Need Advice for my Theremin Case Finish

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
Margo

Need Advice for my Theremin Case Finish

Post by Margo » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:23 am

I got a Theremin Kit for Christmas, and I have most of the electronics ready. My problem is the case, I have asked a friend that does wood working to help me finish the case, but we are running into problems. I really would like it to have a wood stain and a clear coat finish, like a furniture finish. We have been looking high and low for a non-conductive brand in a stain and finish without any luck, even the store clerks do not know how to advise me.

Advice needed,

Margo

cake

Post by cake » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:07 am

You should look for an alcohol based wood stain. they come in some amazing colors. You might have to look into a commerical store to get the stuff. For the clear coat, i would recommend marine grade polyurethane. If you use three or four coats of the polyurethane, sanding in between dried coats with a high grade sandpaper, you should be able to get a nice furniture finish.

-a

Hutschi

Post by Hutschi » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:34 am

Hi, I had the same problem and used water tint (Holzbeize) - the problem was: you need a lot of time, until it is dry. In the mean time the theremin does not work.

Now I ordered shellack (shellac). This is a very fine color, used for old furniture - I suppose the loveliest finish on market.
First, I will try it on a peace of wood, because the color needs a lot of work and feeling.

But I think, it is one of the best things available on the market. It is alcohol based. You can find a lot of pages in the internet for more information.

best regards

bernd