Moog Slim Phatty

Everything Phatty.
Krinor

Re: Moog Slim Phatty

Post by Krinor » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:32 am

Now all we need to make this weekend perfect are a few pictures of the Slim Phatty with the wooden end cheeks. :D

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:47 pm

"A new Tuning Scale feature and editor allows easy exploration of alternate scales and tunings. Microtonal, just intonation, quarter-tone, world music scales and more make the Slim Phatty an international traveler."

Does the little phatty have this now too?
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

Xenollop

Post by Xenollop » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:15 pm

@ DomKane, I'm a sound designer myself, with the Tribute being my most invaluable creative tool...you certainly have a sweet gig with Moog! I didn't think sound designing could get more "dreamy" but I guess it can!!
Little Phatty Tribute #525, MF-102, MF-105, APC40, LPD8, Ibanez SR3000E Bass

Glydez

Post by Glydez » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:50 pm

This may sound like a silly question.

But is this simply the little phatty module, as in besides the lack of keyboard there is no difference to the little phatty?

Or are there new features? If so, would someone care to share? (:

DomKane

Post by DomKane » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Xenollop wrote:@ DomKane, I'm a sound designer myself, with the Tribute being my most invaluable creative tool...you certainly have a sweet gig with Moog! I didn't think sound designing could get more "dreamy" but I guess it can!!
Haha, yeah definitely one happy nerd here living a childhood dream :)
Dom Kane
DJ | Producer | Engineer
Sound designer for Moog (Little Phatty + Slim Phatty), FXpansion (D-CAM), Steve Duda & Deadmau5 (Nerve)
http://www.facebook.com/domkane

Colonel Monk

Post by Colonel Monk » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:15 pm

Man you guys, this is just giving me a "phatty".

I don't use my LP as much because as a bass player I'm already hauling around way too much gear. There's no room on stage for Me, basses, amps, effects, and the Phatty.

I have wanted this from the beginning, and in a few weeks I'm going to have a Stage 1 upgraded to the Stage II and I think it will be for sale! I would like to see the CV out option offered though...

Run it with my feet, run it with MP201, run it with sequencer - I'm in heaven.

Dealers don't make as much as you think on Moog stuff. You likely won't see the price anywhere near 600 unless it's stolen!

Kudos to Moog, you all said you wanted a phatty rack and now you have it. Some are hypercritical but I just think they keep hitting solid home runs.

Peace,

CM
Colonel Monk

Slim Phatty, Foogertron 7000: Low Pass, Ring Mod, Phaser, 104z Delay, ClusterFlux, Bass MuRF, FreqBox, CP-251
2X Mother 32, Minitaur

bhrama

Post by bhrama » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:10 pm

Would one be able to chain this with a Voyager? Would the arp work with/slave the Voyager? 4 voiced "Phat Voyage" :lol:
P6, Tempest, Sub37

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:39 pm

bhrama wrote:Would one be able to chain this with a Voyager? Would the arp work with/slave the Voyager? 4 voiced "Phat Voyage" :lol:
Dunno about the polychain business (I hear it is in the manual somewhere though) but the Arp feature works great for controlling other synths.
www.ctrlshft.com

Raaku

Post by Raaku » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:54 am

A lot of people complained about the voyager xl and thought that Moog Music would concentrate on more expensive produts from now on, but now with this I'm happy see that they were wrong.

If I can get the money I'll have to consider upgrading my LP II to duofonic sweetness with one of these :D

Krinor

Post by Krinor » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:02 am

Raaku wrote:A lot of people complained about the voyager xl and thought that Moog Music would concentrate on more expensive produts from now on, but now with this I'm happy see that they were wrong.

If I can get the money I'll have to consider upgrading my LP II to duofonic sweetness with one of these :D
Same here.
Duophonic is within reach and I can see a very nice 4 voice LP materializing in my studio in the near future. That's a polymoog at about the price of a Voyager... :D

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:17 am

Glydez wrote:This may sound like a silly question.

But is this simply the little phatty module, as in besides the lack of keyboard there is no difference to the little phatty?

Not sure anybody answered your question so here is my amateur response.

I haven't had a play with the new Phatty but will do in about two week when I go to Moogfest (at least I hope they'll have them available to play).

To answer your question, the big and obvious difference is that it's (as you said) a Little Phatty minus the LHC (pitch/mod wheel) and minus keyboard but with added Midi thru port. What's not obvious (unless you look at the manual and are familiar with the current LP functions/menus is also a new code release that offers the following (all of which I hope will be available for LPs):

- different buttons which are spaced /clustered a bit differently and seem more tactile to make it [as marketing suggests] more tweakable for those that want to play it as a tweak box rather than a keyboard. Accompanying this is a software feature to either have momentary or latch on a given midi note and this can be used either as a solid tone or as driven by the ARP. (you can achieve the same effect on an LP by using a footswitch latched)

- added menu functions for Tuning scale which allows for tuning outside of the typical Western scale. Hints of a software compliment for this function coming soon (Windows/Mac tuning editor) so get ready to play a sitar across only the white keys, etc.

- headphone volume which changes volume in relation to the output volume (not sure if this is applicable to LP as the headphone amp circuit might be hardwired) [I think it was a mistake to put the headphone jack in the back, however]

- the arpeggiator seems to be the same in function but I'm betting that the code base was taken from the work that Moog put into the Taurus III which was much more reliable, playable. I didn't see any transpose option (as exists on the T3's) but it will likely come in future once Moog has worked out how to best integrate it into the available controls without making it too confusing for the novice (on the T3 you can get yourself into a bind by stepping on the incorrect sequence of buttons/pedals). Am guessing this will come in an interim release so the slightly more hardcore of us can gain access to the feature through a button or control that is unlabeled.

- otherwise, it's a 17" wide unit that has available rack ears for 19" rack, and will shortly have a 'handsome' wood frame (my words). Based on the verbiage, it will not merely wood end cheeks but rather a 4 sided enclosure for what they call the 'custom vibe'. Sure to be nice.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

frestrobbe

Post by frestrobbe » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:45 am

nice to see moog made a rack version of the LP, I'll have one, maybe two or even three :-)
Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue, Etherwave plus, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, VX-351, CP-251

CRJ

Post by CRJ » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:58 pm

poladark wrote:I think that the new model might appeal to a lot of people. The addition of a MIDI Thru port is nice and decreased weight is a godsent too.

I'm not getting one personally though. The same problems i have with my keyboard little phatty remain on this model and i'd rather concentrate on my other analogue gear. I'd be more interested if a model was released that improved on the original more.

If i didn't have an LP keyboard already, i'd definitely buy one though...
what problems are you talking about? im curious

CRJ

Post by CRJ » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:59 pm

Glydez wrote:This may sound like a silly question.

im curious also. what exactly is the difference between this and my LP2? besides the lack of a keyboard obviously. does it have anything new? does it have new presets? just curious.

poladark

Post by poladark » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:12 pm

CRJ wrote:what problems are you talking about? im curious
As far as i know, the new moog little phatty control voltage input is still not 1v/Oct and the gate input only accepts s-trigger. This makes it pretty useless for integrating with pretty much any analogue modular synth setup on the market. I'm not sure whether they're flaws or just very bizarre design decisions.