keyboard / MIDI controller for SP

Everything Phatty.
circusmusician

keyboard / MIDI controller for SP

Post by circusmusician » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:33 pm

I just purchased my first synth the SP and am looking for a 61 key keyboard to use with it. Any recommendations?

EMwhite

Re: keyboard / MIDI controller for SP

Post by EMwhite » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:18 pm

Novation 61SL MK2 hands down.

WIll cost a bit more than the Akai crap but makes up for it in feel (Fatar keybed) and configurability. Don't bother with the AutoMap however interesting and powerful, the keyboard is intended to be played (religious discussion about stick vs. wheels not withstanding).

I have a 61 key M-Audio keystation also and recently bought the Roland A-800 Pro but just couldn't get into the feel (keys seemed to stubby and aftertouch (not necessarily important for the LP/SP unless remapped) just too tight. (I subsequently returned it).

But it (the Novation) from a place you can return it to like (gasp) Guitar Center and if you don't like it, no harm no risk. Have it shipped to the store near you so you can avoid shipping issues. Best way to fly. (having said that, I bought my Novation from NovaMusik because as far as I'm concerned they are the best price wise, service, etc.).
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

shigglyboo

Post by shigglyboo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:36 pm

I like Novation, but EMU also makes keyboard controllers that are very solid, may not have as many sliders/faders, but at $250 these rule (I have the smaller one, and it's incredibly sturdy, moreso than my Novation X-station.

http://www.frontendaudio.com/ProductDet ... lick=18920

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:54 pm

I just picked up a M-Audio Axiom49 MKII, Contrary to M-Audio's reputation for less than awesome build quality/bad keys, I am absolutely loving it and think it will be a great fit when my SP comes in.
www.ctrlshft.com

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:01 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:I just picked up a M-Audio Axiom49 MKII, Contrary to M-Audio's reputation for less than awesome build quality/bad keys, I am absolutely loving it and think it will be a great fit when my SP comes in.
I have the original version axiom 49, and though I don't use it for my RME, I do use it for my Nord Lead and any VST I want to use.... I'm also not a huge fan of m-audio, but I couldn't recommend the Axiom's or the Trigger Fingers to people more... They are great.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

circusmusician

Post by circusmusician » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:08 am

Thanks for all the info, though now I have more questions, excuse my ignorance.
All the keyboard controllers ive looked at have faders and pads, can I actually use these functions live with the SP?

Thanks
Colin

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:21 am

circusmusician wrote:Thanks for all the info, though now I have more questions, excuse my ignorance.
All the keyboard controllers ive looked at have faders and pads, can I actually use these functions live with the SP?

Thanks
Colin
Generally everything is CC Assignable on MIDI controllers, so yes is the answer in most cases. As to whether you'll find a ton of use for those is questionable since the SP/LP are very well laid out. The availability of pot mapping on them makes it doubly-so. It'd be cool to try out sliders instead of knobs on the LP/SP though. :)
www.ctrlshft.com

jaahans

Post by jaahans » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:17 pm

Does anyone know of a midi keyboard that would be the same width as SP and otherwise minimalistic in design?

I hope someone (maybe Moog?) would release a midi keyboard that would fit perfectly under slim phatty.. maybe even lock into the front of it somehow. Would make a great looking synth with keyboard and be smaller than Little phatty.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:34 pm

jaahans wrote:Does anyone know of a midi keyboard that would be the same width as SP and otherwise minimalistic in design?

I hope someone (maybe Moog?) would release a midi keyboard that would fit perfectly under slim phatty.. maybe even lock into the front of it somehow. Would make a great looking synth with keyboard and be smaller than Little phatty.
I'm thinking a Korg Microkey 37 would get the job done quite handily. I have one on pre-order for the time being. Only downside there though is that it is USB MIDI so you'd need a computer to use it with.
www.ctrlshft.com

circusmusician

USB midi controller

Post by circusmusician » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:48 pm

Does it make any difference if you plug in a keyboard to the the SP thru the USB instead of midi? Im probably not going to be using pads or sliders, ive been told the SP is set up very well so that I probably wouldn't want to.

CTRLSHFT

Re: USB midi controller

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:23 am

circusmusician wrote:Does it make any difference if you plug in a keyboard to the the SP thru the USB instead of midi? Im probably not going to be using pads or sliders, ive been told the SP is set up very well so that I probably wouldn't want to.
USB MIDI requires a computer to interface with.
www.ctrlshft.com

anoteoftruth

Re: USB midi controller

Post by anoteoftruth » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:43 am

circusmusician wrote:Does it make any difference if you plug in a keyboard to the the SP thru the USB instead of midi? Im probably not going to be using pads or sliders, ive been told the SP is set up very well so that I probably wouldn't want to.

Using the pads and sliders for the SP, sure, sounds kind of redundant... but think of what u can do with them with your DAW or software / VST's you use on your computer. The good thing about a decent controller with more options is just that... it gives u more options, in the future, and more ability to use it in a multitude of platforms and applications. The price different between something basic and something like a axiom with many more options to it is astonishingly close.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:23 am

A midi controller with knobs, sliders, and pads will be very useful with the SP. I am having a blast using a keyless knob, slider, pad controller to open up my LP. Having the menu controlled functions available without taking the dive is a great plus. You can go knob per function on the front panel if you want, though I find the knobs very quick to switch between and rarely have the need to turn 2 front panel parameters in the same section at the same time (filter and res excluded). I really enjoy being able to jump mod sources and desinations without cycling, probably the most important use of programmed pads/button to me.