Moog Slim Phatty, aka WTF is this? :)

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
CTRLSHFT

Moog Slim Phatty, aka WTF is this? :)

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:47 pm

Name: SLIM PHATTY
IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Sound frequency filters for controlling audio parameters by raising or lowering the gain of specific audio frequencies using a multiple resonant filter array and animating those frequencies using a built-in pattern generator
IC 015. US 002 021 036. G & S: Electronic musical keyboards; music synthesizers; theremins and musical instruments in general
Serial Number: 85057381
Filing Date: June 8, 2010
APPLICANT: Moog Music, Inc. CORPORATION NORTH CAROLINA 2004-E Riverside Drive Asheville NORTH CAROLINA 28804
Attorney of Record: William S. Fultz
Type of Mark: TRADEMARK

source: http://www.synthgear.com/2010/synthesiz ... im-phatty/

Sounds exactly like the MuRF, so I'm not sure what to expect. Discuss.
www.ctrlshft.com

EMwhite

Re: Moog Slim Phatty, aka WTF is this? :)

Post by EMwhite » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:02 pm

Oh no... here we go again.

Yes, I saw that last week while researching what might be up with XL. Gov, maintains a Trademark db with a search feature and you'll find that text registered there. Apple (Inc.) mongers scan trademark and patent db's daily to try and find out what they are up to next.

I wasn't about to post anything here because I didn't want to kick off a frenzy, but you did (ha!) so I'll just say that I'm looking fwd to it. It must be as has been much speculated, a module version of the LP. Will it be economical enough to purchase 3 and get yourself a 4 voice Poly (using your LP or Voyager as a master)? Maybe.

Considering the quantity of LPs that Moog has pushed out and considering the penchant that people have for desktop/rack sound sources, I think whatever it is, if priced right is going to be a blockbuster.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:07 pm

EMwhite wrote:Oh no... here we go again.

Yes, I saw that last week while researching what might be up with XL. Gov, maintains a Trademark db with a search feature and you'll find that text registered there. Apple (Inc.) mongers scan trademark and patent db's daily to try and find out what they are up to next.

I wasn't about to post anything here because I didn't want to kick off a frenzy, but you did (ha!) so I'll just say that I'm looking fwd to it. It must be as has been much speculated, a module version of the LP. Will it be economical enough to purchase 3 and get yourself a 4 voice Poly (using your LP or Voyager as a master)? Maybe.

Considering the quantity of LPs that Moog has pushed out and considering the penchant that people have for desktop/rack sound sources, I think whatever it is, if priced right is going to be a blockbuster.
I thought the same thing, and then decided anyone who spends any amount of time on a Moog forum probably will want to frenzy about this. :mrgreen:

I'm inclined to agree about rackable-aspect, slim to me indicates a 2-3 rack space unit with definitely something in common w/ the MuRF. With the LP moniker I wonder if it really will be a itty-bitty LP. Really looking forward to it. :)
www.ctrlshft.com

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:51 pm

This is wicked... absolutely wicked.. If I had just 2 of these added to what I got.. I have 4 polyphony moog right there... which is mostly perfect for what I need.... do it up Moog!

And just release a poly already.. u know ur customers are dieing for it.. we know ur thinking of it.. working on it.. just give us some crumbs already. haha
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

BrianK

Post by BrianK » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:48 am

Note it says nothing about oscillators, just filters.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:44 pm

BrianK wrote:Note it says nothing about oscillators, just filters.
If I'm not mistaken, that's a generic description that Moog has used in the past to say it's a synth. [That description sounds an awful lot like a MurF doesn't it?]

Trademark is a trademark despite the description; doesn't even have to be vaguely similar, product wise in order for there to be cause for a lawsuit, but their locking in the name secures their ownership. Only a matter of time now... (I predict a mid-fall release accompanied by a new version of code which is backwards compatible to other LPs.)
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:46 pm

The description definately sounds like a MURF. Does registering a trademark name protect the name even if the product description changes? I am just wondering if they put the description of a MURF in there and then will change the product description when they are ready to release something. The name definately sounds like an LP rack. What's the description for the trademark on the MURF? If it is exactly the same then I bet that's what they did.

edit: answered above by EMwhite

Krinor

Post by Krinor » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:24 pm

Source:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=s ... 4sjdjj.1.1

Remove the date example and enter "moog" in the search bar below, labeled "Search term". Slim Phatty comes up third on the list.

See also the old entry for Little Phatty (#10 on the list), and others. The two entries share IC 015. US 002 021 036. G & S: "Electronic musical keyboards; music synthesizers."

I'm ready to pre-order. 8)

P.S. As can be seen by searching; the Freqbox and the Murf both share "IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Sound frequency filters for controlling audio parameters by raising or lowering the gain of specific audio frequencies using a multiple resonant filter array and animating those frequencies using a built-in pattern generator."

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:02 pm

Krinor wrote:Source:

(stuff deleted)...

I'm ready to pre-order. 8)
Eric, this might be a strange statement but there is nothing like the Little Phatty. My Tribute was my first Moog product, but I've since brought on a Voyager OS, Taurus, etc.

The Phatty is such a nimble machine; something about the layout and the 'bite' that patches have are just unsurpassed. I've modeled/transcribed several patches from the Phatty to my VOS and there always appears to be something missing, even without Overdrive. Of course Voyagers filter is more capable and the 3rd OSC, mod options offer much more than you can get on a Phatty, but believe me... once you get this new box, assuming it's going to be what we all suspect it will be, you'll see what I mean.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:09 pm

My first impression of the Phatty wasn't spectacular.

I like the looks of it, I finally got to play one at GC a few years ago. I had owned a Voyager prior to that and when I experimented with the Stage I, I was not impressed with the build quality and the feel of the keyboard. I understand they drastically imprived the keybed since then (2006). The sounds was great, just, I didn't trust those pots very much.

I have since been to the factory and have seen the Solar editions on the burn-in rack and they look fantastic. I haven't touched one since then though so.

My overall impression of the build quality of the stage 1 was not exactly an A+

No complaints about the sound...in fact I think having a RME version of the phatty as asn expander for the Voyager would be nice.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:02 pm

You got me on the build quality, or at least on the keyboard. It's fine and all, but not Fatar (keys a bit short) and has no aftertouch/pressure. Mine is a tribute so the wood ends make it seem alot nicer overall.

Otherwise, it's solid. Pots ARE to be trusted, they are one hell of a great piece of engineering so embrace them!

Unsure how a new, potentially rack based unit will be designed; RME, DSI Prophet and heck, even Virus'es all have ALL controls upfront, not exactly thin. Put it in a 2 RU and lose precious real estate.

The original mono-evolver was a nightmare with all of those encoders; some 'rack' packaging (such as Jomox AirBase) have next to NO controls on the front... it's anybodies guess.

If I'm Moog, I'm squeezing a Phatty into the form factor of the CP-251 but full rack width with just about all controls up front. Leave it as a desktop or rack-it. But the existing Phatty board won't fit! [ever see the inside of a Phatty or were curious about 'how they do dat?' Hop over the the Phatty forum, about to post some pics including CV mod].

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:25 pm

interesting, i'm definately staying tuned :)
Little Phatty Stage II, MF-101, MF-102, MF-107, MP-201, EP-2

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:19 am

When this came up about the Taurus trademark......wasn't the description also of the MURF? I really can't remember AND I haven't been able to locate that old thread anywhere. I think there was something on talkbass about it or on the harmonny central forum. Also, I can't find the trademark aplication on any google searches.

Maybe one of you remembers.

MC? Anyone?

Eric

Krinor

Post by Krinor » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:13 am

EricK wrote:When this came up about the Taurus trademark......wasn't the description also of the MURF? I really can't remember AND I haven't been able to locate that old thread anywhere. I think there was something on talkbass about it or on the harmonny central forum. Also, I can't find the trademark aplication on any google searches.

Maybe one of you remembers.

MC? Anyone?

Eric
Here you go:

"Word Mark TAURUS
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Sound frequency filters for controlling audio parameters by raising or lowering the gain of specific audio frequencies using a resonant filter. FIRST USE: 20100113. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20100113

IC 015. US 002 021 036. G & S: Electronic musical keyboards; music synthesizers. FIRST USE: 20100113. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20100113
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 77184830
Filing Date May 18, 2007
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition November 20, 2007
Registration Number 3781545
Registration Date April 27, 2010
Owner (REGISTRANT) Moog Music, Inc. CORPORATION NORTH CAROLINA 2004-E Riverside Drive Asheville NORTH CAROLINA 28804
Attorney of Record William S. Fultz
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE"

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:10 am

So I guess that is just a general description as a required field for processing the trademark, rather than prodiving a revealing description of the product to come.

You can surely expect a Slim Phatty at some point perhaps.

Eric