Moog iPhone app

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Veeger

Re: Moog iPhone app

Post by Veeger » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:44 pm

It might get those confounded pocket witches buying real analogue. :D

And that's a good thing.

gmcerveny

Post by gmcerveny » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:33 pm

Sign me up for an iOS editor for my mp-201 or phatty. I'd love to edit presets on my iPad.
LP Stage II w/ CV mod, MF-101, MF-102, MF-104, MF-107, EP-2, MP-201, CP-251

timmy

Post by timmy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:38 pm

is this a real Moog branded app?
Go analog: Moog Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Tom Oberheim
Go plastic: Roland, Yamaha, Korg

Veeger

Post by Veeger » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:33 pm

timmy wrote:is this a real Moog branded app?

looks like phatty control - but then there's some minimoog inspired stuff on there too...

could be real.
Last edited by Veeger on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veeger

Post by Veeger » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:36 pm

dada wrote:
Veeger wrote:It might get those confounded pocket witches buying real analogue. :D

And that's a good thing.
Or it might send the message that there's nothing unique about Moog in hardware and that Moog in software is just as good ... cripes, it might even turn out to be true then we'll be truly fuc__ :lol:
uh, no. there will always be the moment someone hears an analogue synth for real, not the clones we all know. at that moment, digital is seen for what it is.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:25 am

gmcerveny wrote:Sign me up for an iOS editor for my mp-201 or phatty. I'd love to edit presets on my iPad.

WiFi?

gmcerveny

Post by gmcerveny » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:57 am

latigid on wrote:
gmcerveny wrote:Sign me up for an iOS editor for my mp-201 or phatty. I'd love to edit presets on my iPad.

WiFi?
Sure, or 30pin to midi via 3rd party, or 30pin to USB via custom hardware.
LP Stage II w/ CV mod, MF-101, MF-102, MF-104, MF-107, EP-2, MP-201, CP-251

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:02 am

I think this is great. Moog are doing the right thing by expanding their products and audience. It WILL be high quality with the Moog feel whatever they make imo. The sound will be digital, but then digital can sound great too. Im sure Moog will never stop making analogue so whats the problem? If this helps them fund more amazing sounding analogue products then this is great news too.

Hats off to them.

And the slim phatty looks great, and im glad theyre taking their time to get the poly just right..

Top work Moog, 8)
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

narrowcaster

Post by narrowcaster » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:32 pm

One thing that makes sense about this (if it's real) -- Bob Moog was always interested in new formats/interfaces for humans to interact with electronic instruments. For me, the iPodTouch/iPhone/iPad way of doing things is very involving and "human" feeling -- I spend way more time with my little Touch apps than is probably warranted by their sound or power, just because some of them are so fun to use. So if Moog wants to continue the legacy of exploring the human/machine interface in all forms, doing something for that platform might be a good fit. It would also be a populist sort of move, which again sits well with the Moog legacy IMO.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:23 pm

Looking forward to this app. I hope the price is reasonable. Could this interface somehow with the Voyager's mix input?
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

museslave

Post by museslave » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:39 pm

goldphinga wrote:I think this is great. Moog are doing the right thing by expanding their products and audience. It WILL be high quality with the Moog feel whatever they make imo.
The problem is that if the company which manufactures your precision musical equipment starts catering to the specifically-consumer market, they discover that that is where the money is, and not going to great effort and expense to make a product which only appeals to a small demographic. There comes a time when they start to weigh the wants and needs of the small demographic (which are usually extensive and expensive) to those of the average consumer (which are small and easy), as well as the money (a few people paying a lot compared to bazillions of people paying little).

There is a reason why the major synth companies don't waste their time with serious analog synths, and spend all of their time making boxes that make amateurs sound to themselves like professionals. It's where the money is.

For me personally, it's already frustrating enough that most people can't tell what is so special about the sound of Moog synthesizers. Software/iPhone apps/etc. give people the impression that there isn't anything special about it, and anything with the Moog brand name is equal to anything else with the Moog brand name (software or otherwise). Of course, this isn't Moog's fault, but branching into novelty consumerware isn't going to help the issue.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:26 pm

The problem is that if the company which manufactures your precision musical equipment starts catering to the specifically-consumer market, they discover that that is where the money is,
I don't think Moog Music was ever unaware of this.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

derekmather

Post by derekmather » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:50 pm

almost looks like a copy of Bebot...
If the brain was simple enough that we could understand it, we'd be simple enough that we couldn't understand it.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:09 am

http://filtatron.moogmusic.com/

looks cool, i'm getting on for sure :)
Little Phatty Stage II, MF-101, MF-102, MF-107, MP-201, EP-2

Veeger

Post by Veeger » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:14 am

MarkM wrote:
The problem is that if the company which manufactures your precision musical equipment starts catering to the specifically-consumer market, they discover that that is where the money is,
I don't think Moog Music was ever unaware of this.

right on mark!

:lol: