Voyager XL!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
ARP

Re: Voyager XL!

Post by ARP » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:16 pm

Great observation ! hopefully someone from Moog will answer your question.
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:55 pm

Nick Montoya wrote:It says that " it starts with Model D Oscillators" .... ?

I am curious as to whether or not the actual Model D Osc's were recreated (ala Taurus III style) .. If so, I think that this is a different instrument all together...

Are they Voyager Oscs or NEW Model D circuit copied Oscs ??

I think owners of both Voyager and Model D (like me :) ) know how greatly the two Minis differ. So if they did use the old discreet model D osc circuit, this might be the best Minimoog ever! ?

- Nick
Aw, hell...I want one now if this is the case... :x
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

baward09

Post by baward09 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:15 pm

Krinor wrote:
Looks like Moog Music just went ahead and won the race to the nearest star system or something. I wonder what the guys at Korg are thinking now... They're probably tearing up their plans for the Monotron XL. :lol:
Ironic thought on the design; this seems to owe more than a little to the Korg MS10/MS-20, except laid out the opposite way round :)

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:38 pm

Oh my... :shock:

Looks like I'll be selling every synth I own (except my Prophet '08) and ordering one of these. I wonder if they will eventually have a backlighting option - I would really like one in a Nova SE whitewash with Indigo lighting version...

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:26 pm

Nick Montoya wrote:It says that " it starts with Model D Oscillators" .... ?

I am curious as to whether or not the actual Model D Osc's were recreated (ala Taurus III style) .. If so, I think that this is a different instrument all together...

Are they Voyager Oscs or NEW Model D circuit copied Oscs ??

I think owners of both Voyager and Model D (like me :) ) know how greatly the two Minis differ. So if they did use the old discreet model D osc circuit, this might be the best Minimoog ever! ?

- Nick
moogmusic wrote:the Minimoog Voyager XL is a sonic powerhouse that pays homage to important milestones in the Moog synthesizer legacy. It starts with the heart of a Minimoog Model D. Fat oscillators and warm Moog filters give it that unmistakable Moog sound
To me this sounds like the regular product desctiption of the Voyager. If Nick understood this to imply that it has a D's Oscillators, their paragraph also mentions the filters, so using that same logic, it has a Model D's filter as well. I don't think that this is the case. If you analyze the product description of the Taurus 3:
moogmusic wrote:The new Moog Taurus 3 Bass Pedals faithfully recreate the sound of the legendary Taurus I. We started with an in-depth analysis of the original circuitry, and then added modern amenities like MIDI and USB. We didn’t stop until we had created a work of art that can knock down a small building.
MC would be the first to argue that the sound of the Mini is the sum of all of its componants, and that the D's Osc is a falling ramp Osc, the picture of the XL in keyboard Magazine shows the osc section to look exactly like the Voyager's Osc section as described on the front panel, indicating to me that the output would be the same:

What would be the point of making the original Oscs, and not the Filters and VCA? It would simply start a bunch of complaining that they should have just made the Voyager that way from the beginning (this argument has already appeared on their facebook page in regards to the added CV panel) and that is STILL doesn't sound the same as the Model D and therefore no reason to buy it. SOmetimes people just hate on Moog.

I think if it DID contain the original Osc layout then they would specify somewhere in the product description or in the specs like they do in the Taurus 3 specs. They do say this though which to me seems to put this issue to bed
moogmusic wrote:From the current Voyager lineage, the XL inherits a 100% analog signal path with stable oscillators, patch storage, touch surface, pot mapping and extensive MIDI control functionality. To all this, add a ribbon controller and 61 note keyboard and you have a monster analog monosynth built on a 40 year legacy of sonic exploration.

Sorry, Im not out to crush everyones gear lust, and I'll call myself a charlaton if Im wrong lol.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

BrianK

Post by BrianK » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:12 am

I see this XL as just something so the touring player can use the Voyager as a controller for a laptop or rack. It makes it possible to leave one more controller at home. You NEED the Voyager onstage for its sonics and controls. So using it with a larger keyboard seems a good solution when controlling other MIDI sources. I LOVE playing external modules with strings and samples and them routing them back through the Voyager, an old trick someone showed me long ago. This will make it far more useful for that.

A 61 key controller is not useless for a mono synth; look at the original modulars. Many a time I've wanted to glide down just one more octave - and couldn't.

I also own the 251 and 351 modules and found them tough to use when the Voyager is not (literally) on a big table. They are impossible (although I love what they do) when your Voyager is on a keyboard stand (they are fine on the floor with pedals though). The XL is a simple and elegant way to combine those modules and simplify the patching options I love to use. With this configuration, It will also make a great front end keyboard for a modular system...

I can't see waiting for a poly synth. They would cost an arm and a leg, or lose the sonic quality I get from Moog gear. I cannot see buying a Prophet-V-style retro thing for $6000. Other people have tried it - it's not a big market.

MC

Post by MC » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:58 am

The XL looks lovely but I don't have a place for it. I just purchased a new truck so my disposable income is going to be cramped for awhile. Already have a Signature Voyager and some decent MIDI controllers. If that XL were polyphonic, I'd be all over it.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:02 pm

MC wrote:... If that XL were polyphonic, I'd be all over it.
I'm relieved to some extent that it's not polyphonic. Only because I don't have the cash right now either and my Old School + 351 get the job done. (don't yet have a CP-251 but have a Pedal and other ways to create LFOs, etc.)

Between the time that the pictures were leaked and the details/announcement was made, the Engineer in me was trying to work out exactly how they would be able to fit expansion 'boards' inside the packaging. It's just too tight.

Am hoping that when the Poly is eventually released it will be something completely different, but still a product built on Moog quality and integrity.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

HB3

Post by HB3 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:12 pm

EMwhite wrote: Am hoping that when the Poly is eventually released it will be something completely different, but still a product built on Moog quality and integrity.
Flat top!

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:22 pm

I wonder if the pots are RAC-like and if there will be an arp/step seqencer in its future?
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

bhrama

Post by bhrama » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:24 pm

I think Bob would dig it, Happy B-day Moog! This thing looks boss, and sadly out of reach for the time being. I assume they'll be of limited run.
P6, Tempest, Sub37

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:18 pm

HB3 wrote:
EMwhite wrote: Am hoping that when the Poly is eventually released it will be something completely different, but still a product built on Moog quality and integrity.
Flat top!
Agreed. On both counts. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

derekmather

Post by derekmather » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:42 pm

sounds like some people dig it, and others don't. Definitely people that dont have a voyager would get this over a regular voyager.
If the brain was simple enough that we could understand it, we'd be simple enough that we couldn't understand it.

jon_kull

Post by jon_kull » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:15 pm

derekmather wrote:Definitely people that dont have a voyager would get this over a regular voyager.
I'm inclined to disagree considering you can buy a Performer, VX-351 and CP-251 and still have roughly $1500 left over for an assortment of 'Foogers or something like a Prophet 8 rack.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:40 pm

Don't knock the 5 Octave keyboard and the all-in-one packaging.

Companies like Novation sell their award winning SL25 mk II mid controller for $499 USD.

Their 61 key lists for $749. They too use Fatar key beds but the features of the rest of the controller are identica (and they are not subcontracting custom hardwood cabinets).

I do have a question about how integrated or not the ribbon controller is. Will it map directly to the x-axis of the touch pad with some z action bound to pressure, will it be pure CV and up to the 'programmer' to patch the CV someplace, or will it be represented in software with full control? (I didn't see a mod bus option for it).

Eitherway, $5k is the price of admission. 10 years from now, it's going to fetch a tidy sum. There will be buyers, albeit a limited set but they've succeeded in drawing attention to the greatness of Moog once again so don't knock that, it can only benefit all of us.

/soapbox
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!