a Eurorack UB802 4-Track mixer. The mixer is hooked to a separate receiver, which can function like an amp. The problem I'm having with my Theremin is when I plug it directly into the mixer I'm getting a sort of static buzz. I can record a sample of what this sounds like if anyone needs it.

I'm not having this problem when I hook up the Theremin to a regular guitar amp. Does anyone know why the mixer is picking up this extra buzz? Is there an adapter or method I should use so I could record without this nuissance? Any ideas are welcomed and will be tried.

Thank you

bblumenthal

Re: Problems with homerecording...

Post by bblumenthal » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:31 pm

Mr. Beagle,

It sounds to me like a ground problem. The Etherwave, as it states in the manual, is pretty finicky re/ grounding which is the reason the power supply has a three-pronged plug. The Behringer products, w/out starting a whole flame war, are simply not professional equipment by any stretch of the imagination, and are probably the source of the problem. Guitar amps are typically designed w/ decent shielding and ground paths because of their intended usage. Try plugging your theremin into the Behringer and listening via headphones plugged into the mixer's headphone jack w/out any other components connected. If that sounds OK, then take the output from the mixer into your computer and record a short signal. Play it back over your system from your computer and see if you got a clean signal w/out the ground hum. Make sure you have all of the connected equipment plugged into the same circuit. Check your cables to make sure all of them have good continuity in both connectors and the shield. Some specialty cables have the shield only connected on one end; if you happen to have one of these cables, connect the end w/ the shield connected to the source component, and the other end to the destination component.

What sound card are you using? If you can run your theremin directly into your soundcard w/out using the Behringer at all, you'll be better off.

Just a few thoughts, anyway. Hope some of it helps.

beaglehq wrote:I'm having trouble recording with my Etherwave Theremin. I'm recording onto my computer through a Eurorack UB802 4-Track mixer. The mixer is hooked to a separate receiver, which can function like an amp. The problem I'm having with my Theremin is when I plug it directly into the mixer I'm getting a sort of static buzz. I can record a sample of what this sounds like if anyone needs it.

I'm not having this problem when I hook up the Theremin to a regular guitar amp. Does anyone know why the mixer is picking up this extra buzz? Is there an adapter or method I should use so I could record without this nuissance? Any ideas are welcomed and will be tried.

Thank you

beaglehq

Post by beaglehq » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:59 am

Hello bblumenthal,

thanks for your advice. My computer is using an M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/A ... -main.html). I'm using the RCA jacks out from the behringer mixer straight into the sound card. The RCA jacks are thick and professional looking and came with the card. The headphone jack on the mixer is connected to a receiver which functions as a monitor to everything. (A fun little homemade system).

I had tried a number of things after my original post. I think the next thing I will try is plugging the theremin directly into the line-in of my computer. I had also hooked up my Tascam 4 track tape recorder to the theremin in place of the mixer and received the same effect. I wasn't able to record to tape without getting the ground-buzz.

Would the surge protectors have anything to do with it? Or the fact that I have my whole mass computer system/sound system plugged into the two protectors?

I had debated making a battery system for the theremin, but after reading the procedures I'm not ready to yet.

Thanks again.

beaglehq

Post by beaglehq » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:26 am

Hello again!

I solved the problem, but I wanted to double check with the professionals to be sure that I'm not doing something that would terribly damage my Theremin. The problem I had was that my sound recording system was picking up on the Theremin's grounding sound, making an annoying background buzz. I added one of these:
to the Theremin plug, which converts the three-pronged plug into a two prong.

Will using this cause any damage? I've read of the extensive necessity of having the Theremin grounded, so will taking this factor out do anything?

Hutschi

Post by Hutschi » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:44 am

Hi,

in the German version, they delivered a two-pronged plug power supply, and for the amplifier, they delivered a special changer from three to two plug.

The form of our three-plugged power supply is different, and we have 230 V power.

I did not hear any buzz, when I'm standing near the theremin. When I go some steps away, it starts buzzing, depending on distance.

I think, the whole is a special difficult system of waves.

But - we have a two-pronged power supply, and it works on mine.

If the problem is harder, you can try a potential isolation with a special amplifier. Using such a device with optoelectronic, I could remove the buzz noice completely between my computer and a record player.

beaglehq

Post by beaglehq » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:26 pm

Thanks for your input. I have been using this two-pronged adapter for a little over a month now and have not had any problems grounding out anymore! woo!