looking at guitar looping pedals to use with the LP

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Dan Asteroid

looking at guitar looping pedals to use with the LP

Post by Dan Asteroid » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:18 pm

I want to be able while playing live to just punch in and create a looped phase punch out and then play over the top of it on the Little Phatty , anyone doing this using a guitar looping pedal ? Anyone doing it another way ?

EMwhite

Re: looking at guitar looping pedals to use with the LP

Post by EMwhite » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:27 pm

I have a BOSS LoopStation RC-2 (about $190), not cheap. I bought it mostly as a Bass trainer as it has several drum beats onboard, tape adjustable tempo, etc.

The whole deal with tempo and the drum/click track might seem foreign at first, especially if you have drums coming from a live drummer or from a drum machine, but in this case it is vital so that when you stomp to stop the loop, it ends on an even 'measure' boundary.

I modd'ed mine so that all of the controls can be external (3 pedals) and I have it mounted up high ontop of my Bass amp. It gets the job done.

Boss makes a higher end loopstation that is double-wide (mine is traditional guitar pedal size). I'm sure there are others out there worth looking at. Many digital delays have this function built in, one of which is the Hardwire which is decent.

I assume you are looking for something integrated, not an Ableton setup?
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Krinor

Post by Krinor » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:54 am

I sometimes play around with a Boss RC-20XL with my LP. I find that using it to lay down some funky basslines etc and then jamming over that, improves my playing technique considerably.

I have owned both the RC-2 and now the RC-20XL. To my knowledge you can't turn off the quantize function on the RC-2. This is a bummer since everything you do on the looper will then be brutally time-synced to the internal rhythm track/tempo. With the RC-20 you can turn off the qunatize function. It is harder to make perfect loops this way, but much more fun!

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:11 am

Krinor wrote:I sometimes play around with a Boss RC-20XL with my LP. I find that using it to lay down some funky basslines etc and then jamming over that, improves my playing technique considerably.

I have owned both the RC-2 and now the RC-20XL. To my knowledge you can't turn off the quantize function on the RC-2. This is a bummer since everything you do on the looper will then be brutally time-synced to the internal rhythm track/tempo. With the RC-20 you can turn off the qunatize function. It is harder to make perfect loops this way, but much more fun!
And I didn't mention it, but the RC-2 is low budget to the extent that there is no external connectivity (ie. no midi or anyway to sync or send clock) so it's pretty much a one trick pony but as mentioned, good for laying down tracks while working on song parts or your dexterity.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

narrowcaster

Post by narrowcaster » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:47 am

I use a Digitech Jamman (the early two-pedal model) for this. For what I do, most of the time the Boos-style time signature and quantization features get in the way and need to be turned off, so the Jamman is perfect. It has pretty good I/O options, large and expandable storage, no extra features that I don't need, and the sound is fine. But it probably wouldn't be as good for fitting loops into set tempos and arrangements, syncing with other instruments, etc., so the answer depends a lot on your overall situation.

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:33 pm

I've got a Digitech Jamman i'm selling - contact me off the list.

It was fairly useful for playing live, you can stop and restart the loop on the fly which was useful.

johnll

Post by johnll » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:41 pm

I'm partial to the Line 6 DL4. Not cheap either. And I've found it's hard to be precise with the looper part of the pedal. But the looper is great for simulating good old fashioned tape delay. And some folks complain in other Forums that they break easily. Not such great recommendations :) But I still like it a lot!

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:19 pm

I'm going after the EHX 2880 soon...

Krinor

Post by Krinor » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:22 am

latigid on wrote:I'm going after the EHX 2880 soon...
...and that is probably one of the coolest loopers out there. You can easily lay down complete songs with that one.

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:59 am

I use a Eventide Time Factor which is a echo pedal which also has a loop function.