New Old School On The Way?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Jaguarfooger

New Old School On The Way?

Post by Jaguarfooger » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:33 pm

At the suggestion of another contributor to the forums, I read the book "Analog Days" by Trevor Pinch and Frank Trocco (published just a few years before Dr. Moog died). It accounts for a wide range of narratives about the creation and use of the analog synthesizer from the 1950s to the early 1980s/1990s. A highly recommended read for anyone who visits this forum regularly.

The book got me particularly interested in modular synthesizers and thinking about how I might get my own modular system someday. As I looked into what is out there, my attention ultimately focused upon the Voyager Old School as a good choice: It has a lot of built-in design features that seem to recreate the experience of playing a modular synthesizer, it has a wider range of possible sounds than my current synthesizer, and it would fit in well with the other analog gear I already have...

Thinking that the Voyager OS was discontinued, I e-mailed a number of Moog dealers asking about the price range of any new, open box, or used instruments. One response from ------------------------ in Austin, TX surprised me. The message read--"Yes, we can get a new Old School. Moog has started making them again, thankfully."

Can anyone (particularly from Moog) confirm/elaborate on this?

Also, could any Voyager OS owners with first hand modular experience weigh in on my thoughts/expectations about playing with this instrument? I'm not so much interested in playing it as a keyboard (although this is a feature that I do want to have)--but in setting up patches and exploring sounds by turning knobs...Does the Voyager OS afford the same kind of "magic" of fooling with a bigger/more expensive system?
Last edited by Jaguarfooger on Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just Me

Re: New Old School On The Way?

Post by Just Me » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:25 pm

Although it is a very cool machine, it doesn't come close to the modular vibe. Not being able to repatch the oscilators or use the VCA for anything but final output, etc. That is why I have a modular. An OS is normalled for the standard OSC-VCF-VCA. With a modular, you can do it any way you want.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Jaguarfooger

Modular recommendations

Post by Jaguarfooger » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:17 pm

I just spoke with my contact at the music store who was just on the phone with Moog in regards to the future availability of the Voyager Old School. Seems like he was in error; the official line from Moog is that the Voyager OS is not due to be reissued.

This is a bummer--it it's features look like a really good match to what I would like to do. I hope that in the near future, Moog reconsiders producing more of these instruments. In the meantime, can anyone offer any insights about what the price range for second hand Voyager Old Schools might be? Has anyone bought one second hand?

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:57 pm

There are still some new ones out there. 2 On eBay right now. Use searchtempest.com to find it on craigslist in multiple areas.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:00 pm

Looks like they are all gone. I freaked out when I saw that Moog wouldn't be making any more a year ago and bought a whitewash from NovaMusik (it was openbox but absolutely perfect).

Checked Humbucker who usually has product hanging around and no dice. Maybe eBay at this point.

Speaking of 'better hurry up and grab one', NovaMusik has a Taurus III Demo for $1,799 which is a damn good price (but I have a feeling that Moog may be making another run of them, that is unless they are onto something bigger/else).
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

gmcerveny

Post by gmcerveny » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:49 am

Sold my white wash os with ata case for $1600 on craigslist.
LP Stage II w/ CV mod, MF-101, MF-102, MF-104, MF-107, EP-2, MP-201, CP-251

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:10 am

gmcerveny wrote:Sold my white wash os with ata case for $1600 on craigslist.
Better change your signature; you are no longer part of the club... boo hiss !! (just kidding)

What did you move onto instead? Just curious.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

gmcerveny

Post by gmcerveny » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:31 pm

EMwhite wrote:
gmcerveny wrote:Sold my white wash os with ata case for $1600 on craigslist.
Better change your signature; you are no longer part of the club... boo hiss !! (just kidding)

What did you move onto instead? Just curious.
Not sure yet what I'll replace it with. I'm using an mpc to sequence and was really missing the MIDI integration.

Right now I'm just using the phatty. I could see a voyager performer or rack in my future.

Signature Updated!
LP Stage II w/ CV mod, MF-101, MF-102, MF-104, MF-107, EP-2, MP-201, CP-251

miniluke

Post by miniluke » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi folks,

I think there were built at least more than 500 Old Schools:
Re: Post your Old School serial number!

Postby halez » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:45 am
# 0510 Reykjavík, Iceland
A certificate shows, that Don Solaris got the last on (# 500) :?:

How many have been really made in the end? :roll:

Bests,
Luke

Don Solaris

Post by Don Solaris » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:47 am

miniluke wrote:A certificate shows, that Don Solaris got the last on (# 500) :?:
I've been told in the meantime some additional units will be built.
Voyager Old School serial:500
Moog Minimoog serial:3438

The Analog Organist

Post by The Analog Organist » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:35 pm

There were actually 575+ Voyager Old Schools produced.
Last edited by The Analog Organist on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

miniluke

Post by miniluke » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:40 pm

The Analog Organist wrote:There were actually about 575 Voyager Old Schools produced.
Hi Analog Organist,
The serial number thread tells, that there must be at least ~650. Do you mean 675?

Best regards,
Luke :wink:

The Analog Organist

Post by The Analog Organist » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:00 pm

I stand corrected.

pluto009

Post by pluto009 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:56 pm

Mine cost me £1200 (UK pounds) secondhand. Took a while to find one though.

Raglani

Post by Raglani » Wed May 04, 2011 8:42 am

How many WHITE WASH OS were made?
Moog Voyager Old School Whitewash, Moog Murf, Moog Ring Modulator, Doepfer Modular System, Modified Arp Avatar, DSI Mopho Keyboard, DSI Tetra, Sidrassi Organ, Roland Space Echo and Motu 828 (on the fritz!). http://pegasusfarmsrecords.com/