Moog Slim Phatty

Everything Phatty.
HowardJones

Re: Moog Slim Phatty

Post by HowardJones » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:47 pm

poladark wrote:As far as i know, the new moog little phatty control voltage input is still not 1v/Oct and the gate input only accepts s-trigger.
From page 20 of the manual:
The KB Gate Input accepts a footswitch (a momentary, normally-closed footswitch like the
Moog FS-1) or a +5 Volt Gate Signal.

Looks like you can get by without an S-Trig for gating, although my other modulars don't need 5v to gate them, usually about 1.5v gets the job done.

From page 15 of the manual:
The FILTER jack on the back panel is a CV input for external control of the filter cutoff parameter. The jack
accepts -5 to +5 volts, or an expression pedal like the EP-2. A voltage applied to this jack is added to the
setting of the filter cutoff control. A one-volt change in the control voltage will change the cutoff frequency
of the filter by about one octave.

Note: "about" one octave, which doesn't sound like 1v/Octave does it. The manual avoids mentioning anything about whether osc pitch is controlled by 1v/Octave :-(
Two Slim Phatties 313 and 354- DSI Tetra - DotCom System - Korg Poly 800 - Yamaha DX27 & RS7000 + Matching Moog Pocket Protectors

poladark

Post by poladark » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:06 pm

HowardJones wrote:Looks like you can get by without an S-Trig for gating, although my other modulars don't need 5v to gate them, usually about 1.5v gets the job done.
That's what it says in the LP keyboard manual as well though. I have eurorack modules that put out 5v gate and none of them work on the LP keyboard gate input :(

I'd definitively buy a slim phatty module if they fix these things and add CV outputs. If they added front panel controls for arpeggiator, filter poles and the noise generator I'd probably be even more positive.

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:47 pm

If anyone from MoogMusic is reading this... I have a suggestion for a video/demo for the SP

A lot of us, including myself, are excited about the SP because of what it can do for our polyphony situations.

For me the biggest appeal of the SP is that I can polychain 4 of them together... but not having seen anyone do this, or seeing how smoothly it would work, how exactly it would work, it makes me just a little bit skeptical about how smooth it would be in comparison to another dedicated polyphonic analog synth.

I think it'd be wicked if Moog made a video demo of polychaining 3-4 SP's together and showing us how it can all work together with polyphony... I think it would do wonders to promote the SP to users like myself that see a huge possibility to quench our thirst for polyphony.

My 2 cents.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:47 pm

funnily enough I just had four Slims poly-chained together on my workbench just today! First time I'd had that many in one place, and enough cables to hook 'em up. :) It was pretty cool. We will definitely do a demo video of this as soon as we can, although we're so busy right now ramping up production and getting ready for Moogfest that it might take a few weeks. I can tell you though, it's definitely possible...

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:16 pm

Amos wrote:funnily enough I just had four Slims poly-chained together on my workbench just today! First time I'd had that many in one place, and enough cables to hook 'em up. :) It was pretty cool. We will definitely do a demo video of this as soon as we can, although we're so busy right now ramping up production and getting ready for Moogfest that it might take a few weeks. I can tell you though, it's definitely possible...

Well this is very good news for me! You got me excited.. can't wait to see the demo's! Thanks for the reply
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

smut

Post by smut » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:03 am

anoteoftruth wrote:
Amos wrote:funnily enough I just had four Slims poly-chained together on my workbench just today!...We will definitely do a demo video of this as soon as we can...
Well this is very good news for me! You got me excited.. can't wait to see the demo's! Thanks for the reply
for me too, thanks.

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:29 pm

poladark wrote:
CRJ wrote:what problems are you talking about? im curious
As far as i know, the new moog little phatty control voltage input is still not 1v/Oct and the gate input only accepts s-trigger. This makes it pretty useless for integrating with pretty much any analogue modular synth setup on the market. I'm not sure whether they're flaws or just very bizarre design decisions.
I think I read somewhere on this forum that the phatty tracks at slightly less than 1v/oct (.98v/oct?) and that one can use an external pot to calibrate the pitch tracking. Also I think there's a trim pot on the inside of the phatty which adjusts the tracking. And patching the lfo from my mf 102 to the gate works, so +5v at the tip should work.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

poladark

Post by poladark » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:03 am

Thanks jeepo.
jeepo wrote:I think I read somewhere on this forum that the phatty tracks at slightly less than 1v/oct (.98v/oct?) and that one can use an external pot to calibrate the pitch tracking.
If anyone has detailed instructions on how to do make the external CV input track with 1v/oct it would make my life easier. I'm fairly confident with a soldering iron but my time is limited.
jeepo wrote:And patching the lfo from my mf 102 to the gate works, so +5v at the tip should work.
...and yet - it doesn't work with my MFB sequencer or my Doepfer modules that output +5v. The solution to this is to build a simple s-trigger conversion cable with a transistor and a resistor.

If Moog doesn't plan on fixing these things, i'd be happy if they could put these kinds of workarounds in the manual or on the web page rather than just leaving the buyers to fend for themselves.

Moogtard

Post by Moogtard » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:51 pm

I just pre-ordered one with NovaMusik. Bam!

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:12 pm

Sweetwater gave me an ETA of 2 weeks. Can't wait for 4 osc LP time! :twisted:
www.ctrlshft.com

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:31 pm

ARP wrote:A four voice Poly Moog ?

This is exactly what I had in mind... and what makes me excited about the SP... can't wait for that poly demo Amos mentioned.

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:32 pm

Btw does anyone know how many rack units these things will take up? I'm guessing 3 ish?

smut

Post by smut » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:58 am

anoteoftruth wrote:
This is exactly what I had in mind... and what makes me excited about the SP... can't wait for that poly demo Amos mentioned.
Didn`t you forget something? How will you merge the Voices?
Last edited by smut on Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:26 am

poladark wrote:Thanks jeepo.
jeepo wrote:I think I read somewhere on this forum that the phatty tracks at slightly less than 1v/oct (.98v/oct?) and that one can use an external pot to calibrate the pitch tracking.
If anyone has detailed instructions on how to do make the external CV input track with 1v/oct it would make my life easier. I'm fairly confident with a soldering iron but my time is limited.
Contact moog support via email (phone if the wait is too long). I think I remember somewhere reading that it was possible. I don't remember the details: if they got it done as a custom mod at the factory or if they were given instructions and performed it themself. It could have been a different mod and I'm not remembering the details correct, but I'm pretty sure (not sure if it took away another feature like autotune or limited the tracking range though).

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:44 pm

smut wrote:
anoteoftruth wrote:
Didn`t you forget something? How will you merge the Voices?

What do you mean? I don't see any issue with that at all.

You can polychain them and use note selection like with the LP.. so you could play chords etc..

if you mean getting the audio "merged" or mixed together, thats easy... there are a few ways you could do it...
if you wanted you could put the audio out into the audio in's of each one, chaining the audio together and just using the last audio out at the end of the change...

Or most likely what I'll do because I have a lot of empty spaces in my mixer right now, is just have all of the audio outs going to their own channel in the mixer.. Then organize it however I want in my DAW.